Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Regulator use it or ditch it??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Lipo Regulator use it or ditch it??

Is it safe to use a lipo receiver pack without the regulator?? Pro/cons??
Old 10-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

No it's not safe to use a lipo pack without a regulator. Almost all servos that are popular for off road cars are designed to work on 6 volts. If used with higher voltage, they will overheat and fail.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Unless you're running KO servos.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

KO?? why?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are many resons to use the regulator.

Not many servos can handle the voltage from the 2s lipo.

It is called a regulator. So when your voltage drops on the lipo the regulator will bump up the voltage. If not using regulator your servo action will not be consistent over the time of say a 45 minute main.

This is also to protect the lipo battery voltage from getting to low. I am sure you know you can not drain a lipo like you can a Nmh battery.

It is your car and your battery so do as you wish. You sound reluctant to use a regulator. I only race, so I always like to protect my investment as well as make sure I can race all day after I pay my entry fee.

My 2¢

T.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scwrod
There are many resons to use the regulator.

Not many servos can handle the voltage from the 2s lipo.

It is called a regulator. So when your voltage drops on the lipo the regulator will bump up the voltage. If not using regulator your servo action will not be consistent over the time of say a 45 minute main.
Voltage regulator works to keep voltage to the receiver and servos at no more than 6volts typically, not to bump up the voltage.

This is also to protect the lipo battery voltage from getting to low. I am sure you know you can not drain a lipo like you can a Nmh battery.
Regulator wont protect the lipo pack unless it has a built in cut off to turn off the battery and to my knowledge no regulator does that.

I run lipos in my 1/8 buggy with a regulator and have not had any issues so far(fingers crossed). I charge them Friday night and run them Saturday at club races and repeat that process each week. For a large event I will bring my charger to the track and charge/peak them in between every other round.

KO servos are the only one on the market currently that I know that can handle higher than the recommended 6volts.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+1
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by supralative
Voltage regulator works to keep voltage to the receiver and servos at no more than 6volts typically, not to bump up the voltage.

Regulator wont protect the lipo pack unless it has a built in cut off to turn off the battery and to my knowledge no regulator does that.

I run lipos in my 1/8 buggy with a regulator and have not had any issues so far(fingers crossed). I charge them Friday night and run them Saturday at club races and repeat that process each week. For a large event I will bring my charger to the track and charge/peak them in between every other round.

KO servos are the only one on the market currently that I know that can handle higher than the recommended 6volts.
My regulator turns red to signify that the battery is too low, but if it turns red with 15 minutes to go in the main it is probably too late.. I don't think any of us would want a regulator that shuts off.

ACE servos are well known to handle 7.4v as well BUT not every receiver will accept 7.4v over the long term. KO does.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

^^^+1 ^^^

Only thing is running more than 6v to the receiver if your not running a regulator with the ko servos. Be careful. 2s lipo fully charged is 8+volts.

I run a regulator no problems. Just be aware that a regulator gives off heat to keep the voltage constant. heat is a bad thing when its in the same compartment as the receiver. I have the 8ight and shoe gooed and zip tied it to the top of the receiver box.

works just fine.

all the practice i run and 3 heats and a 1400mah lipo takes 700-850mah to peak out.

you could easily run 1 pack all day.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

By bump up I meant if the lipo voltage drops below 6v it will regulate to 6v. without a regulator and the lipo gets low the servo perfomance will suffer.

and buy protection I just meant that it will let you know when voltage is low(with a light). I never mentioned a cutoff.

We could make this easy and just highly recommend a regulator if running a lipo in RX.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

By bump up I meant if the lipo voltage drops below 6v it will regulate to 6v. without a regulator and the lipo gets low the servo perfomance will suffer.

We could make this easy and just highly recommend a regulator if running a lipo in RX.
A regulator will not bump voltage, but keep it down to 6volt range as a 2s lipo usually puts voltage out higher then 6volts easy. When the lipo goes low there is no way a regulator can bump up voltage. Its not an amplifier by any means. Even a NiMH or NiCD pack that goes below 6volts your servo speed and torque will suffer.

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
My regulator turns red to signify that the battery is too low, but if it turns red with 15 minutes to go in the main it is probably too late.. I don't think any of us would want a regulator that shuts off.
As does my regulator also, but my regulator doesnt shut the power off either.
I was stating that no regulator on the market shuts power off that I know off.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

my bad, I was under the impression it would keep the current constant even if the voltage dropped below 6. I was thinking more on terms of AC not DC. There are no caps on mine so now it makes sense.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The new JR servos, Z9100HVS and the Z9100HVT can run without a regulator also. If your RX can handle over 7.4v (which all the Spektrum RX's can), combined with these = no regulator. I know a few guys were running them at the Worlds and they worked awesome.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

my bad, I was under the impression it would keep the current constant even if the voltage dropped below 6. I was thinking more on terms of AC not DC. There are no caps on mine so now it makes sense.
all good mang
better to learn something everyday than to not learn a thing at all
alot of good info can be found and alot of bad info can be found too
i like lipo just because they tend to last abit longer at 6volts with a regulator as compared to a NiMH or NiCD pack being they are above 6volts for a period of time before reaching the regulator plus they have no memory supposedly

there are a few guys running lipos with no regulators locally but only time will tell if they are not as damaging as they think
i am pretty sure in the future alot of servos and receivers will be able to handle higher volts consistently above 6volts
Old 10-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Lars Johnson
The new JR servos, Z9100HVS and the Z9100HVT can run without a regulator also. If your RX can handle over 7.4v (which all the Spektrum RX's can), combined with these = no regulator. I know a few guys were running them at the Worlds and they worked awesome.
I was just going to mention the JR servos. They are stupid strong, and fast...I know of a local that has a set, and they are ALL THAT IMO...

Can't wait for them to come back into stock. I forsee me trying them soon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.