R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Mugen or Xray that is the question. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/257433-mugen-xray-question.html)

FactoryTeam08 12-02-2008 12:16 PM

Mugen or Xray that is the question.

Which is the better buggy and which would you buy???

The car needs to be good on a slick tight track but also
be able to handle a fast open track with big triple jumps
and rough sections.

K_B 12-02-2008 02:38 PM

Ford or Chevy???

Both are equally awesome. You just need to take into consideration the price and availability of parts to make your decision...

Jaz240 12-02-2008 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by K_B (Post 5119229)
Both are equally awesome. You just need to take into consideration the price and availability of parts to make your decision...

+1.....you will win with either one, but here are some facts I do know to help with your choice..

My XRAY feels indestructable! I cant tell you how many times, and how bad I have crashed this car, and have not broken anything! 6 months of practice and racing, no slop, no broken pieces. Cannot say the same for Mugen, guys at my track break em all the time.

The Mugen is more adjustable to set-ups than the XRAY.

Mugen has Pivot ball suspension-XRAY has C-hub, big difference to some, as the Pivot ball makes it more adjustable, but more of a pain in the butt to change A-arms, and you have added maintenance on the Mugen because the balls need to be kept clean.

The XRAY needs bearings cleaned or replaced every 2-3 gallons, Mugen does not have this problem.

Xray is slightly lighter, and a better jumper. Mugen puts the power down better, better traction and acceleration.

The Hudy spring steel on the XRAY make it superior quality, and the Kit goes together like a dream, no sanding, no filing. It practically built itself. You will not need any option parts, and the box set-up is as close to perfect as you will find.

I love my XRAY, but you have to choose what's right for you, and what your LHS stocks. Hope this helped, good luck

c baron 12-02-2008 03:23 PM

gota go with the XRAY

CarCrazy 12-02-2008 06:06 PM

Yep,.. going to have to say Xray.
Its a solid car and has no weak points that might break during a race like the Mugen. Yes, the center diff bearings need replacing before big races on the Xray, but thats a maintenance item, not a weak point. You can get parts for the Xray online at most shops. In fact because the Xray has been out longer, you actually find Xray parts easier than MBX6 parts right now. There are also plenty of unneeded hop-ups for the Xray, so we can all waist our money! LOL!

+3,.. go with the Xray! :nod:

butch man 12-02-2008 06:46 PM

Last car was a MBX5R & was pretty good after tweaking & lots of setup time. My 808 felt better out of the box for what I like handling wise. I also thought the mugen was top dog of reliability till I got the 808. Theres a new sheriff in town boys. I have a few new mugens at my track & several have broken but I wasnt watching them when they broke & not sure what it was except for something in the front upper arm. My friend that races the 6 tells me they are gonna be putting a fix for the front of the mugen in the box on the next shipment so what ever it was should not happen anymore. I swapped cars with my buddy one day & my 808 had more rear traction than his 6 but other than that they felt the exact same with our respective setups. I would go 808 now that I know, but really for someone that isnt brand loyal yet just flip a coin. Oh yea around 5 gal on my 808 now with no slop & no breaks. I do mail order parts for the 808 but I also had to with the mugen so that makes no difference to me.

CarCrazy 12-03-2008 05:22 PM

LOL! That would be +4 for the Xray..!:lol:

tony montana 12-03-2008 06:08 PM

Moooooooo all the way

o.s. power 12-04-2008 03:14 PM

i love how all you say the mugens break. Just cause you see 1 mugen break doesnt mean they all break. I know read above something with the front upper arm. Ok, what else breaks? Enlighten the rest of us so we know!!!!

Its on thing for 1 part to consistently break, but please dont dog the car if you dont know what else, if anything, breaks.

tony montana 12-04-2008 04:34 PM

+1 on the mugens being very durable, dont you know that xray is going up 25%. What hop ups does the mugen need by the way

jsmax 12-04-2008 05:26 PM

The mugen only needs the HPI Savage 4x46mm hinge pins to fix the front upper hinge pins poping out (stock pins are to short and a little flex by the holder helps the pop out). Getting the aluminum holder is also good. Between those 2, I think it is pretty durable. But, Also have to say it has not been out long enough to really tell and would agree that the X-ray, as long as the pinion bearings are well maintained, is extremely durable.

xlgraphicspro 12-04-2008 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by tony montana (Post 5128476)
+1 on the mugens being very durable, dont you know that xray is going up 25%. What hop ups does the mugen need by the way

+1 on Xray, plus you don't need any upgrades to be ultra-competitive, not just competitive, ULTRA!:lol:

Xray is also a bit lighter.

K_B 12-04-2008 05:56 PM

5-4 in favor of X-ray... we're almost back where we started :)

cm27456 12-04-2008 06:15 PM

im gonna have to say the mugen.

If you buy the xray, you are buying an expensive Losi. :nod:

free2day77 12-04-2008 06:18 PM

i would say mugen out of these 2..