Search

Hump pack / charger help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? Hump pack / charger help

Sorry dumb question but it is Sunday and I've nobody to ask

I bought a 6V hump pack and wall charger (dual one for Tx and Rx) from the LHS yesterday. I have had the Rx pack on charge for a while and just realised the charger has output 4.8V ???!!!!!

(1) Will it stuff my pack.....? Or perhaps they are all 4.8V and they just "overcharge" the hump packs up to 6V as it doesn't appear to be peak detection?

(2) The Venom 6v pack says to charge at 1A or 2A but not to trickle charge. The output of the charger is 100mA so to me seems unsuitable ???

I hope I haven't got a useless charger or pack as LHS is 300km away
Old 12-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Now to add to my confusion: the charger is not a peak detection or anything so it keeps going I guess. It has charged my pack to 7.1V

will that blow my Rx or servos????

Anyone?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That's a good question. I have 6V 16mAh receiver packs, but my NiMH receiver/radio charger is at 4.8V for the RX pack. Hopefully some of the experts will clarify the charging requirements between 4.8V and 6V receiver packs.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Tech Adept

Hmmm...... thanks I think hahahha
Doesn't help my confusion but it IS nice to know I am not the only one with a 6V pack who asked for a charger at the store and got a 4.8V one

I guess if I charge a 6V pack with a 4.8V charger and got a pack charged to 7V at the end of it I can't complain... it is not undercharged and therefore not weak for racing.
Maybe I need to just turn off after a couple hours and measure, charge a bit more, measure etc until I can charge it to near enough 6V.

Still scared to plug it in in case my Rx fries.

Experts opinions????
Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark_Australia
Hmmm...... thanks I think hahahha
Doesn't help my confusion but it IS nice to know I am not the only one with a 6V pack who asked for a charger at the store and got a 4.8V one

I guess if I charge a 6V pack with a 4.8V charger and got a pack charged to 7V at the end of it I can't complain... it is not undercharged and therefore not weak for racing.
Maybe I need to just turn off after a couple hours and measure, charge a bit more, measure etc until I can charge it to near enough 6V.

Still scared to plug it in in case my Rx fries.

Experts opinions????
7V is NOT going to hurt your receiver, but it could cause a problem for the servo's. Guys who run 7V lipo receiver packs run a small voltage regulator for the sake of the servo motor.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

That just means your reciever battery holds alittle more juice than it says which is actually a good thing it will last longer between charges. It desnt matter if it says 15000000 volts it will discharge at the same rate as any other reciever pack. No need to worry. But make shure you charge it on the proper setting once shouldnt hurt it but if you charge it on the wrong setting too many times you will mess up the pack.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Surface voltage that means nothing. To get a pack to 6 volts the charger has to force current in at a higher voltage. Put it in the car and work the servos a couple of times. Voltage will fall back to 6.2 to 6.4 and do a steady decline from there as used.

BTW, the charger you have is considered a trickle charger.

Ed M.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks dudes....... that was sorta my plan, I let the pack 'rest' a few hours and the voltage will drop a little....then plug it in and turn car on for 1min and it probably will have dropped to almost 6V by the time I fire the motor up

I am still confused as to why Venom say not to trickle charge?