engine run in, have i done it right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

engine run in, have i done it right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default engine run in, have i done it right?

Hey guy's ran in my new sirio cl3b engine tonight, well at least i think i have! I read an article that said the best way is the new heat cycling method as my lhs also said. What my lhs said was pretty mucy the same as the article. I did 5, 3-4 minute runs on standard settings, first 3 runs on 1/4 throttle then last 2 on 1/4 & 1/2 throttle letting the engine cool down at bdc after each one. Then I did 2 more runs both 5-6 minutes on 1/2 to full throttle on each one. I bought a temp gun today but i think i was using it wrong as i was actually sticking it into the head and getting some very high temps but varying massively between 200-300!. All in all i did roughly 25mins of run time. This was around 2-3 tanks which doesn't seem enough to me. Does it sound like i have done it right?

I followed the "jhonny cool guy" heat cycle method.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

iunno about off road mills, but with my on road mills i would idle 4-5 tanks through, then i would drive it in a figure 8 for 2 tanks at 1/4 throttle to put some load on it, then i would slowly start to adjust the needles, and continue the figure 8 with 1/2 throttle burps here and there for another 2 tanks, then i would race tune and do ovals at 1/2 throttle with occasional full throttle burp for 1 more tank. that is a long process, but I NEVER had a problem.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

200-220 is fine cause engines run hotter when there new but if it reaches 300 than you have a needle very lean or you have a airleak.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hugh_b
Hey guy's ran in my new sirio cl3b engine tonight, well at least i think i have! I read an article that said the best way is the new heat cycling method as my lhs also said. What my lhs said was pretty mucy the same as the article. I did 5, 3-4 minute runs on standard settings, first 3 runs on 1/4 throttle then last 2 on 1/4 & 1/2 throttle letting the engine cool down at bdc after each one. Then I did 2 more runs both 5-6 minutes on 1/2 to full throttle on each one. I bought a temp gun today but i think i was using it wrong as i was actually sticking it into the head and getting some very high temps but varying massively between 200-300!. All in all i did roughly 25mins of run time. This was around 2-3 tanks which doesn't seem enough to me. Does it sound like i have done it right?

I followed the "jhonny cool guy" heat cycle method.

i think you will do just fine... this method sounds a lot like the rb method
Old 11-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah you will be fine. It will take a gallon or so for it to really loosen up. Try not to hold it WOT for a long period until the metal pinch loosens up a little, that can be tough on the connecting rod. Always tune for a nice trail of smoke from the exhaust as well as a crisp sound and smooth acceleration. Temperatures should be taken at the glowplug. Temp readings should be used for making sure you are not overheating the engine or not reaching the correct operating temperature. You cannot tune an engine properly with temperature readings alone. Reading the glowplug can help also, if it has turned kinda white and looks burnt, your needle settings are lean.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

Should be fine, just remember it will take about 3-4ltrs (1gal) for it to open right up and make max power, or thats what i have heard with almost all sirio's along with the ones i have used

Also its prolly a good idea to change plug after you have finished running in, and keep the old plug as backup. It will be fouled up from running rich and wont work anywhere near as good as a new one.