Wiki Posts
Search

This V-spec is driving me insane.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Personally I would have challenged your warrantee claim also... theyre packed practically in an airbag, I cant see it cracking "spontaneously" nothing against you but I just dont see it happening.

Myself I've never cracked a case, I'heard of people breaking cases, carbs, HSNs and of course heads.... those must be some bad ass wrecks
You think gravity might have been working before it was placed in the air bag?

Is it not possible someone at the factory dropped it?

I understand that's its very unusual, but I offered to send the engine in so they could see it was never started, and run. They told me to go to hell, NO WARANTEES on v-spec.

It was sealed in air bag, and boxed, but cracked upon arrival. Not like I wasn't pissed off enough, when the told me to F@$^ -off, that ended my dealings with OS permanently. The place I bought it from said to call OS they don't cover factory defects. I should have just canceled my credit card charge, but I actually tried to do the right thing...Lesson learned
Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Tony,
Myself and many others have also had many cracked case in past years..
OS tried to fix in 07, but the fix didn't work...
It happens in some cars more then others, i think due to different style of engine mounts. usually the crack is right down the center on the bottom of the case on the machining line.
In my 5T, i broke quite a few, till i went to the extreme rc 2 piece engine mount.
here is a pic of the attempted fix in 07

IMO this why the JX is the best OS .21 on the market..
Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Lord

I would like you all to know that my V-spec was never run! It did not crack in the chassis, or from improper mounting, or improper Mounting brackets. Mine came cracked in the box! It sucked air so bad, I could not prime the engine
Old 12-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I would like you all to know that my V-spec was never run! It did not crack in the chassis, or from improper mounting, or improper Mounting brackets. Mine came cracked in the box! It sucked air so bad, I could not prime the engine
yeah that just sucks! It's not the first time I've seen broken parts from the OS factory.. it happens
where on the case was it cracked? any photos?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jpalessi
yeah that just sucks! It's not the first time I've seen broken parts from the OS factory.. it happens
where on the case was it cracked? any photos?
believe it or not, you could barely see it with the naked eye. it was cracked on the side where the cooling fins are behind the front bearing. You cant see it in a photo
Old 12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

yeah the cracks i'm talking about you can't see without a eye loop either.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i had one with similar issue in the past, would run good till i guess it got warm and the crack would expand, can you use the jx case for replacement on a stock vspec?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Lord

WAY toooo many awesome engines out there to ever miss anything from OS!

i am very Happy with Picco, Go-Tech, RB, Sirio, and Novarossi, and I cant wait for the new Odonnell Mill. Also for $200 the Jammin JPX .21 cant be beat
Old 12-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cjm1126
i had one with similar issue in the past, would run good till i guess it got warm and the crack would expand, can you use the jx case for replacement on a stock vspec?
yes you can use the JX case on any V spec, or "Speed" engine.
IMHO as far as OS, the JX is the best. most reliable, identical to speed in power, and priced the best.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
yes you can use the JX case on any V spec, or "Speed" engine.
IMHO as far as OS, the JX is the best. most reliable, identical to speed in power, and priced the best.
How about the 28xz case? isnt that the same thing? or is the bore different?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Jonro, Have you ever taken this motor apart? What your describing with the needles settings sounds like the piston is in backwards. And yes people the V-spec will run with the piston in backwards without damage. The 21j has been a great carb for me, I have taken them off V-specs and put them on my speeds cause I like the idle screw on top. Every one I have it always seems the needles end up around the same spot, around 2.75- 3 turns out on top 1 to 1.5 turns in on bottom from stock setting, and I never touch the middle needle theres no need to.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default tune

Originally Posted by Jonro
I gave up on mine back in august and bought an MRT GRP .21 and never looked back, the GRP has run perfect for 5-6 gals straight and only needs new bearings because they are becoming a little sloppy and causing quick clutch wear and the O.s is only in there until that happens.

TY very much for the info jpalessi will definitely give that a try tomorrow.

I don't see the reason for 3 needle carbs, my grp tunes perfectly with a two needle...
Jonro,did you take this motor apart,ive seen this happen before,if you took the motor apart make sure the piston and con rod is put in correctly,it will run but not right if installed wrong.If not it sounds like the middle needle is off,the motor wont have a smooth power band if the mid is off!Just takes time and patience good luck and dont give up!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
How about the 28xz case? isnt that the same thing? or is the bore different?
The outer case is the same from xz to jx, but as you stated, the bore for the 28 sleeve is larger.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

wow thats crazy.... you'd figure they could take of you but I guess not.... that sucks
Old 12-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaylude22
The outer case is the same from xz to jx, but as you stated, the bore for the 28 sleeve is larger.
So that means it wouldnt work right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.