Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to this site.. need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

the gs line of cars are good and there rtr's would make good bashing cars and if ya got the stores with there parts then gs would be the way to go plus they will be cheaper than the ky and xray stuff ive had a rtr gs storm and it was a tank took a beating and i only broke 2 parts ever on it
Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pageup
I did a little check... and right now.. I cant find stores that sales

losi team cars.. that means they dont have parts...

so atm.. i have to find a store that would be helping me with parts... after

that i would be able to buy it....

Atm i Really should by kyosho or GS RACING...or Xray casue I got loads of

stores in my country that have spare parts...

so if u can guys... It will help me alot to focus on those brands (kyosho or GS

RACING or Xray)

Thx in advances for all the helpers out there

Best Regards...

My wife bought me a Kyosho US sports truggy for Christmas 2 years ago. She knew I would want a JR radio so she spent an extra $200 for a JR XS3. I never even used the stock radio it is still in a box never even turned on. The stock servos were junk so I upgraded them to Airtronics $100 steering and $75 throttle. Then i started the Kyosho before even one week of running the truck the engine blew a rod. Prob had 8 tanks on it after break in. I dropped another $300 on an OS 30 VG. When I went to change the tires about a month later I discovered that the hubs were an odd 13mm and not the standard 17mm. So I upgraded the axels to CV drives. $50 front and $50 rear. While I was at it I replaced the front and rear center driveshafts to the same CV type another $50. After running the truck with the OS 30 for about 3 months I stripped out the front and rear ring and pinion gear. I had enough with this piece of you know what. A local hobby store owner made me a smoking deal on a Losi 8ight T. Nothing but wear and tear repairs for the last 18 months. I race 2-3 club races a month and I'm not the easiest driver. I am hard on the truck and it finishes the main 9 times out of 10. The 8ight holds up. The Kyosho US Sports cont an initial $350 + 825 for the items listed above in a matter of 1-2 months. I know racers who drive Kyosho STRR's, MP 777 and MP 9's and absolutely love them and they seem to hold up. I’m not knocking the Kyosho product but I cant argue with my personal experience and countless hours of frustration with my US Sports. The point is you can spend a little $$ now and alot later with hours of frustration in diagnosing and fixing problems with Kyosho's RTR's or you can spend prob more $$ up front which will end up being less later and save yourself all the hassle of a product that needs to be upgraded.

If Kyosho, GS Racing and X-Ray are your only choices then try a MP777 WC, MP9 or the X-Ray 808 buggy. It will cost you more to get it going at first but it will be cheaper in the long run. Hope this helps.

P.S my US Sports now collects dust in the garage with all those fancy expensive upgrades are worthless.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Their IS NOTHING wrong with GS..They make a good kit, Most dont really know much about GS racing because they do not have a big presence here in the US..and dont believe the hype on spending huge amounts of money..Get the GS go out and have some fun..Most of "us" forget that sometimes a Pro level car is not really needed and an RTR will fit the bill just fine..Drive it race it and get use to running an 1/8th scale buggy..I ran a GS CL1 Pro for awhile and did just fine with it..It was a GREAT first car, got me in for cheap and it preformed as well as any buggy on the market..for me..
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would run what ever my local shop stock parts for....You if you know you will never make it on a national level racing then any of the GS storm version will be fine for what you plan on doing.....IF you can benifit from having a faster more agile ride and plan on making it big in the racing world then I would buy any high end kit you can get parts for locally..Because if you can drive it doesn`t matter what your driving....

Have you ever consider the Jammin line..There RT`s are well built but like all rtr`s there electronics are faulty.....Amain has the Jammin x1x rtr or the x1x kit ........There is a Jammin x2 kit that just came out but it pricey

The X2 is Jammin new release and the X1X is the older model but it is still very competitive

Have you considered running what your friends are running so you can share set up info and parts....It would suck to have you day of fun ended early because you broke a part..If you break a part and you have the same ride as your friends if you don`t have the part they might
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

[QUOTE=pageup;5250839]I did a little check... and right now.. I cant find stores that sales

losi team cars.. that means they dont have parts...

so atm.. i have to find a store that would be helping me with parts... after

that i would be able to buy it....

Atm i Really should by kyosho or GS RACING...or Xray casue I got loads of

stores in my country that have spare parts...

so if u can guys... It will help me alot to focus on those brands (kyosho or GS

RACING or Xray)

Xray, did u say Xray? Yes get that!

Seriously if you buy a kit and build it there is a certain satisfaction to getting your car built just right. I think part of the fun of this hobby is picking out the better parts to build with. Save up now and do it right the 1st time.

Amainhobbies.com has all the Losi parts you can eat. They usually ship quicker than my local store can get parts. So I wouldn't rule out the Losi kit just yet. Especially at 300 for a 8 race roller.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If you can afford XRAY, by all means go for it. You said $300-$400, and your not touching XRAY for that much unless you buy used. Amain has the 808 buggy for $539 on sale, but it needs another $500 worth of stuff
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am fairly new like yourself. I purchased a losi 8 rtr and have had great luck after a few gallons so far. I know it was mentioned that somewhere had it for $500 but I got mine at a place called carolinasrc.com, here is a place to look at it

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idProduct=2889

I see on the front page they have a extra $25 savings for a special. I think it will be maybe $430 once you use the code.

My brother has raced a long time and races for losi. This is the reason I chose losi because of the dedication on the Horizon/Losi part. I would just get things you need for the buggy and learn to drive it and work on it. If you take good care of it you will have much fun. In the future you can make upgrades as you learn more. That's what I did. Hope this helps you.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Newbie's do not want a kit as you will spend too much on motor, radio, servo's, tires and such.
Get an 8ight RTR and you get all of the stuff to run(motor,radio,servo's, batteries) and when money and desire to win becomes better get some high end servo's.
Their +1 for a reason, great car, available worldwide and great sevice and price. And the first breed is on sale.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Funny you speak of Losi being #1 for a reason. I was just looking on their site and found a recap of the season for losi, I don;t think any other manf can claim this!

"A recap of the titles that belong to Losi for 2008 make a huge statement to the Offroad community. Team Losi drivers were able to grab many championships throughout the World and the US. Big thanks go out to all Team Losi drivers who do battle on a weekly basis to showcase their talent and put the Losi products to the test. Week in and week out, the titles just keep adding up. For 08 the trophy room was expanded to make room for":

Roar Buggy National Champion and runner up
JBRL Buggy Champion
Ifmar World Championships Top Qualifer
AZ Winter Nitro Championship Series Buggy Champion
EMMA Indoor Buggy Masters Champion
Puerto Rico Winter Nitrocross Truggy Champion
Kyosho Fall Classic Buggy Champion
Italian Buggy National Champion
Multi class champions Hutchinson
Novarossi GP Buggy Champion
1,2,3 AZ Nitro Summer Series
Glorcs Buggy and Truggy Champion
1,2 Southern CA Saturday Series Buggy
multi class champion Tumbleweed Classic
Colorado Nitro State Buggy and Truggy Champion
Roar Electric Super Stock multi class National Champion
Manufactures Cup Buggy Champion
South African Buggy and Truggy National Champion
Nitromadnass Buggy Champion
Roar region 10 Buggy and Truggy Champion
Ironman 120 pro/am Buggy and Truggy Champion
Monster Truck World Finals Champion
Nitrocross AZ State Champion Buggy and Truggy
Roar National Monster Truck Champion
Readers Choice Nitro Buggy Winner
1,2 Buggy Champion NeoBuggy race
Silverstate Buggy Champion
Top Qualifer Truggy and Buggy Dirt Nitrochallenge
Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default w-o-w

this is the most active forum i found so far...

I can't believe it !!!

so many ppl r here to help and advice...

really appreciate !!

Btw... for all u guys that helped...

I want that losi 8ight rtr.... but what about the first run of the engine..

When some 1 buys from a store.. the seller do it for him and teach all that

he should know... but I n my case.. if i Buy from a mainhobbies...

I am pretty much alone

So is it Impossible to learn this stuff here ?

Cause if it some thing any 1 can do I would handle it myself...

waiting 4 your answers !!

with great anticipation !!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I can't believe it !!!

really appreciate !!

I am pretty much alone

Their is many answers to engine break-in all can be found here, and for repairs, just keep with it and you'll learn that car very easy. I don't even use the book for screw sizes anymore and i have a hard time with this type of stuff.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I can't believe it !!!

really appreciate !!

I am pretty much alone

The LOSI RTR buggy comes with detailed instructions, on how to start the car, how to break in the engine, and lots of other detailed important information. You will be fine on your own unless you have a problem. Read the entire manual before you do anything!!!! The more you learn the less you'll spend
Old 01-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

traxxas comes with a start up dvd
Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well as of the second post says.. you wont be happy with the first 2 chosen.. yes the Losi, Xray, Mugen.. etc etc are all very good choices you have to consider a lot of things. What are people around you driving? What does your local hobby shop carry? Is there anyone around the area you can go for help on your purchase? A lot of things to figure out before making your first purchase. Personally i made 2 very wrong choices when i started but you also have to ask yourself what you are going to do with it. What is the percentage of Bashing vs Racing.. What kind of racing 8th scale? Monster truck? 8th scale is a huge success mainly cause with the right unit chosen you can go through many a tanks of fun without suffering to a lot of damage and broken parts.. where others will leave you discouraged and constantly buying parts. For instance if your going to get a monster truck and you want to compete i would highly recommend the Traxxas Revo.. parts are everywhere help is always around the corner.. excellent abilitys.. and can take somewhat of a beating. If your going into 8th scale dont cheap out and spend the extra couple of bucks to buy one of the better cars (AE, Losi, Xray, Mugen etc..) you will thank yourself n the end. But the questions i have stated earlier you should seriously consider before your purchase as i too work in a hobby shop, and i ask the customers a lot of questions before they buy thier first vehicle so i can suit them into something they will enjoy.

I do hope the information you get from the thread helps you in finding the product that you will like and good luck with your hunt.

Jay.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Illbreakthat
Well as of the second post says.. you wont be happy with the first 2 chosen.. yes the Losi, Xray, Mugen.. etc etc are all very good choices you have to consider a lot of things. What are people around you driving? What does your local hobby shop carry? Is there anyone around the area you can go for help on your purchase? A lot of things to figure out before making your first purchase. Personally i made 2 very wrong choices when i started but you also have to ask yourself what you are going to do with it. What is the percentage of Bashing vs Racing.. What kind of racing 8th scale? Monster truck? 8th scale is a huge success mainly cause with the right unit chosen you can go through many a tanks of fun without suffering to a lot of damage and broken parts.. where others will leave you discouraged and constantly buying parts. For instance if your going to get a monster truck and you want to compete i would highly recommend the Traxxas Revo.. parts are everywhere help is always around the corner.. excellent abilitys.. and can take somewhat of a beating. If your going into 8th scale dont cheap out and spend the extra couple of bucks to buy one of the better cars (AE, Losi, Xray, Mugen etc..) you will thank yourself n the end. But the questions i have stated earlier you should seriously consider before your purchase as i too work in a hobby shop, and i ask the customers a lot of questions before they buy thier first vehicle so i can suit them into something they will enjoy.

I do hope the information you get from the thread helps you in finding the product that you will like and good luck with your hunt.

Jay.
And whats wrong with the GS? Have you owned one? I'm just curious on why someone would not be happy with one..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.