Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Clutchbell question >

Clutchbell question

Clutchbell question

Reply

Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Clutchbell question

hi there,

i screwed up my clutch bell this weekend because i didn't use loctite, to secure the screw, that is used to hold the clutch bell...it came loose and damaged a few things...
how tight does the screw have to be. i assume that it has to be tight, but not that tight that the bell doesn't spin?! maybe my screw is too short. if it were longer, i wouldn't have had the problem, because i could have tighten it all the way...

i hope i made sense...


thanks,

G
assivaen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 PM
  #2  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Marble Falls, Texas
Posts: 528
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

If you are tightening the screw and the bell gets to where it wont turn, your not shimmed right. Read the owners manual for proper guidelines for shimming. THe screw should be tight, and ther should be a shims worth of end play and the bell should spin freely. You tightening on the race of the bearing and binding it up. U ran it loose to keep the bell spinning but thats why they bell fell off. IMO!?!?
motoclay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
  #3  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 855
Default

Never have used loctite afraid of if you strip out the hex head you really screwed then. From the way you are talking it's not shimmed right
pdmustgt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (49)
 
underway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,377
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Like they said, tighten that screw all the way down. But with shims installed the clutchbell should still spin freely....
underway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 PM
  #5  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by motoclay View Post
If you are tightening the screw and the bell gets to where it wont turn, your not shimmed right. Read the owners manual for proper guidelines for shimming. THe screw should be tight, and ther should be a shims worth of end play and the bell should spin freely. You tightening on the race of the bearing and binding it up. U ran it loose to keep the bell spinning but thats why they bell fell off. IMO!?!?
you got it...that's what happened. i didn't know the word shimming...English is not my mother language...

thanks for the input

G
assivaen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 PM
  #6  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

thanks everyone for the input. i wasn't sure how long the screw has to be. but it makes sense, that it has to be long enough so its shimmed right.
i am not sure though if i have to use loctite or not?


thanks guys

G

p.s. looking to get a new clutch bell. do they all have the same inside diameter?

Last edited by assivaen; 01-04-2009 at 11:09 PM.
assivaen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 PM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
pinky2252s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Broomfield, Colorado
Posts: 3,278
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by assivaen View Post
thanks everyone for the input. i wasn't sure how long the screw has to be. but it makes sense, that it has to be long enough so its shimmed right.
i am not sure though if i have to use loctite or not?


thanks guys

G

p.s. looking to get a new clutch bell. do they all have the same inside diameter?
No, they dont you must buy the one that works for your engine.

Use a small amount of loctite, i just put a small drop on the tip of the screw and screw it in. Most likely it wont get stuck but if it does you can just cut a slot in the head and use a flat head screw driver to get it out
pinky2252s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:16 AM
  #8  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
No, they dont you must buy the one that works for your engine.

Use a small amount of loctite, i just put a small drop on the tip of the screw and screw it in. Most likely it wont get stuck but if it does you can just cut a slot in the head and use a flat head screw driver to get it out
thanks a lot...much appreciated...

G
assivaen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:20 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
yeaklet4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,631
Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)
Default

it depends what is your car
yeaklet4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 AM
  #10  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (35)
 
vladconnery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 992
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
No, they dont you must buy the one that works for your engine.

Use a small amount of loctite, i just put a small drop on the tip of the screw and screw it in. Most likely it wont get stuck but if it does you can just cut a slot in the head and use a flat head screw driver to get it out
+1 cutting a slot in the head of a hex screw is very easy with a dremmel. Then use a flathead to get the screw out. Hand tighten all the way down just a little more for good measure is all the screw needs to be no need to over tighten. Over tightening is how screw heads get stripped and heads break of in shafts. The engine spins the opposite way the screw tightens. That alone with some loctite (blue) never red. Will keep your CB securely in place. Most import is to shim it correctly.
vladconnery is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
  #11  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by yeaklet4 View Post
it depends what is your car
i have a muggy...
assivaen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
pinky2252s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Broomfield, Colorado
Posts: 3,278
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by assivaen View Post
i have a muggy...
so im guessing the losi muggy?
pinky2252s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
  #13  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
so im guessing the losi muggy?
yes, sorry i thought there is only one muggy...i looked in the manual but cant find what the diameter is or what size clutch bell i am supposed to use...

thanks
assivaen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
jamminnay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 2,021
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by underway View Post
Like they said, tighten that screw all the way down. But with shims installed the clutchbell should still spin freely....

+1
jamminnay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:56 PM
  #15  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jamminnay View Post
+1
what does "+1" mean?

thanks
assivaen is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service