Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hole in tire vs. hole in rim

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Here is something to keep in mind, i got it from Ryan Lutz over in the AKA tires thread a while back; this was a month or so ago, so things may have changed. It depends on the foams you are using as well. if you have converted to AKA like many have, the AKA foams are a closed cell. they don't really need to breathe like the open cell foams we are all use to. if i remember right, he said one hole in the tire would actually be enough to just let the air in the tire escape when mounting up. i run 2 holes 180 deg. apart to allow stuff inside the tire to escape.

when i used open cell foams, definately 3 holes in the tire with a leather hole punch.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

you can get punches at home depot or hobby lobby i know that for sure... screw lowes!!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

I've heard form a local pro that you want holes in the TIRES if you're running on a track that will have lots of water added to the track (even just moist tracks) but for DRY, DUSTY, HARD PACKED tracks you want holes in the tires. right now i have a set of each way mounted up (2 sets of Bows, 2 sets of Fighters, and 2 sets of gators). One local track waters alot and the other dosen't so i take one set of tires to one and another to the other and so far....... i think its driver preference LOL i like this set up for me, but most guys i know just run holes in the tires. FYI proline rims come pre-drilled. so if that says anything idk. not arguing for tires or rims just my .02
Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Location: West Ozzie living in Merrigum...Shepparton...Victoria
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hay Fletcher6371,

You are missing a DON'T
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I personally run 2 leather punched holes 180 degrees apart on the tire. I have run this way for awhile with both buggy and truggy tires and it seems to work for me. I do use slightly larger holes for my truggy tires. I use a rorating leather punch with all different size punches. works great and is very easy to do.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by arr see car
Hay Fletcher6371,

You are missing a DON'T
https://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore...dproduct=10010

if you look at the bottom of the pic, these are pre-drilled. Every pair of prolines that I"VE had where pre-drilled.

i might be wrong but this is my experience.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fletcher6371
https://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore...dproduct=10010

if you look at the bottom of the pic, these are pre-drilled. Every pair of prolines that I"VE had where pre-drilled.

i might be wrong but this is my experience.
I believe he is talking about where you say

Originally Posted by Fletcher6371
but for DRY, DUSTY, HARD PACKED tracks you want holes in the tires.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I believe he is talking about where you say
AH........my bad........sorry if it seemed like i was calling you wrong Arr. i wasn't I've been known to be wrong before. I'm the first to admit i jumped.

you are correct Jammin, i meant to say NO hole in the tires for a dry track.....
Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

One other thing is you can tune your tires with the amount of hole you put in your tires or wheels. The more holes the faster air will enter and escape and will make your tire feels softer. This is good for a rough track. Less holes will let the air escape slower and make them feel firmer. Good for smooth high bite tracks.

I hope no one else has said this already. I didn't read all the post.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamminnay
you can get punches at home depot or hobby lobby i know that for sure... screw lowes!!

I'm gonna guess you have the same memories at your local Lowes as I do at my local Home Depot.......there is never anyone to help you......all the check out lanes are closed!!!!......everyone gives you the wrong information......and you can't find shit!!!!...........I think those two stores are competing to see which one can lose the most customers first
Old 12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've always ran holes in the rims and we drive on hard packed clay, thats watered 4 to 5 minutes before we race.

Here is a pic of my rear tire under load - They are M2 bow ties with firm proline foams. They seem to be fine and last a long time. I brush the tires to keep them clean after each heat, seems to be working for me.
Attached Thumbnails Hole in tire vs. hole in rim-100_4032.jpg  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Only saving grace is I live behind home depot so it makes life easy & mine is a old small one staffed with pro's(sometimes),but I have felt like I was lost in hell's dungeon before. TOO FUNNY
Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I'm gonna guess you have the same memories at your local Lowes as I do at my local Home Depot.......there is never anyone to help you......all the check out lanes are closed!!!!......everyone gives you the wrong information......and you can't find shit!!!!...........I think those two stores are competing to see which one can lose the most customers first
lol or it could be that i have worked for home depot for five years!!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamminnay
lol or it could be that i have worked for home depot for five years!!
That is truly funny! I hope you are not like the rest of the employees. no disrespect meant.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I cut open a mounted tire that didn't have a hole in it but there were holes in the rim, and sure enough it had alot of dirt inside. I'd say a good heaping tablespoon full.

The directions that come with Proline tires say you can cut an X in the tires, I wonder if this would be better than a hole? I just mounted a set of AKA Gridirons and I'm trying 2 holes about 2mm in size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.