R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Oil or no Oil (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/263437-oil-no-oil.html)

motoclay 12-29-2008 09:49 PM

Oil or no Oil

Just wonderin who out there oils there motor after raceday. At my track, i think me and my family are the only ones that do?? Ne way, wonderin why so many guys dont?

Kyosho Kid 12-29-2008 09:53 PM

possibly because they fire it up sometime during the middle of the week or just don't worry about it because it will be fine till the next week end.
I think people only add after run oil when you aren't going to run for the next 2+ weeks.

ezveedub 12-29-2008 10:09 PM

When your done racing, empty the tank and run the engine till theres no more fuel. Use the glo igniter and run the engine over on the starter box till it won't run anymore to get all the fuel burnt out of it and it should be fine. After run oil only if your not going to use the engine for a long time, say over a month or so, but usually, the engine should still have some oil left over in it from the fuel, so they are usually fine.

CanyonCarverR1 12-29-2008 10:49 PM

Unless I'm going to run the engine again within 3-4 days, I always run all the fuel out of the tank then run the engine until all fuel is consumed. I tear the engine down completely, spray it clean with Nitrowash or similar, coat all parts liberally with Mugen after-run oil, then re-assemble. The fuel is very corrosive, plus I like to inspect it to look for possible problems and to learn how it's running.

ezveedub 12-29-2008 11:19 PM

Unless your running some cheap fuel with low grade acidic nitromethane, 2-4 days between runs shouldn't have any issues if run dry when done.

r1harper 12-29-2008 11:22 PM

if i am not going to run for a week or so i run it dry and flush it with Mobile 1 air compressor oil, i have had the same quart for about 2 years.

Kyosho Kid 12-29-2008 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 (Post 5224802)
Unless I'm going to run the engine again within 3-4 days, I always run all the fuel out of the tank then run the engine until all fuel is consumed. I tear the engine down completely, spray it clean with Nitrowash or similar, coat all parts liberally with Mugen after-run oil, then re-assemble. The fuel is very corrosive, plus I like to inspect it to look for possible problems and to learn how it's running.

sounds like overkill

Cvdiver 12-30-2008 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kyosho Kid (Post 5224950)
sounds like overkill

Maybe overkill. But do you wanna bet on if his motors last a long time? And I would bet he almost never has an engine related failure.

Joey Platinum 12-30-2008 04:14 AM

I always put the after run oil on the outside of the engine too. I leave it on and it smokes like crazy.Sometimes I use Tag body spray to freshen it up especially before a car show .

jamminnay 12-30-2008 05:13 AM

rody (former owner of rb) told me to run the engine out of fuel on the starter box when the motor is still hot from the race.. he says the heat in the motor helps evaporate the excess fuel out of the bearings.. he also told me to pinch the fuel line to kill the motor everythime instead of snuffing it out

donbeatya 12-30-2008 05:33 AM

????

snuffing it out HUH??????????

Charles Godwin 12-30-2008 05:48 AM

I always stop engines by tapping/jamming the flywheel with my thumb. Unless it's a run away i plug the exhaust.

I always use after runoil, even if i'm going to use it the next day. I run the lines completly dry (even when i've tipped it out there's always some in there). Take the fuel line off the carb then put another bit of fuel line on (so crap can't get in) then bump it on the box with the glowstart clipped to get the fuel out of the carb. Few drops of ARO down the glowplug hole and then 5secs on the box.

ezveedub 12-30-2008 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by jamminnay (Post 5225548)
rody (former owner of rb) told me to run the engine out of fuel on the starter box when the motor is still hot from the race.. he says the heat in the motor helps evaporate the excess fuel out of the bearings.. he also told me to pinch the fuel line to kill the motor everythime instead of snuffing it out

+1, make sure this is done with a hot motor, thats the key point.