R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   quick question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/255978-quick-question.html)

dadsvtechonda 11-25-2008 05:58 PM

quick question

just wondering what is the best way to break in a engine
1 for long life
2 max power
3 overall
just wondering what you guy think and your past experience

looper 11-25-2008 06:02 PM

what size engine?

last time i broke in a 12 i idled 2 tanks then drove it rich around the track with frequent stops to let it cool at bdc. after that it was ready for race tune

Jaz240 11-25-2008 06:10 PM

I have always been a firm believer to break in the specific engine following the factory recommended break in procedure. All engines are different, and I think the manufacturer knows best how to break em in. when I first started in Nitro RC I used the standard Heat cycling method, then I got a T-maxx, and Traxxas had a detailed break in that was designed for the 2.5. I figured it would be best from that point to follow factory recommendations, hasn't failed me yet.

dadsvtechonda 11-25-2008 06:13 PM

.21 to a .28 engine no larger

Troubles Dad 11-25-2008 06:44 PM

I have tried the factory way and everytime I idle 2 or 3 tanks thru a motor it has not lasted or come apart, so now I heat cycle them while driving them around, I personally feel that the extra load of the vehicle is a great thing, even in the middle of winter:nod:

Heat cycling is a time involved thing, but still have not had any issues with longevity as several gallons thru them and still running strong

houston 11-25-2008 07:00 PM

no idling , heat cycle while driving very easy , do not let the engine hit the powerband the first 6-8 tanks . fire it up run it around at 160 for a few min. , then cool it with piston free , run it around at about 200 for a half tank or so , let it cool , run it around at about 220 for 4-5 tanks gently with no powerband !!!! check temps frequently to maintain constant temps, temps will jump all over the place with a new engine . richen the needles back up put a new glow plug in (wether its bad or not)and go out on the track and sneak up on "the race tune" , recommend finding the local tuning guru to get you completely dialed in !!!
theres actually a little more involved than what i have posted but would make for a very long article :nod:

refer to ron paris nitro bible if any more q's

dadsvtechonda 11-25-2008 07:15 PM

thanks guys i like to hear others imput so i can save a whole lot of time
lol im really gettin addicted to R/Cs

dadsvtechonda 11-26-2008 07:34 PM

bump:batman:

vladconnery 11-27-2008 07:03 AM

Well everyone has an opinion and Heres mine.

I run RB's I have followed the manufactors directions everytime. I am on 8 Gals on my S3, 4 on my WS7III and they both still make excellent power. If Rody the engine designer thought heat cycling was better I think he would make it the manufactors method. You can always talk directly to him at RB USA's web site.

Just a side note I'm not saying heat cycling is wrong. However what I am saying if you never done it before. Make sure you do it with someone who has. Hate to see you with a $300 paperweight.