Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Looking for a new truggy....advice or suggestions? >

Looking for a new truggy....advice or suggestions?

Looking for a new truggy....advice or suggestions?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

LOSI
Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
You are from Georgia? Call Alex from modhobby.....
I just recently found out about them. I was just in that area to today. Dayum.

Originally Posted by Djballen
Dont waiste your money on cheap nockoffs. Buy a Mugen before you get a OCM or Caster. You get what you pay for. But we need more info to give you a good answer on what type of truck to get. Like what people in you area are driving.Local part suport helps. But I would stay with the main stream vehicles. Mugen, Jammin x2, Kyosho,Xray,Losi or Associated. They all have there advantages and disadvantages. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly. I appreciate the info. Just wish I had some cash to blow to by something up to date.

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
LOSI
Well that narrows it down. lol.

-Ant.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

losi wears out fast my friend has one and hates it. told him to buy a mugen now he is geting one.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mungen
losi wears out fast my friend has one and hates it. told him to buy a mugen now he is geting one.
But some1 stated above the one you have is discontinued? I only know of Amainhobbies and towerhobbies, any other good sites?

-Ant.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'd also stay away from the Losi. I worked with an 8T for over a year on settup, and between fixing all the nagging BS issues with the durability and the trucks inconsistency on the track, it just drove me nuts. I switched to a Kyosho ST-RR and the very next week I was over 2 seconds faster a lap than with the losi I drove for a year. The K truck is just a superior design all around IMO, and will drive better for 90% of the truggy drivers out there. Unless you drive with carpet like ultra precision the Losi is just plain unpredictable. The K truck can be pushed hard almost to the point of wreckless abandon and still hold it's line. The only other truck I would consider is the RC8T as it has shown some promise, but I honestly feel the ST-RR is about the perfect truggy if you intend to race. If bashing is your intent, its hard to beat the mugens durability, but that durability translates into a lead sled on the track.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

can you still buy mugen truggy???? i vote getting jamming x2 or you can fin a use x1 w/bce chassis & lots of upgrades
Old 12-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

thanks guys. I am writing everything down and going to make my best decision.

-Ant.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey, I personally would say to get the RC8T. If you want the thing to be very, very close to unbreakable, all you have to buy is aluminum rear hubs. The King headz ones are very expensive, but i run Team Integy ones and they are about 20 bucks. Also it is very easy to get parts for. Also the Jammin X2 is a good truck and its not very hard to find parts for. I wouldn't get the mugen because the MBX6 is already out and the truggy will soon follow and you will be left behind. And Losi's do wear really easy. To prevent that you could put all the 2.0 parts on it but it adds up. Kyosho's are awesome too, yet very expensive and it their parts are no exception. Lastly is that hellfire. Screw that piece of junk, just dont even pay attention to it.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would go with the Mugen
Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

8ight T's are only $329 at amainhobbies.

As long as you don't think you can go without regular maintenance on your truck "like these other people" you'll be fine. At that price it can't be beat! I would be wary of anyone telling me to use Team Intigy anything!! It's junk!!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9725
Old 12-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

First for what you want to do the Hellfire is just FINE..To all the Haters..I would bet that 99% of them never ever owned one..They are going by what they have heard or a friends or a friend of a friend..I'm not saying it's the best or even close to that..what I am saying is that it's not as bad as everyone is trying to say it is..The Hellfire does have a few issues..weak diffs..very fixable (you use the HB LSP ring and pinion gear). The very first batch of Hellfire's (The RTR) had a manufacturing defect in the molding of the arms, HPI took care of the problem quickly..I remember Associated RC8's had a front end problem but they were given a "pass" on that one..and the Fuel tanks on the RC8's are junk also..they are on their 4th update and it still has problems. Losi's like to eat throttle servos and they did have a problem with diffs also (it has been taken care of..the diffs)..Losi has been given a pass on it as well..The Kyosho ST-RR has a brittle front end (I have NOT broken mine) but I have seen more than a few shatter..plus the front hubs are JUNK! The Mugen is good..it pushes like a dump truck when compared to the Losi, Kyosho, Associated and Jammin X2..If all your doing is bashing and your local hobby shop caries HPI parts and you can get a Hellfire for a good price dont let the haters influence you..amazing all the Internet experts..on cars they dont own..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan

As long as you don't think you can go without regular maintenance on your truck "like these other people" you'll be fine. At that price it can't be beat! I would be wary of anyone telling me to use Team Intigy anything!! It's junk!!

+1

Losi's are the least expensive (new) of all of the top level Buggy's & Truggys talking 1.0's here. They perform on the highest level and can be set up to be driven by a rookie or a pro like every other quality B or T. The reason there was a mad scramble to redesign over the last 2 year was because of the performance of the Losi. It set a new benchmark for how well a B or T can handle. Not knocking the other models cause there all great and good competition is what drives manufacturers to better there products. As with all B's and T's they have quirks. Performing maintenance is not a quirk it's a part of owning a race level B or T. You should pick the one you
like the most and go with it. When you reach the race level type B's or T's you pretty much can't go wrong they are all good and they all have quirks. There isn't a right or wrong answer to your question.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan

As long as you don't think you can go without regular maintenance on your truck "like these other people" you'll be fine. At that price it can't be beat! I would be wary of anyone telling me to use Team Integy anything!! It's junk!!

..just pay attention to the throttle servo adjustments and you wont have any problems..I got mine for $275 out the door at my LHS..sweet..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

I think the best deal out there is the 8ight T for $300.........

I have owned just about every other brand truggy and I keep coming back to the losi. Here are some I have owned just to name some off the top of my head:

8ight T
Str
Strr
lsp
hyper st pro
mbx5t
Jammin CRT
hellfire rtr

The Losi rewards smooth drivers on the track. The losi works REAL well if you have an electric offroad background and are looking to get into 1/8. The Losi jumps like a dream. It really pops off the jumps and I find I don't need no where near the run up to clear jumps as I do with other truggies. It handles great and while it does have a light rear end it's very managable with a few tuning changes to the stock setup.
The STRR is my second favorite truggy. It can be driven hard and still holds a tight line. It doesn't quite have the pop that the losi has off of jumps but it accelerates almost as hard.
The MBX5T is my third favorite. It's tough as nails and has a very neutral feeling to it on the track. It is a little heavy and doesn't really do any one thing excellent but seems to do everything good.

Those are my top 3 right now. Once the 8ight T 2.0, D8T and MP9ST are released and I get to drive them I might change my mind but right now that's how I rank it.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by MattP
I think the best deal out there is the 8ight T for $300.........

I have owned just about every other brand truggy and I keep coming back to the losi. Here are some I have owned just to name some off the top of my head:

8ight T
Str
Strr
lsp
hyper st pro
mbx5t
Jammin CRT
hellfire rtr

The Losi rewards smooth drivers on the track. The losi works REAL well if you have an electric offroad background and are looking to get into 1/8. The Losi jumps like a dream. It really pops off the jumps and I find I don't need no where near the run up to clear jumps as I do with other truggies. It handles great and while it does have a light rear end it's very managable with a few tuning changes to the stock setup.
The STRR is my second favorite truggy. It can be driven hard and still holds a tight line. It doesn't quite have the pop that the losi has off of jumps but it accelerates almost as hard.
The MBX5T is my third favorite. It's tough as nails and has a very neutral feeling to it on the track. It is a little heavy and doesn't really do any one thing excellent but seems to do everything good.

Those are my top 3 right now. Once the 8ight T 2.0, D8T and MP9ST are released and I get to drive them I might change my mind but right now that's how I rank it.
Nice write up..on the rear traction would you say that the Kyosho is loser than the Losi..or about the same..and what do i need to do to make the Losi more locked in..I had an 8T but I got rid of it quickly and only ran it on a very hooked up track..I just got another one..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.