R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   OS Speed drivability (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/259684-os-speed-drivability.html)

hobdog 12-12-2008 04:30 PM

OS Speed drivability

I just got a speed recently and am real impressed by the power of this .21. It originally came with the jp-4 and it was real difficult to drive due to the power band kicking in real hard on the bottom after what felt like a bit of a hesitation which I am told is the weighted crank. I borrowed a os2050 pipe and header and it smoothed out the power band a bit, and made it a bit more controlable. I am still trying to find a way to make the power delivery a bit smoother insted of the crazy bottom\mid range punch. I am running it in a jammin x2crt. I have run several motors in this truggy including the go 5pt., jammin .21, and this engine is so much harder to drive because of the power curve I am experiencing. Anyone have any suggestions, and am I the only one that has experienced this comming from other mills?

Darin Z 12-12-2008 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by hobdog (Post 5160006)
I just got a speed recently and am real impressed by the power of this .21. It originally came with the jp-4 and it was real difficult to drive due to the power band kicking in real hard on the bottom after what felt like a bit of a hesitation which I am told is the weighted crank. I borrowed a os2050 pipe and header and it smoothed out the power band a bit, and made it a bit more controlable. I am still trying to find a way to make the power delivery a bit smoother insted of the crazy bottom\mid range punch. I am running it in a jammin x2crt. I have run several motors in this truggy including the go 5pt., jammin .21, and this engine is so much harder to drive because of the power curve I am experiencing. Anyone have any suggestions, and am I the only one that has experienced this comming from other mills?

Put a 6mm restrictor in it and that will solve your problem. The power will come on smoother and still be really fast.

jrwoodchuck 12-12-2008 04:47 PM

What clutch are you running? I prefer mugen carbon shoes and 1.0 springs, I tried aluminum shoes and had the same problem as you. The Speed has plenty of bottom to handle an earlier engadgement of the clutch.

JAMMINKRAZY 12-12-2008 04:50 PM

Try the O.S. 2060. I have heard that is supposed to be the smoother of the two. I personally don't have either. I didn't feel like putting out that kind of coin right after I already had for the motor so I bought the EB mods EFRA 2041. I havent gotten a chance to break in the new speed yet though. I have been running a JP-3 on my standard v-spec in my losi truggy and it has been good to me so far. But I think the smoothest would be the 2060, or atleast thats what I have heard.

mugenb46 12-12-2008 05:16 PM

The 2060 is smoother, i like the feel of it over the 2050 in my truggy, and still has killer runtime. The IDRC carb insert is the way to go, I'm using a JX .21 in truggy but it is close to a speed in design only.

hobdog 12-12-2008 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by mugenb46 (Post 5160150)
The 2060 is smoother, i like the feel of it over the 2050 in my truggy, and still has killer runtime. The IDRC carb insert is the way to go, I'm using a JX .21 in truggy but it is close to a speed in design only.

I am running a 8mm restrictor right now with a mugen clutch 1.0 springs and dynamite max life shoes. The track that I am running right now is loose dirt and bumpy so it kind of amplifies the problem. Is the IDRC carb insert that good compared to others, I have been eyeing those for a while but did not know much about them.

hambone 12-12-2008 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by hobdog (Post 5160390)
I am running a 8mm restrictor right now with a mugen clutch 1.0 springs and dynamite max life shoes. The track that I am running right now is loose dirt and bumpy so it kind of amplifies the problem. Is the IDRC carb insert that good compared to others, I have been eyeing those for a while but did not know much about them.

OS 2060 is THE way to go on the speed. I think it runs best with the 8mm venturi. Just rebuilt mine and put a eb modded head button and back plate. Ed says i should run the 9mm venturi but winter set in here in pa so i haven't had a chance to try. These motors have great power everywhere and rev better and pull harder than anything i've seen. JX ninja pretty identical. Get the right pipe on it. You can still get a eb mods 2041 on ebay if you find the 2060 too salty. Work with your clutch. You may have to stagger the spring tension. Look into answer-rcusa clutch set. Comes with shoes and 3 sets of springs, 0.9, 1.0 and 1.1 for 19 bucks.

Owen RaCing 12-12-2008 07:06 PM

Now what do you guys think of the JP-3 VS JP-4 on the speed? I like the way it drives with the JP 3, I have not had a chance to use a 4 on it, but I do have one.

Thanks,

hobdog 12-12-2008 07:06 PM

has anyone ran a dynamite 086 on one of the speeds? I have one laying around and I have really liked it on other mils. I am interested in seeing if you like the eb mods head button. It looks good on the dyno, I just am curious as to feel with the trigger?

golferdude1971 12-12-2008 07:13 PM

Hambone, Can you elaborate on what performance benefits that the eb modded head button and back plate have? Thanks

stipres 12-12-2008 07:16 PM

IMO the speed is probally one of the smoothest motors out there, along with the GRP and JX.21. i have a jammin and that thing is crazy "punchy", more like an on/off switch. i ran a 2050 only cuz i had one but i would have like to try the 2060 as i c many people using them on Speed. if you don't feel like shelling out the cash for new pipes, you can always play with your expo in your radio to tame the motor down, its free. carbon shoes are always a good idea to, smoother than aluminum.

hambone 12-12-2008 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by golferdude1971 (Post 5160508)
Hambone, Can you elaborate on what performance benefits that the eb modded head button and back plate have? Thanks

Look at the jx ninja thread. Tony's screws posted the dyno comparison stock vs modded. As far as the backplate goes i would have to ask ed what that does power band wise. The head modified button is reshaped. It slows down the speed of the mixture getting forced toward the glow plug. Best explanation i can give. Slows the burn. I know what ed did to it but that's for him to say if he wants. My speed motor screams. Got a rebuild after 9 gallons. It never ran like this. I practiced with it over thanksgiving when i was down south visiting my son. First time on a outdoor track since rebuild. Only had the 8mm venturi in it and i couldn't be happier. Got monster power everywhere.

JoeyTheRocket 12-12-2008 07:49 PM

I don't know if they are out yet, But you have to try the new BB Mods V-spec. I drove one Wednesday night, and it blow the speed motor out of the water. It also cheaper and a lot of hand work goes into them. We tried a fuel millage run with a 6.5mm insert, and a 97T OD plug. I don't want to say too much but it was really impressive. I also didn't mean EB Mods V-spec, they are BB Mods and available from Hobbico soon.

CarCrazy 12-12-2008 11:07 PM

Yep with the OS 2060 pipe, the Speed is very smooth. :nod:

Maximo 12-12-2008 11:53 PM

remember the X2 Truggy is much lighter in the back end then the MBX5T you were used to.... The Speed is actually a very smooth engine with a weighted crank..I would be looking at setup as your not going to find a much smoother easier to drive 21 then a Speed.....

I just read where your saying the motor has a hesitation, then it goes.... this is not normal for a Speed.... The Speed should pull smooth and steady right off idle... not lul then explode........ I would consider checking your MSN position as well as clutch engagement RPM, a low engaging clutch or out of position MSN would cause this issue...

2 weeks ago my boys were running a JPX 21 vs a Speed and by far the Speed was smoother and easier to drive, the JPX was coming on too hard out of the corners and kicking out, the Speed was tracking straight and easy....We use Speeds for loose slick tracks, and run the Picco's on high bite tracks..... Which is why I say your issues are setup related and not engine related, a Speed is actually even mellower down low then a regular V-Spec