Wiki Posts
Search

T-maxx issues..many of them

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Default T-maxx issues..many of them

A co-worker bought a 2.5 RTR t-maxx. I've never dealt with a R/C with reverse and I think it is affecting the tuning. I told him to get rid of it and just have a 2 speed. We can't get it to run for shiot. It'll either idle to high, if its too low it wont switch from drive to reverse, it cuts off during running, just numerous issues. Also doesnt help that he put a rear dual exhaust and we've had to richin the HAIL out of it to get it to run...i think that made it worse...

Seeing if anyone has one of these or dealt with one? We were thinking of going to dalton saturday and seeing if we could have some assistance?

-Ant.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

man, the stories of T-Maxx. If this is yoru first r/c, it has a way of turning people off. I bought one and it ran awesome the first little while, but then, oh the headaches. The reverse is great, but you are right, it has to get down slow enough to change gears, and alot of times its to slow to stay running. Foward only transmission is def. lighter and better if you are racing. But on to some other issues you are having. The tuning of Traxxas motors is def. a challenge. I really dont know why, but i can make any motor run smooth and crisp but the Traxxas mills are def. the hardest. I finally got my 2.5 to run great, but it didnt stay that way and it was different everytime i started it.

I would put the stock pipe back on, and go to the factory suggested needle settings. Get it running on the bench, adjust the idle just above what it needs to shift, cuz with a little run time you will find it will shift if you kinda blip the throttle, like rocking the gears back and forth, it will slide in. But mainly, if you are just bashing and not racing these are fun trucks, but i hated the truck after a while cuz the engines just are not on par with ne thing decent. They are fast and all but just horrible in the tuning department.

I went to 1/8 scale truggies, so much better, faster, bigger, handles so much better, 10xs the fun.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

motoclay-thanks a lot. It is my co-workers 1st r/c. I can tune all my vehicles but can't tune his for shit. If I get it to shift properly, it wont stay still at idle and will jerk and surge forward. It's like, Once i fix something....another thing acts up, either the shifting, idling, or reverse.

I appreciate the help, he is thinking of getting the 3.3 to maybe make it easier.

-Ant.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The reverse isnt going to be a tuning issue.. get rid of that dual pipe it is going to mess up your tuning HUGE. Many guys around here put on those pipes only to find out they cant tune the engine cause they are now cutting the back pressure in half. Once you go back to the stock pipe or get a tuned pipe such as the resonator from Traxxas it wll all come back. Yes the 3.3 is a better engine but not for tuning just more power and torque, but the carb is the same. After you change exhaust go back to stock settings on the engine (flush low speed needle and 4 turns out on the high speed) and just do some quick tune runs and you will be back in business.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Illbreakthat
The reverse isnt going to be a tuning issue.. get rid of that dual pipe it is going to mess up your tuning HUGE. Many guys around here put on those pipes only to find out they cant tune the engine cause they are now cutting the back pressure in half. Once you go back to the stock pipe or get a tuned pipe such as the resonator from Traxxas it wll all come back. Yes the 3.3 is a better engine but not for tuning just more power and torque, but the carb is the same. After you change exhaust go back to stock settings on the engine (flush low speed needle and 4 turns out on the high speed) and just do some quick tune runs and you will be back in business.

Ok great. Thanks a lot! I will tell him to take the loud obnoxious pipe off.

-Ant.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

haha, man those pipes are loud aint they!!?? hahah YEah, i hated my t-maxx, i finally gave up on it and got 1/8ths
Old 01-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

^god yes. they hurt my head. lol I told him to sell it and get a truggy like I am trying to get.

-Ant.