Wiki Posts
Search

t maxx transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default t maxx transmission trouble

i just got back into off road rc's about a year ago when i was put in a wheelchair from a motocross crash. i owned a 1st gen t maxx which i bought the 2nd year they came out. i started out in electric off road and now getting into nitro. i took the completely stock t maxx and added the 10mm longer chassis from traxxas, rpm a-arms all around, rpm shock towers, 8 inch basher tires on 1/2 inch off set wider rims and a os 21tm with 20 tooth clutch gear and 70 tooth spur. my problem is that i keep tearing out the transmissions(2 to be precise) does anyone know any tricks or upgrades for this truck. ive only ran 4 to 6 tanks through it after break in and cant afford to keep replacing them. im new to rc's but not performance building, i built my own race quads so any ideas appreciated.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Your engine, gearing and tires are identifying the weak link in your drive train and thats the trans (right now). If its the same as a 2.5 trans, next time replace the torn up pieces with metal parts from RRP. I think the 15Pro and the 2.5 used the same trans.

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/catalog.html#

Check under products, under 2.5 and about 1/2 way down in the new window that opens up. Diffs will be next (unless you've already done them...).
Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the info. is the 3.3 trans any stronger than the 2.5? im currently looking into some hybrid bulkheads i can run truggy diffs in.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

As far as I remember from my Tmaxx days...the .21 conversion was not meant to be used with a transmission..I believe you are supposed to use a center differential with a spur gear, I dont think the cheep plastic gears inside the tranny can take the power of the .21
Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb

anybody kno more about the truggy center diff upgrade?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

From what I remember they sold a .21 upgrade kit for the T-maxx which came with everything you needed except the engine and pipe and air filter.. I am sure it came with a center differential that replaced the transmission. It also came with a whole new chassis, so you could bolt all the new parts on correctly...do some searching on-line..just Google T-maxx .21 upgrade kit, and you will see what they come with. good Luck
Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yes they sell the .21 conversion kit but the kit doesnt come with a center diff. back in the day they used to make a truggy chassis for the tmaxx and that had the set up for a center diff. i have the conversion kit on mine and i have a hpi 4.6 before that motor i had a picco p3 .28 fully modded out and never had a problem tearing out gears in the tranny. but i did buy the 2 primary steel gears in th tranny. i just pull wheelies way to much and cant stop it.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

i want to thank all who helped me out. i just purchased a aluminum trans housing stuffed with full robison gears. forward only 2 speed. after i install this and run it for a while, i'll give a update
thanks again
Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

sorry, not robison, its robinson gears