Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
GS Storm and Storm Cl-1 Thread >

GS Storm and Storm Cl-1 Thread

GS Storm and Storm Cl-1 Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default pics

yes please post pics... im about to get my kit for xmas from my wife. i can not wait to get it... 4 more days ....
Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

getting the advanced conversion for my cl-1 and soon to have a new paint scheme to atch my st-rr!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default CL-1+

Hi GS-pinas. How's the racing going? I have the Advanced. I know you guys run the Plus and my question is what did they improve on the Plus? What other brands make up the majority of the racers there? By the way everyone, I see Amain has the Plus marked down to $289.99! Doubt it will stay that way past the holliday unless there's a new one on the way. If my heater core in my truck hadn't broke open I'd pick one up. At that price it would be a good conversion kit and a lot of good extra parts. Thanks guys, and keep us posted on your races over there.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

my race season doesn't start untill may !!!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by derek_18mt View Post
my race season doesn't start untill may !!!
+1
Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi! I got an RTR GS storm in a trade for my HPI firestorm (and paid £20 for an HPI 3.5 engine to go with it). I've only run it a couple of times but it's a nice handling buggy, even though the previous owner swapped out the servos for futaba s3003's! I'm going to stick an MG995 in for steering and race it.

Has anoyone noticed the similarity between the storm and the hyper7 and kyosho mp7.5? I'm thinking parts might be interchangeable.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Default Interchangeable Parts

Many 1/8 buggies look very similar, and, in many cases, the designs are very close to the same. That is usually where the similarities end. Bolt patterns, overall dimensions, part diameters, etc. vary from one brand to another. If you have the Storm RTR I'm thinking of, then it is out of production but there are still parts available. First, I don't think they've sold all the replacement parts they had for that buggy yet so if your local hobby shop can't get them try Amainhobbies online. Second, GS has one called the Storm Evolution now. It's parts are 95% compatible with our old Storms. The other 5% are the chassis with its captured hingepin design. This does away with those blocks bolted to your chassis holding the lower hingepins. Third, there is Fioroni Option Team parts. They have a chassis kit similar to the new one by GS but of higher quality by far and it can be found on ebay stores for the same price. Fioroni made a lot of parts for the old Storm and many are still out there, mostly online. Last, ebay. I've picked up a hopped up Storm PRo a yr ago for $130, saw one sell for $90 a few months ago and recently saw one w/radio and engine go for $150. A great way to get the parts you need and have some left, maybe a good engine and/or radio depending on what you find. Hope this helps some. Brett, Upside Down Racing Team
Old 12-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default screwed by screws

Hey the rooks here with a question ... I just got my kit and i got some tools from LHS. I already managed strip the tops of 2 screws in the dif.. I am guessing its the kind of rookie mistakes i will run into but i now figure that i will prob have to order more screws. I guess either the tools my lHS game me are crap or i gave it to much elbow.. or both ... since this has happened so early should i get some Tony screws to replace them all ... has anyone had this happen?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default diff

I dont think you can build the diffs with out striping the stock bolts lol. I found some HPI bolts at my local shop with a bigger hex head and they work great. The other thing you want to do is put 3 diff shims on the gear side of your diff and one on the other, this will push the gear closer to the pinion. Trust me it helps. Good luck with your car.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default GS CL-1 Advanced Plus

Hey guys, I am considering on picking up a CL-1 advanced plus buggy and was wondering if someone can tell me the handling characteristic of this buggy? I had the cl-1 pro kit but, I really did not get a chance to race the buggy. I was quick to judge and sold it before I even really got a chance to see this buggy’s full potential.

Btw… Are the diffs spiral?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you & Happy Holidays!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

all I can answer to the above is that the diffs are spiral.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Hi I am one of the racers from the Philippines and was one of the first who used GS XUT PRO Adv and GS CL1 ADV. Both are great platforms and can compete with the more popular brands. Its pretty forgiving for a novice driver. Great handling and turning.

Here are some advise if ever you do purchase a GS CL1 Adv)

Buy the rear hinge pin hop up (aluminum) THe plastic one flex and youy rear hinge will pop out. Purchasing this will eliminate the problem.

Rear and front diff box. Set your shimming to 4 shims crown side 0 on the other side. If you dont your crown gear will not last long.

Thread lock the grab screw of the dog bones. It easily falls off.

One problem that we havent found a fix yet is the wear on the front and rear out drives. Too much wear. Need to repalce them after a few races.

If these issues are worked out. It will be a perfect race buggy.

do thesame for the truggy.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

They probably fixed that with the advanced plus, and they are going for $270 minus 25 off= thats a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by oggietiu View Post

Buy the rear hinge pin hop up (aluminum) THe plastic one flex and youy rear hinge will pop out. Purchasing this will eliminate the problem.

Rear and front diff box. Set your shimming to 4 shims crown side 0 on the other side. If you dont your crown gear will not last long.

Thread lock the grab screw of the dog bones. It easily falls off.

One problem that we havent found a fix yet is the wear on the front and rear out drives. Too much wear. Need to repalce them after a few races.
1. Yes, but the alum. ones are much more heavier. I never had my hinge pin pop put when the plastic brace was in use, but it happened when I had a bad crash so yeah, in went the alum. one.

2. I shim 3pcs on the crown side, and 1pc on the other.

3. Never had a prob with the grub screw.

4. Are you talking about the lightened outdrives?

The only Issue i have right now is the 4 self-tapping screws that holds the crown gear to the diff case seem to loosen. Tighten them a little too much and you'll strip the diff case. Any workaround? Teflon tape didn't help much
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Default GS News

GS has signed '05 Austrian champ, Rene Kargl and 2008 RB Cup winner Carlos Duraes. Carlos took 2nd in a 4hr. endurance race in before signing with GS, finishing in front of a GS CL1 driver. In the National GMCA Championship in Malta, GS made a great showing! Carmelo Portelli lapped the field for 1st driving his CL1 +. Maric Grech took 3rd with his +. 4th and 5th spots were taken by a CL1 Pro RTR and CL1 Pro Team Kit respectively. In the 4th round of the Modelcar Challenge in October 28 this year, GS drivers took 1st 2nd and 3rd after Carlos Duraes, our new team driver but runnig for HoBao at the time, lost the first 6 laps lead due to electronics. In the Portugal, August RB Cup, GS drivers took 11 of the top 15 spots! A XRay took 1st, HoBao5th, Kyosho and Mugen 12th and 13th respectively. A GS driver took 1st in a big Taiwan race with 2 Losi's,4 Hot Bodie's,1 XRay, and 2 HoBao's rounding out the top ten. Point of all this? GS is the real deal, and if they catch on here as they have in these countries, we'll start seeing them in the US race standings. GS is only moderately popular in KS, and they're mostly used as bashers, despite their racing potential. I'll be racing mine though and urge you to do the same wherever you're at. Why stick with them? They're durable, race ready, and I like having something different. I also like the challenge of helping GS popularity along here in the US. Happy Racing and keep the shiny side up. Brett. Up Side Down Racing Team

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service