Wiki Posts
Search

thinking of buying a revo

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default thinking of buying a revo

so i am looking for a new offroad truck to bash around with my son.
he just received a new slash.
im thinking that it would be fun to give nitro a go.

i have never had or used a nitro truck/car
so obviously i have no experience with tuning or whatever.
is the revo going to be a good truck to 'learn' on?

so please give your input.
thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

revos are super fun and are great bashers, and if you get more into it you can also race one.

tuning
i would break the motor in as the manual says, but it may be easier ounce it is broke in take it to the local hobby shop and ask if one of the days that week they can teach you how to tune, or if you have friends into it to teach you? all i have to say is never try hard to tune, it will be very frustrating when you cannt get your new car going, because you siezed the motor for being too lean. but if you have any questions, your local hobby shop will always be there for you hopefully, and most shops carry traxxas parts. they are going to be your best source of information.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Yes, the Revo is a good truck. Is a good truck to learn how to tune a nitro engine on? No. None of them are, but you must learn somewhere.

I'd suggest picking up a 1/10 2wd RTR gas truck, such as the AE gt2. They're pretty reliable, cheaper, and won't go through fuel like an MT.

Read up, and be patient with whatever you buy.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

sorry.. whats an MT ?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macscac
sorry.. whats an MT ?
MT means monster truck. If you like traxxas then get a revo. The good news is that most all hobby shops have parts for them. The bad news is that you will need parts, lots of them. Check out the losi muggy, much simpler and very tough. No 2 speed tranny to deal with. The muggy has a totally different drivetrain layout, same as the 1/8 scale buggy & truggy. Traxxas' engines are a nightmare to keep tuned. Only my opinion.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

mt=monster truck ie. T-maxx, Savage, Revo, Losi LST, etc.

In regards to the others. The monster trucks are great for back yard rippin'. AKA Bashin'. But, if you are going to race, at any level, 1/10 scale nitro would be 2wd truck, as mentioned. If you want to really get into nitro racing, 1/8 scale truggy and buggy is where its at. IMO, you learn the basics either way, so you might as well decide what you want to do now. If you plan on hitting the racing scene might as well get 1/8th scale truggy or buggy. And if you just learnin to drive, get the truggy. Team Losi has an AWESOME RTR package for entry level. Team Associated is also introducing a nice package RTR RC8T soon. The cool thing with the RTR packages is you get a motor, a chasis and a decent radio that you can be competitive with right outta the box. Plus, you have a good platform to build on. Upgrade and so forth as you learn what the hot set ups are and so forth. All opinion here just something to think about before you make any real investment.

But, if you are gonna buy a monster, the Traxxas Revo 3.3 is by far the best. Except for maybe a Losi, but i have never seen one up close, the savage is big, but workin on it is More hassle than its worth.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

i appreciate the input...
how hard is it to keep an engine tuned?
is there a lot involved in that?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

will agree, i wouldnt want my first engine ever to be a Traxxas ne thing! They are a booger to keep tuned up and performing well, and then add in the two speed, i will admit its a bit of a nightmare, but, if you do get it dialed, its bad ass watchin it shift gears and really move!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

is keeping up on a nitro engine more difficult than this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As
seems rather easy
Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Addict

yeah, thats basically it, you just have to really pay close attention to your temps and smoke as mentioned in the vid. You can ruin a new motor real quick if you arent careful and or not paying close attention to its performance.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

honestly, would i be better off buying like a duratrax raze for a first time nitro car?
looks like the raze is a decent truggy and is about 160 less
Old 12-13-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I would say, whatever you buy, do not buy the cheapest thing out there. They may good to learn on, but if they are cheaply made and break parts often, you may get discouraged. The more expensive vehicle are generally more expensive because they are built better and made to hold up to a little more abuse without breaking. Also, like it has been mentioned, buy something that your local hobby shop carries parts for. Less down time means less aggravation. Thanks just my .02 worth. There is also plenty of help here on the forums if you run into any snags. Good luck and have fun!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

do people ever use MT's on tracks?
i understand they use revo's but what about things like savages?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would go buy a used Pro level Truggy like a MBX5T, they are on ebay right now for killer prices.. a Truggy is easier to work on, more durable, better performing, needs far less hoppups and is all around superior in every way imaginable...Revo's are fragile and tend to become very costly to keep running....... Whereas Pro level Truggies are nearly bullet proof.... you can buy used MBX5T's for just over $200.00.... I bash with my 5T and it does awesome !!

for motor buy a Mach 427, add a sealed backplate
a used bumpbox, ( beleive me a bump box is 100000X easier then any cheezy OWB or EZ srtart system)

if you shop well you can put together a top grade used Pro truggy for the price of a Revo, you will have a much superior vehicle that will last many gallons of enjoyment without any of the headache's associated with the Toy grade Traxxas products

another bonus is used Truggies usually come with plenty of spare parts and accessories...
Old 12-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

A REVO???? Two words- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.