Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
RB WS7III  rebuild time.  Piston/Sleeve choices? >

RB WS7III rebuild time. Piston/Sleeve choices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RB WS7III rebuild time. Piston/Sleeve choices?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

Default RB WS7III rebuild time. Piston/Sleeve choices?

My WS7III L2G will need repinched soon and i was going to slide in a new sleeve, conrod, and piston in. I'll keep the repinched sleeve/piston for the next rebuild.

I'm looking for more fuel mileage from this engine. It has plenty of power and bottom end. Too much for the track I'm running.

I'm currently running a JP-1 and 1.1 clutch springs.

Should I just get a WS7 sleeve and piston or should I try The parts from a S3 or S5? I'll probally upgrade my pipe to a ttr 2035 or the AE factory team pipe.

Does the S5 even get better fuel economy that the 7 port mill? Any body sell a new modded 3 port sleeve ready to go?
Old 12-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try 0.9mm clutch springs (or just a softer set of springs). That'll soften the overall grunt out of corners. The RB 2045 pipe is good (seems very smooth to me and i get decent fuel milage, 10+ mins) but if you can i'd get the the 3001 RB pipe and manifold (think its a 92mm manifold). You'll get more runtime out of the 3XXX pipes, less noise and you're totally up together on rules. I've seen a lot of people use the 2035 pipe and they all seem to like it, get good run time and looks kinda cool
Old 12-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

you have to kidding. how much fuel do you have through it? can't be more than 5 gallons. and you will never get 10 minutes/tank on our track. you're going to have to lap the front guys to make up for a stop! you need a 3 or 4 port and hang that ws7 on the wall. grouchy out!!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would not pinch the sleeve. Its kinda not worth it. Sure, you get more time out of it, but its not like a new piston and sleeve.

And Stick with the stock WS7 stuff. I like mine alot. And if your ordering parts, order two connection rods. One for break in, one for after the 1.5- 2 gallon mark. Break in puts so much stress on a rod, there more likely to break or explode after break in/ over time. If your crank blows, your whole motor is done for. Cheap insurance!

And I run mine on a JP-1. Works good, for the price. Is there better pipes? most likely. But for how it worked out for me, perfect!

If you really want more fuel milage, possibly try www.powerhousemods.com . He seems to know what the heck he is talking about. And his testimonials are good. Never seen a bad one.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i run the ws7iii with the 2045 and i love it.. when i spoke to rody at the nats he said that is all you want on that motor.. mine has 7 gallons on it and still has good pinch. i put new ceramics in at the 3.5 gallon mark!

what carb restrictor are you running?
Old 12-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

i would run a os 2060 pipe and header for better fuel mileage and allround power.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

the s5 sleeve works very well in the ws7..you would like it
Old 12-21-2008, 03:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

A modded S3 sleeve on that turbo crank would be an absolute beast. Keep mind One of the fastest engines on the market is a 3port. There are a couple of threads about this particular engine and changing the sleeve to the 3P already. A really good person to ask about this is "wingracer". He can tell you all about it.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 AM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run the OS T-2060SC on mine aswell and i love it. i get heaps of run time out of it
Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tallyram
you have to kidding. how much fuel do you have through it? can't be more than 5 gallons. and you will never get 10 minutes/tank on our track. you're going to have to lap the front guys to make up for a stop! you need a 3 or 4 port and hang that ws7 on the wall. grouchy out!!!!

Almost 7 gallons. Its got plenty left but by the time I figure out what to do with it I'll be past 12. Just plannin ahead. I can just bribe Joey to wreck into the fast guys with his new Caster Storm anyway!

I'll look into some modded 3 or 5 port piston sleeves. It would be nice to hit 8-9 minutes on a tank. Every modder I see needs the parts sent to them but I'm sure theres gotta be someone who can sell the whole deal in one stop.

I usually break-in on a engine stand so I'm not too concerned about the conrod. The rod in the motor has no play in it at all last time I checked it. (5 gallons.)

Might be cheaper to get a V-spec and rebuild this motor later........
Old 12-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

I run a WS73 with a modded 3 port piston and sleeve.. Its very easy to drive and has very low wheel spin, making my tires last a long time. I get about 9-10 run times at 230 degrees. I better mention that I run the S5 crank in mine, I'm not sure if the timing is the same from the WS7 crank to the S model cranks. Its also been converted to a turbo head, and I'm running an O'Donnell 97T plug with 30% Werks fuel. It doesn't quite have the top end of my OS speed but its close. I run it with either an OS 2060 pipe, or the RB 2045 and short RB header combo. The custom RB 3 port is a killer motor, but you do have to search down some parts.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks thats what I was looking for.

I think I'll pull it when its done and send it off for modding. I'll put a V-spec in its place until it gets back. The WS7 crank should be the same as the S5 crank only with a hard black coating. It looked the same on the inside anyway, just black.

So I'll have the WS7 rebuilt as a modded 3 port with ceramic bearings. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

I was looking at Grouchy's success with his ninja, and Jesus how many gallons of fuel Grouchy has on his motor. The dam thing seems fresh still. My GRP .21 should be here soon... I will use it for a back up ....I will be ordering the tools, a crank, bearing, piston ,con rod and a sleeve and sit on go for my next disaster as always I will loan Trigger Daniels and Grouchy the tool set if they need it but only if they are as nice in person as they are on these forums.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Thanks thats what I was looking for.

I think I'll pull it when its done and send it off for modding. I'll put a V-spec in its place until it gets back. The WS7 crank should be the same as the S5 crank only with a hard black coating. It looked the same on the inside anyway, just black.

So I'll have the WS7 rebuilt as a modded 3 port with ceramic bearings. Thanks.
Now you are starting to use your head, V-Spec. I cant tell you how many gallons are on mine and you have seen it first hand what it will do. Some people talk smack about a V-spec but if you take care of it and dont over rev them they last.

AKA (Soup Natzi)
Old 12-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Still seems that the V-spec is about $60 or so less durable than the WS7 (Bearings). But it cost the same as a good rebuild plus mod of the WS7. Checked rebuilders out yesterday. As long as my carb deosn't split in half like "Crashes Mugens well" V-spec did, then I'm set.

"Soup Natzi", did that stick?......It deosn't even make sense. Cazy TRC names, Who's "Uncle Timmey", and "Makes divots in track" and is "Charlie Daniels" really Charlie Daniels?