Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFNA 1/8 Buggy For My 9 Year Old Son?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default OFNA 1/8 Buggy For My 9 Year Old Son?

LOL. Sorry but I see this kind of thread almost daily.

All RTR

Hyper 7 TQ Black?

Ultra MBX?

Picco?

Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Hey Dish. I ran the Hyper 7 for 5 years, and it is an awesome buggy. You cant go wrong with it, and there are a ton of cheep parts available at Nitrohouse and on Ebay. If your boy wants to drop it on a track, it is ready to rip! Not like many other buggies out there.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Jaz

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the 7 but wanted to throw it out to see what everyone thoughts were. Pros and Cons!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Hey Dish,
What do you run? Maybe get a used version of yours so you can share parts and you know the setup, etc.

My seven year old runs what I run. His might not have quite as many hopups, and I run a mild engine on his so it is easier for him to wheel, but we both run 8ight T's and share parts. Same starter box too.
Electric - we both run the same truck also. Many benefits to staying with the same cars.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Jkas

I am running the losi 8 buggy rtr. I thougth about that as well but wouldnt be cool to have two diffrent buggys. I swear this stuff is like collecting hot wheels.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
I swear this stuff is like collecting hot wheels.

ya ain't lyin' LOL!

I got over that and started getting him the same stuff I had when I looked at how much $$$ I was spending...

He doesn't care what brand he drives. He is more concerned about how the body is painted

We have our two 8T's and then I have an 8B also so we have really piled up the spare parts that work on all three vehicles.

Just get what you think is cool and you'll be happy with your choice. Instead of getting what someone else thinks would be cool.

Good luck and have fun racing with your son. It can be a ton of fun, and frustration, piled into an afternoon LOL!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have a hyper 7 TQ not so impressed with the engine on it... personally its garbage. the buggy is great! engine not so. so if you were to get one id say run it till it breaks... then buy a different mill.

but id definatly say you could do well with a hyper7.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I'll tell you what I know about all 3 buggies on your list.

The Picco will have the best engine, and the best shocks (big bores) it has a very high ride height and its a great basher but terrible on a track as the high center of gravity makes the jumping and handling suck

The Ultra MBX is the same as the Picco without the good engine. ( it comes with a crappy force engine that has less power than your hair dryer) it also has the original tiny shocks. it also has the high ride like the picco, so it has all the negatives the Picco buggy has, with none of the good stuff. Avoid the MBX at all costs.

The Hyper has a a pretty bad engine also, and so-so shocks, but the Hyper is a racer! it is one of the first buggies to be designed with racing in mind, it has a low center of gravity, and all the mass is moved to the driveline. Also the ride height is made for racing, so it handles and jumps better than allot of other buggies.

all 3 will need better servo's and better engines when the stockers give up the ghost, but the Picco is a basher buggy, and the Hyper is a racer buggy, and the MBX is just a crappy buggy. If you want your son to enjoy the hobby as much as you do, stick with the Hyper, then you guys can bash, or go to the track and both have fun, instead of you flippin his car over for him all day
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the Hyper7 and the Hyper8 are great machines... can't go wrong with them..

hell.... I am selling my H7 & H8 Pro for just $300 w/some parts for both buggies

Last edited by D8; 01-08-2009 at 11:11 PM.