Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
RC8 RTR vs Losi 8ight RTR vs Jammin X1 RTR >

RC8 RTR vs Losi 8ight RTR vs Jammin X1 RTR

RC8 RTR vs Losi 8ight RTR vs Jammin X1 RTR

Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default RC8 RTR vs Losi 8ight RTR vs Jammin X1 RTR

Looking to get back into r/c after a long hiatus of 1/12 and 1/10. I've narrowed it down to these 3 and was wondering what people thought. Just to let you know I've always be an AE guy. Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

What do you plan on using it for?

The Losi gets the nod IMO for having a DSM radio. However you can't use it on a bump box without replacing some parts.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

racing at a few local tracks and a little bashing
Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Well if you've always been an ae guy the question is easy..
I've always been an ae guy too. I ran a kyosho and a prospec for quite awhile. Never really even liked 1/8 scale racing, didn't want to buy parts for them..blah blah. Then I got the ae buggy and it's a whole new ballgame. I really think it's just because I like ae so much. Got a bag full of parts and a buggy that drives like a magic carpet and I've been having a blast.

That said the other mentioned buggies are top notch too. I'd really like to try a losi 8ight also. But I know what will happen. Everytime I get a losi I think about buying parts, working on them, and I sell them. Not that they take any more work than others, just because for some reason I apparently have a mental bias and only like buying, running, and wrenching on ae cars. Weird but true.

That said, welcome back to the hobby and have fun with whatever you end up buying. : )
Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sidewaze
racing at a few local tracks and a little bashing
If you plan on racing at all I would strongly advise against an RTR. For one, RTR's don't come with regulation .21 engines and the servo's are usually sub par.

As far as which is better. I only have experience with the Losi. Just got one last saturday as a matter a fact. Once you learn how to setup the 8ight chassis wise and drive it with a smooth hand, it's a very fast buggy. Its also very durable as I have yet to see anyone break anything on one.

Im sure the RC8 is very fast also, I would just be slightly concerned with durability.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

LOSI go with the losi buggy it comes with the spektrum radio you cant beat that and it also come with a good engine i havent heard anything on the ae buggy beside everybody that bought one at my local track drove them like 3 times and sold them and bought a losi and they still have them so im not sure if that tells you anything but i would strongly suggest the losi 8
Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have also been having this issue but with truggies instead of buggies so no AE product was available.I guess when it all is said and done I would use your head and heart to make the decision not just your heart.I just ordered a CEN Matrix TR and now I'm actually looking forward to trying a different brand.I guess while having a steady diet plan that works is good it can also be fun to try something new.Good luck on your quest and I think that any of the buggies that you mentioned would serve you very well as they are all great vehicles.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is an easy one. If you have always been an AE guy then go with the AE. If you buy anything else, your gonna always wonder if you should have gotten the AE. Yes, the AE had some issues when it was first released, what good car doesn't, but the car is exceptional now. The durability problem has been eliminated. You will eventually have to upgrade the servos and radio with time, but you will have a killer car on your hands.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by petevette
This is an easy one. If you have always been an AE guy then go with the AE. If you buy anything else, your gonna always wonder if you should have gotten the AE. Yes, the AE had some issues when it was first released, what good car doesn't, but the car is exceptional now. The durability problem has been eliminated. You will eventually have to upgrade the servos and radio with time, but you will have a killer car on your hands.
I'm not sure I understand that reasoning, I've always been an AE guy.. But I try to keep an open mind. Being that I was able to test drive the 8ight, I went that route. I would still like to drive an RC8.. But I'm not going to just buy one without seeing it in action or test driving one.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Furadi
If you plan on racing at all I would strongly advise against an RTR. For one, RTR's don't come with regulation .21 engines and the servo's are usually sub par.

As far as which is better. I only have experience with the Losi. Just got one last saturday as a matter a fact. Once you learn how to setup the 8ight chassis wise and drive it with a smooth hand, it's a very fast buggy. Its also very durable as I have yet to see anyone break anything on one.

Im sure the RC8 is very fast also, I would just be slightly concerned with durability.
As far as I can remember reading the RC8 has a .28 engine
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

As far as I can remember reading the RC8 has a .28 engine
Right, meaning he might not be able to race with it if the track enforces engine sizes. Generally you have to have a .21 in a buggy.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Ae Rc8 all the way that thing is sick... i would buy the race roller then go with a gotech.21 they seem to be pretty good motors.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Well my 3 local tracks allow .28 engines as long as it came in rtr package
Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well my 3 local tracks allow .28 engines as long as it came in rtr package
Ok, I know RTR's are enticing but, your going to get bad fuel mileage and right before a heat or main your spin/roto-start will fail. (they stop working when there dirty) You don't want to have to worry about that.

If your budget will not allow you to get a kit then at least get a bump box and set your car up to use one. In the 8ights case you need a sportwerks .21 back plate and the normal engine mounts. I think the RC8 will work on a bump box as is.

My buddy, (who ive been trying to convince needed a box) wouldn't listen and ended missing the first heat over the weekend when his spin-start wouldn't catch. Luckily someone let him borrow a back plate and engine mounts for the weekend. He had an ofna crome top the next day.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Adept

Starter i can understand but why bad fuel mileage. I was leaning to the rtr to make sure this is what I want to do. If I decide 1/8 is for me I'll then start to make changes or pass it on to one of my sons or just use to have fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.