Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help with how to rebuild a v spec!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default need help with how to rebuild a v spec!

whats up guys, i am about to rebuild my vspec and have never rebuilt a motor before and dont wanna break somethin or tear somethin up i need to put back on there, anyone have a link to somewhere that tells ya how? or just what to do? thanks!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

rebuild complete! when i break it in i was thinkin about just idling it for like a gallon or so so its closer to the sweet spot they hit around 1 1/2 to 2 gallons, anyone know if doin that is bad, good or does it matter? thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Tech Regular

i wouldnt idle it for a gallon mabe a tank then welll..... just follow the breakin bible at the top of the page
Old 05-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Never idle an engine for a gallon, ever. Preheat the engine with a heat gun or hair dryer. Fire it up, gently clear it out and get a stable idle. Throw the car down and drive it easy at a slightly rich setting for a tank. Shut it down, set the piston to the bottom of the stroke. Let it cool completely. Repeat this process about 6-8 times, each time letting the rpms get a little higher. Try to keep the temp above 180F, 200-240F is ideal for breakin. Some engines don't run that warm though, that's why I say 180F at a minimum.
After about 8 tanks, lean the engine just enough to perform good and leave it there until the mechanical pinch relaxes. Then give her af ull race tune. Running too rich is just as bad as running too lean.
Did you just put a new piston, sleeve and rod?
If so you need to replace the engine bearings if they have not been replaced recently.
A lot of people replace pistons and sleeves when all they needed in the first place was a set of bearings.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Not to thread jack, but I have a question that relates to this topic. I will be needing to replace the piston and sleeve on my v-spec. My question is can I put just the sleeve and piston/rod from the ninja in it, or do I need the crank too? I read somewhere on here that if you put the 5 port sleeve in the smaller v-spec case the motor is a beast. I'm just not sure if you need the crank too.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by spierski0313
Not to thread jack, but I have a question that relates to this topic. I will be needing to replace the piston and sleeve on my v-spec. My question is can I put just the sleeve and piston/rod from the ninja in it, or do I need the crank too? I read somewhere on here that if you put the 5 port sleeve in the smaller v-spec case the motor is a beast. I'm just not sure if you need the crank too.
Yes you can, here is the link to the thread you read.....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...surprised.html
Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScroggJL21
Never idle an engine for a gallon, ever. Preheat the engine with a heat gun or hair dryer. Fire it up, gently clear it out and get a stable idle. Throw the car down and drive it easy at a slightly rich setting for a tank. Shut it down, set the piston to the bottom of the stroke. Let it cool completely. Repeat this process about 6-8 times, each time letting the rpms get a little higher. Try to keep the temp above 180F, 200-240F is ideal for breakin. Some engines don't run that warm though, that's why I say 180F at a minimum.
After about 8 tanks, lean the engine just enough to perform good and leave it there until the mechanical pinch relaxes. Then give her af ull race tune. Running too rich is just as bad as running too lean.
Did you just put a new piston, sleeve and rod?
If so you need to replace the engine bearings if they have not been replaced recently.
A lot of people replace pistons and sleeves when all they needed in the first place was a set of bearings.
i replaced everything but the bearings! lol crank and all, i droped jx internals in it
Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

If you'd like it rebuilt drop me a PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by vida
i replaced everything but the bearings! lol crank and all, i droped jx internals in it
I would not dare run it. Pick up some Boca or TKO ceramic bearings for it. It's not hard at all to swap bearings.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

35 bucks and alot of piece of mind.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vida
Bearings do go bad and are consumable. Replacing them at a rebuild should be sop.