Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken hex driver tip in screw...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Broken hex driver tip in screw...

Any brilliant ideas on how to get this sucker out?

I got a decent deal on the car from somebody on here, so I'm not complaining. Just wondering if anybody has any ideas to pull the tip out of this sucker. I know I could slot the screw and back it out with a screwdriver, but I'd rather salvage the screw if possible.

Sorry for the crap picture...my hobby is playing with toy cars, not photography
Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Other than destroying the screw maybe a heavy duty magnet or some metal to metal glue? I'd just toast the screw and throw in a new one. You should have a whole mess of spares anyway.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Maybe epoxy the tip of something to just the broken part you want to remove and pull it out?? Maybe drill it out (pretty precise though)?? I was going to suggest slotting it.

Let me know what you figure out, I'm sure I'll have that happen at some point.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

If you are careful you can take a cutoff wheel and a dremel to make a slot through the screw and you should be able to back it out. Your concave washer will probably be trash but you should be able to get the screw out. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys

I've broken tips in screws before, but they always left just enough to grab a hold with a pair of pliers.

Guess I'll just suck it up, hack up the screw, and deal with it:P
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

if you have time and your car is not thrashed now.. go drive it ive had that happen and the tip fell out.. but if your car is in need of help now than hack that thang,,, and good luck
Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Well, the problem is that it came like that in the first place (bought used)

It's been driven since then (it looks like) and has track rash on it just like the rest of the chassis.

Went ahead and busted out the dremel...these suckers are T I G H T!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

bummer
Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

The guy did probably use permanent loctite or something like that. If you have a small blow torch, I would try to heat localy the motor mount. Loctite start to fail over 300° c.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Got 'er done. To tell the truth, the only reason I messed with the engine mount is because I put the 14t bell in my cart on amain...and then when I went to finalize my order, it was on backorder! Argh! so, I just went with a 13t bell.

1.1 springs and 13 teeth...it should be a rocket on the holeshots, LOL.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i have has this happen a few times.. i always use the tip of a utility knife to work it out..
Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

Sod's Law! I was reading this thread yesterday.. out of interest and how to remove the broken tip ect.. 20 mins after. Went to give my buggy a big clean/Check over.. and then to find The exact same thing happend to me, As I wasnt happy with my Engine position, Tried Loosening the engine mount then to hear snap! So, now have to wait till friday night when Im back home to try and Get a dremel on it. As I tried removing it, but it to wedged in.. So may wait till I transfer my stuff into my New Chassis as my one is slightly bent... After a run away incident.. 6 months ago! Happy Days haha
Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

remove the 3mm engine screws (yeah, the one that holds the crankcase to the mounts) so you can take out the engine. Now remove the remaining 3 4mm engine screws. Just twist the remaining block anticlockwise, you should hear a 'click' at first. Now since the affected screws is loosened, use your creatitivity to further thread it out. Hope it helps
Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, Thanks man.. that what I was planning on doing, Now I have on order some Decent Allen Key drivers... so Will try that wa before taking the dremel onto it haha thanks

Jamie Kerr
Old 01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14
Sod's Law! I was reading this thread yesterday.. out of interest and how to remove the broken tip ect.. 20 mins after. Went to give my buggy a big clean/Check over.. and then to find The exact same thing happend to me, As I wasnt happy with my Engine position, Tried Loosening the engine mount then to hear snap! So, now have to wait till friday night when Im back home to try and Get a dremel on it. As I tried removing it, but it to wedged in.. So may wait till I transfer my stuff into my New Chassis as my one is slightly bent... After a run away incident.. 6 months ago! Happy Days haha
LOL! Sorry about bringing about some bad luck

Anybody know of a good screw kit for the MBX5R (none of that stainless crap)? all the screws in the chasssis are just absolutely trashed, and maybe half of them actually FIT a hex driver.

Razor, that would have worked quite well for me if it weren't for one of the other screws in the engine mount being boogered up too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.