Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
thoughts on the new KYOSHO MP9?????????????? >

thoughts on the new KYOSHO MP9??????????????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

thoughts on the new KYOSHO MP9??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default thoughts on the new KYOSHO MP9??????????????

Thinking on buying the Kyosho MP9, buy before I do does anyone have any feedback on the handling etc.

please no bias comments, you can like your favorite brand and I am cool with that, just looking for some input. I raced Losi for years but am thinking on the MP9
Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

i was a losi guy for a long time till i got a mp9
it like a losi with tonsss of traction
Old 01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

best thing since sliced bread.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

The Mp9 has the coolest differential gaskets. Rather than use plain old gasket paper to seal the gear side to the carrier they used one hundred dollar bills. They had to use the top left corner, so they had to use three bills.

Naw, I'm just bumping cause I'm trying to figure out why I should get this instead of an Xray BOB. I got nothing so far..
Old 01-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

the xray is good but for me i was always worrying was a bearing gone fail am i gone finsh and it not very senstive to set up change so you got change a lot big thing to feel a diff
Old 01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was gonna get the X-ray also but after talking to a few people by the time you get the parts needed to make it right ( what ever that mean) I would have spend enough to buy the mp9 so that's what I got, not to mention I've been running kyosho on-road cars for about 6 years now.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluer322
I was gonna get the X-ray also but after talking to a few people by the time you get the parts needed to make it right ( what ever that mean) I would have spend enough to buy the mp9 so that's what I got, not to mention I've been running kyosho on-road cars for about 6 years now.

That's not true, you don't need anything for the Xray and the bearing issue is taken care of by a few drops of CA glue..(or you can buy the $10 part to fix it, either way..)

If you can afford it, by all means, get a Kyosho but don't get mad if you get beat a $400 car..lol, in other words, the car will not win races for you but it will certainly not hold you back either.. (pretty much just like any other car on the market)
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluer322
The xray requires ZERO upgrades. Any upgrades are purely for bling...
Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

The Mp9 goes together great, my son ran his for the first time last weekend. Usually first time out with any car has it's share of mishaps and takes time to get used to. Not this car, he won and lapped second place. You won't find another car with this quality. I seemed like our fuel mileage went up by 2 minutes going from the heavier Wc to the mp9.

Rex
Old 01-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How does the mp9 compare to the 777 WC????? (whats different??)I had a 777 wc and never got the thing dialed i thought it was me until i drove my brothers hyper 8 Hoa boa and won the main I recently got back into R/C and was looking at the mp9 but ended up buying a 8ight 2.0 based on my negative experience with my 777.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

it jumps way better then the 777 wc it has more rear traction and more steering it all around a better car
i could not get the 777wc car to work for me but i love my mp9
Old 01-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by news1213
That's not true, you don't need anything for the Xray and the bearing issue is taken care of by a few drops of CA glue..(or you can buy the $10 part to fix it, either way..)

If you can afford it, by all means, get a Kyosho but don't get mad if you get beat a $400 car..lol, in other words, the car will not win races for you but it will certainly not hold you back either.. (pretty much just like any other car on the market)
+1

I'm not an X-ray driver and I no that's not true either. Both Kyosho and X-ray are ready for the track out of the box. For that much any of the top buggy's are ready out of the box.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)
Default TTT

I ran Xray's, EC with truggy gear conversion and Kcar BB's, for quite some time and have just recently moved to the MP9. My first outing with the MP9 was impressive to say the least, having had no prior stick time on this chassis before the warm-ups at our local club race that day.

I'd run the same layout the week before with my EC and finished first. I'd completed 30 laps with an avg. mph of 10.54. I ran the same layout with my MP9 under identical track conditions and finished first again, however, I completed 32 laps with an avg. mph 11.78.

The MP9 likes to be driven hard into the turns, steers like a 911 accelerates like a rocket out of the turns. Short run ups are no issue for this pony.

If you don't mind the initial cost then buy all means pick yourself up an MP9!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

I found pretty much the same thing as most of the other people that own MP9s - it's a great car (not perfect) and it's pricey, but the price tag makes sense after a few race weekends. The $400 cars can only keep pace for one race, then it's a race to the hobby shop to start replacing parts. That wouldn't even be so bad, but the parts don't break and wear out on your schedule - parts tend to break or fail at the worst times. A lot of the guys at our track got suckered into buying a D8 when it won the worlds, but now they're either driving another buggy, or pouring tons of money into that $400 car to keep it track worthy. One of the guys left the D8 in his car, and it was apparently too hot and all the arms melted and bowed about 1/2 inch before he even got to run it with the new arms! LOL! Back to the hobby shop for more arms.

Bottom line is, you bascially get what you pay for. The MP9 is a fundementally solid car - the brakes are the best in the business, the driveshafts are light and strong, ring and pinion are the smoothest running that I've ever seen, the shocks are the best in the business, blah, blah, blah. It's also very responsive and hooked up at the same time. The car is tough and the parts last a long time, which is the difference between this and other cheaper buggies. Any car can last for one race, but it's the good ones that stay running race after race that start to pay for themselves by keeping you on the track for longer. I know this will bring the D8 fanboys (owners in denial) and sponsored drivers out of the woodwork to tell you that it runs just as good for half the price, but anyone with an objective opinion based on actual experience can tell you the real costs of owning a "cheap" buggy.

The 808 is also a good quality machine. It's lame that they copied the Losi buggy, albeit a better copy, but it's a copy none the less.

There's a reason that all the good buggies have a reputation as good machines - they're better over the long haul. Kyosho, Mugen and Xray all make good machines and they're tough to beat. You'll be spending your money wisely by getting any of them.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

I loved the WC, but after racing the MP9 for the first time last weekend I believe it has way more potential. Greater corner speed, jumps better, better in the bumps, I thought it was better everywhere. If you are looking for an aggressive car with tons of steering go for the MP9; it drives like nothing else.