Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Looking for a new truggy....advice or suggestions? >

Looking for a new truggy....advice or suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a new truggy....advice or suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Default Looking for a new truggy....advice or suggestions?

Hey everyone. I am not a HUGE racer, never been to a track b/c they are a bit far from me. I have 2 firestorms, Ofna Buggy LX1, and a EVO 3+ and they are all fun, but nothing like a truggy. I just got a new spektrum DX3s and I dont want to use it on my Firestorms and always wanted a truggy just dont know which one to get. I was looking at a Ofna X1 or a Hellfire. I am going to be selling my vehicles, maybe keep one firestorm but want a truggy.

Do you guys (experts) know if those 2 are good? Or do you have any other suggestions? I really appreciate it.

-Ant.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

well i have mugen mbx5t prospec and love it all my friends want one now there are very good. u can the cheap one or the pro kit if its in ur price range. thanks nate
Old 12-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can probably find a used x1 with a bunch of upgrades that would make a good basher for a decent price. Hellfire=hell no!
Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Stay away from the Hellfire it has many nicknames but non i can mention in polite company. There are several on the market.. the main things you have to think about are whos running what on the track (that way you can get help if someone around knows the truck) Find out what your hobby shop carrys cause if you cant get parts.. its gonna suck if you break. price range is always one to consider.. other than that there are a lot of truggys to consider..

I drive associated cause i love how easy it is to drive and the parts for it are cheaper than most brands has the big bores.. Xray XT8 is a great truck to drive parts are a little on the pricey side but it needs big bores but is a great truck. The Jammin X2 is another good one to consider its been updated finally and looks to be a great truck. The Kyosho ST-RR is a fantastic truck but is fairly high priced but comes with a lot of good stuff in it. I would ask around your local area and ask a lot of questions. Basically it will come down to personal preference from most guys in the forums so they will go with what they drive at the time, i can only tell you about the trucks i have driven.

Good luck in your hunt.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

hambone i agree about the hell fire is junk. me all i buy is new buggys and truggys so that i know i'm the first to run it and i put it together. thats just me i'm picky
Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mungen
well i have mugen mbx5t prospec and love it all my friends want one now there are very good. u can the cheap one or the pro kit if its in ur price range. thanks nate
Searching it now. Thanks.

Originally Posted by hambone
You can probably find a used x1 with a bunch of upgrades that would make a good basher for a decent price. Hellfire=hell no!
Why no Hellfire? I found a used one for fairly cheap. E-mailed the fella.
Originally Posted by Illbreakthat
Stay away from the Hellfire it has many nicknames but non i can mention in polite company. There are several on the market.. the main things you have to think about are whos running what on the track (that way you can get help if someone around knows the truck) Find out what your hobby shop carrys cause if you cant get parts.. its gonna suck if you break. price range is always one to consider.. other than that there are a lot of truggys to consider..

I drive associated cause i love how easy it is to drive and the parts for it are cheaper than most brands has the big bores.. Xray XT8 is a great truck to drive parts are a little on the pricey side but it needs big bores but is a great truck. The Jammin X2 is another good one to consider its been updated finally and looks to be a great truck. The Kyosho ST-RR is a fantastic truck but is fairly high priced but comes with a lot of good stuff in it. I would ask around your local area and ask a lot of questions. Basically it will come down to personal preference from most guys in the forums so they will go with what they drive at the time, i can only tell you about the trucks i have driven.

Good luck in your hunt.
I saw the Associated and it look pretty bad ass. Only shop near me is Hobby Town. Only carry HPI and TRAXXAS (mainly). Imma have to make the hour trip up to the closest track near me to see what they have. Thanks for the advice!

-Ant.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

if u any ? feel free to ask me thanks nate
Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

if you are looking to keep the cost down a used mbx5t prospec would be a good choice, they are durable they handle good, i personally run the jammin x2crt its a good truck to, its more aggressive in the handling department, and seems durable also
Old 12-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Wy no hellfire? Well lets start the parts are horrible.. the setup is just wrong.. its incredibly difficult to drive cause you cant set it up.. its not based on any 8 scale in the market. These are some of the reasons its been discontinued!

I have driven the Mugen MBX5T Prospec and its a fantastic truck.. but its been discontinued so it may be hard to get some stuff... i have owned and driven the ST-R and loved it but i couldnt keep the diffs in them (most likely my fault) Jammin CRT x1 hated it and you had to hopup over half the truck to make it worth while to drive but the X2 i havent driven but have heard lots of good stuff about them.

The things i love about the RC8T is that its super easy to drive, has the big bores that work fantastic, accelerates HARD corners the best out of any truggy i have driven, has been ultra durable soaks up a beaten track with ease, easy to get parts for and the parts are cheap.

But i would seriously consider taking that hour drive it may be worth your while to take the time and think about the purchase.. HPI and or TRAXXAS do not have a competitive truggy nor buggy in thier name.. other than the D8 from Hot Bodies which is the affiliate company of HPI.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Hellfire will stay broke. It's frail and doesn't perform well. If you are going to race then get a newer truck, assoc rc8t, losi 8t, mugen mbx5t, jammin x2 or kyosho. Check things out at the track, ask questions & consider parts availability. Hobbytown should be able to get parts for most of them. I always raced associated but i decided to get a losi 8t when i bought a truggy. It's a squirrel but don't regret my decision.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Illbreakthat
Wy no hellfire? Well lets start the parts are horrible.. the setup is just wrong.. its incredibly difficult to drive cause you cant set it up.. its not based on any 8 scale in the market. These are some of the reasons its been discontinued!

I have driven the Mugen MBX5T Prospec and its a fantastic truck.. but its been discontinued so it may be hard to get some stuff... i have owned and driven the ST-R and loved it but i couldnt keep the diffs in them (most likely my fault) Jammin CRT x1 hated it and you had to hopup over half the truck to make it worth while to drive but the X2 i havent driven but have heard lots of good stuff about them.

The things i love about the RC8T is that its super easy to drive, has the big bores that work fantastic, accelerates HARD corners the best out of any truggy i have driven, has been ultra durable soaks up a beaten track with ease, easy to get parts for and the parts are cheap.

But i would seriously consider taking that hour drive it may be worth your while to take the time and think about the purchase.. HPI and or TRAXXAS do not have a competitive truggy nor buggy in thier name.. other than the D8 from Hot Bodies which is the affiliate company of HPI.
thank you for that write up. I will continue my search.

-Ant.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

jammin x2 ...or mugens , kyoshos,
Old 12-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

ebay has a nice ocm truggy for buy it now 150
Old 12-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yeaklet4
ebay has a nice ocm truggy for buy it now 150
Dont waiste your money on cheap nockoffs. Buy a Mugen before you get a OCM or Caster. You get what you pay for. But we need more info to give you a good answer on what type of truck to get. Like what people in you area are driving.Local part suport helps. But I would stay with the main stream vehicles. Mugen, Jammin x2, Kyosho,Xray,Losi or Associated. They all have there advantages and disadvantages. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

You are from Georgia? Call Alex from modhobby.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.