R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Glueing Tires (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/258361-glueing-tires.html)

Gixxer2k4 12-06-2008 09:33 PM

Glueing Tires

Well tried to glue tires an barely got my hands of the tire before the glue dried lol. Had a small moment of panick for a second. Gonna have to dig for a thread of a vid of how to do it to prevent glueing myself to stuff. :lol:

It was my first attempt trying

Super Glue-1
Me-0

Tree 12-06-2008 09:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vmWf...C98050&index=0

Bigedmond 12-07-2008 01:44 AM

That video misses a very important step. After using the sanding wheel on the rim and tires, use rubbing alcohol to clean the tire and rim.

As for glueing, i use a small paper cur with more of the wall cut off. I will put some glue in the cup, and use a flat edged tooth pick to apply glue to the inside bead. Then when i am done with the bead, i use the fat end of the flat toothpick and smooth any glue that squeezes out and apply a smooth amount that covers a little rubber and rim.

sirKandal 12-07-2008 02:05 AM

whats the best glue to use on wheels?

Gixxer2k4 12-07-2008 02:53 AM

thanks for the tip guys..

jamminnay 12-07-2008 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by sirKandal (Post 5136528)

FUSION!!!

franklucas 12-07-2008 07:19 AM

I hate gluing tires I don't have the dexterity to do it well. I buy pre glued LOL!! Though they definately don't stayed glued as long as when I do it myself.

zixxer 12-07-2008 07:58 AM

aka glue or losi glue has worked best for me

i didnt see in here if anyone mentioned tire bands ...they are the single best thing you can use to make sure your tires are right ...get em prepped get the tire bands around them and then peel back section around the bead and lay small small amounts of glue in there ....do one side let em dry for about a few hours then flip em and hit the other side ....on truggy tires my buddy had showed me you could also use electrical tape in place of tire bands ..and it was golden worked like a champ :nod:

slidejob26 12-07-2008 10:28 AM

I have the best luck with Fusion or losi:nod:

Bigedmond 12-07-2008 10:34 AM

For glue, i dont care, what brand it is, i just make sure its less then a month old, because glue does go bad.

For bands i use panther bands. I find using the 8th buggy bands on truggy tires works best, and panther 10th bands work best on 8th buggy.

1 key that i learned from pros. Also glue the outside first when at the track. That way it has the longest time to set. Most tires blowout on the outside, so giving them a little extra time to set is best.

zixxer 12-07-2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bigedmond (Post 5137403)
For glue, i dont care, what brand it is, i just make sure its less then a month old, because glue does go bad.

For bands i use panther bands. I find using the 8th buggy bands on truggy tires works best, and panther 10th bands work best on 8th buggy.

1 key that i learned from pros. Also glue the outside first when at the track. That way it has the longest time to set. Most tires blowout on the outside, so giving them a little extra time to set is best.

yeh bands are the best ...if im not in a hurry i will usually let the sides dry over night ...but i spared saying it as most people wont wait that long ...it truley does make a huge difference if you let em dry over night ...:nod:

Integra 12-07-2008 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by sirKandal (Post 5136528)

AKA :nod:

tire bands are a MUST.....i actually use my MT bands for everything...buggy and truggy....as most of the new buggy wheels are a taller diameter and dont require the foam Crushing force of the buggy bands....and glue your tires DAYS in advance...why bother with glueing on race day ?

jamminnay 12-07-2008 04:49 PM

sometimes you have to glue tires on race day.. it happens.. this year i bought mostly pre mounts though. only glued when i got in a pinch.

153stars 12-07-2008 05:29 PM

Use the losi's plastic needle that goes in the bottle I squish the end nearly closed with the thin glue. Super control. I open the bead and work my way all the way around withe the losi bands in place . I know some guys that open the inside of the tire up and add an inside gluing to the outer bead. They do the outer bead first of coarse.

JAMMINKRAZY 12-07-2008 06:19 PM

I use panther bands and losi blue(medium) glue. with the bands on(directly over the bead) I use the little tube that comes with the glue and go around the tire peeling the bead back slightly. I then use the tube and basically draw a thin line of glue around the inside of the bead about 1/4 of an inch in on the bead of the tire. leave the band on for an hour or so and start the same process on the back side. Don't use alot of glue or it will just mess things up. using too much glue lengthens the drying time and actually weakens the glue joint plus it makes a big mess. since I started using this method I have not had one single tire failure plus my tires look alot neater.