Wiki Posts
Search

Werks racing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Werks racing clutch

I got this clutch in a trade on a new engine. I have no idea about this clutch it worked fine. I read that it is adjustable and uses different compound shoes roulon and ceramic as well as carbon. What are your thoughts, experiences and suggestions.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

they are alright clutches... good luck getting them set right from my experience. i sold mine after just a couple of tanks, 3 shoe setups are fool proof
Old 12-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

3 shoe is da way to go
Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

4 Shoe is significantly better then a 3 shoe imo...as for spring wear and general clutch life.

Ive also played with the Werks and had the same issue of the adjustment nut wanting to walk...no matter what loc tite i used or how long i let it sit...it would ALWAYS let loose and lock up.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I love the werks clutch, go with the sarbon shoes or 2 carbon and 2 rulon, it is a bitch to get set right but once you get it right you will never want another 1.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

well that may be correct but some of us do not wanna keep trying to get it adjusted! no really i hated mine. people must like them though otherwise they would not be on the market
Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

I love mine & had no problems setting it up,easy change mounts help there. When I found the shoes(2 carbon 2 teflon) & spring setting(1.5mm of thread showing) & spring(soft) I simply ground down my clutch nut to be flush with the adjusting nut then its the same every time for all my werks clutches. RED loctite the adjusting nut & heat of motor & clutch will keep it from staying solid. The instructions can be found on the werks site & tell you what the most common settings are. Give it a try before you toss it, it wont cost you anything & clutch bells & bearings will last forever. When the purple ano that touches the shoes wears off completly & flywheel material just starts to divot its time for a new clutch set complete. Should cost about $60 for 10 gal worth of trouble free use if you lube bearings after every race day & you should get 3-5 gal per set of bearings lubing like that or 1 gal of no maint.You dont like it,send it to me.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I'm going to say this about the clutch. "Damn it's smooth!!" I ran approximately 6 tanks through my 8T today even at low speeds it just did what it was supposed to do. I actually didn't need to spool up to get it to engage. It was almost like driving a car. If I gunned it tires spun slinging dirt everywhere. If i gave it just a little throttle it rolled like I was trying to park. I was impressed actually. Now how this will translate on a track I could not tell you. My initial thoughts are its a nice clutch. Its still set the way I got it haven't tried to adjust it yet not even sure if I need to. I have 4 carbon shoes and its on a Trinity Platinum A. Drake edition engine. I not even sure what I was more impressed with the engine or the clutch. First time using a Picco based engine.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:10 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Well I'm going to say this about the clutch. "Damn it's smooth!!" I ran approximately 6 tanks through my 8T today even at low speeds it just did what it was supposed to do. I actually didn't need to spool up to get it to engage. It was almost like driving a car. If I gunned it tires spun slinging dirt everywhere. If i gave it just a little throttle it rolled like I was trying to park. I was impressed actually. Now how this will translate on a track I could not tell you. My initial thoughts are its a nice clutch. Its still set the way I got it haven't tried to adjust it yet not even sure if I need to. I have 4 carbon shoes and its on a Trinity Platinum A. Drake edition engine. I not even sure what I was more impressed with the engine or the clutch. First time using a Picco based engine.
This was exactly what I thought about the Werks clutch as well. The general opinion on performance on most forums and in the pits seems to be 50/50. A fellow racer was running the same clutch and his blew up during a qualifier. I've been running the same set of shoes for two seasons and I am constantly worried about the adjustment nut coming loose since I fiddled with it, but it hasn't walked on me yet.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I had one and loved it. It does wear shoes quickly compared to aluminum 3 or 4 shoes but once it is set right it is great.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I loved the one I had on my mugen, once I got it set it was perfect all season. thinking about going back to it on my 8ight
Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

I actually want to try some of the other shoe combos that were mentioned. I'm just afraid to take it apart now. Heck if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I got several werks cutches a while back with rulon and composite shoes..I spent tons of time setting one up in my buggy and truggy. I couldnt with either of the springs get one set up with any options whatsoever in buggy. now in my 8t with composite shoes and the green spring(mind you these were all new,never used)and the ctutch nut tightened until it was not possible to tighten anymore, left it there and ran just short of 1 gallon that way..it was smooth. I decided to go back to the losi clutch cause i could get more $ out of it and i had tons of new losi clutch parts. brand new unscratched they seemed to sell ok on ebay..
Old 12-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

a yeah sry forgot to say the werks clutch is a rip off and even bigger pain in the arse..