Wiki Posts
Search

Bump box motor change

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default Bump box motor change

I have purchased two new 775 motors to replace the dual 550 set up in my bump box. I need pinons for the new motors as the shaft sizes are different.

Does anyone know where I can get the pinons for my OFNA box? I have tried searching the web, OFNA web site and others to no avail.

Can anyone help?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

I don't know, but this is what scared me away from replacing the motors in my Losi box with the stronger 775 motors. I ended up running the stock 550 motors with two 7-cell packs instead of the required 6-cell packs. This made all the difference in the world, and the box has absolutely no trouble starting my GRP .21 anymore.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Call Nitrohouse @ 1-800-928-0304 They will get you the correct parts for everything.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LVBaja
I don't know, but this is what scared me away from replacing the motors in my Losi box with the stronger 775 motors. I ended up running the stock 550 motors with two 7-cell packs instead of the required 6-cell packs. This made all the difference in the world, and the box has absolutely no trouble starting my GRP .21 anymore.
for the price of 2 7 cell's you could have easily stepped into the Lipo realm of things.....40-50$ will get you a decent 4 cell that will BLOW stick packs out of the water...but that's if you have a lipo charger already....if you had to factor in a charger it wouldn't balance out obviously....for motor's just get some decent 27T 550 can motor's and they will do Just fine...the losi's are weak to say the least.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

You're right. At some point I'll go with the LIPO cells, but I don't have a charger for them yet, and I have plenty of 6 and 7-cell matched packs from my 1/10th scale electric cars. Question on the motors you mentioned - how do you get the pullies off the old motors and onto the new ones? It looks like they're pressed on, but I tried to pry them off and it seemed nearly impossible. Strange that they don't mount with a set screw like a normal pinion gear on an electric motor.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by LVBaja
You're right. At some point I'll go with the LIPO cells, but I don't have a charger for them yet, and I have plenty of 6 and 7-cell matched packs from my 1/10th scale electric cars. Question on the motors you mentioned - how do you get the pullies off the old motors and onto the new ones? It looks like they're pressed on, but I tried to pry them off and it seemed nearly impossible. Strange that they don't mount with a set screw like a normal pinion gear on an electric motor.
hah funny story....i was in a mad rush on a friday/saturday to get my box ready after the stock motor's took a dump on thursday practice....and after realizing the losi pinion's are Pressed on...and i couldn't get the new unpressed one's before sunday i knew i had to get them off and on the Itegy 55's i bought.....so after Much staring and head scratching i realized they WILL COME off weather they like it or not...basically a hour or so later i Pryed the crap outta them and eventually they popped off.....from there i drilled a hole tapped it and used a set screw.....but i honestly would recommend buying a spare set of pinion's for when the stocker's fail you aren't in this situation....i also heard from another local racer...his losi pinions litterally Fell off when he went to remesh the belt to the motor's.....i have since tryed the stock motors again on 100% lipo and they have been taking it in strides the last couple months...i know there gonna fail at some point so i got a couple 27T brushed motor's from a onroad racer he wasn't using...i KNOW those wont fail.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think some guys were putting these in for more torque.....

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=4040

I used one and it seemed to work very well.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Lots of great ideas guys. I think that I will buy a couple of pinions for $3 and ream them out. I didn't want to ruin the existing motors as I will use them for spares. I got the 775 motors for less than $15 shipped, but they came with out the pinions. Amain wanted $30 plus shipping for motors with the pinions on them. I think that for $12 plus shipping I can ream out the holes myself.

I will also have to do some changes on the mounting of the motors, but that should be easy dremil work.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RCengineer
Lots of great ideas guys. I think that I will buy a couple of pinions for $3 and ream them out. I didn't want to ruin the existing motors as I will use them for spares. I got the 775 motors for less than $15 shipped, but they came with out the pinions. Amain wanted $30 plus shipping for motors with the pinions on them. I think that for $12 plus shipping I can ream out the holes myself.

I will also have to do some changes on the mounting of the motors, but that should be easy dremil work.

let us know what you end up with and how it comes out...pics would be nice as well.