Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
xtm chassis(tmaxx .21 conversion) >

xtm chassis(tmaxx .21 conversion)

xtm chassis(tmaxx .21 conversion)

Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default xtm chassis(tmaxx .21 conversion)

so i just scored a xtm .21 chassis conversion for the tmaxx,for 20$ i couldnt go wrong...anyway im having trouble finding a motor mount,i plan on dropping in my .26 from my ofna dm one and the motor mounts definitly dont match up with the chassis.....if anyone knows what i should do please help me...heh pathetic i know,but this is the only thing holding me back from the big build.
i scored the center cv by mistake...i bought these dynamite center cv..and i went to put em on my tmaxx 3.3 and wooops they dont fit...so i read the pakage and it says for the.21 conversion and wouldnt you know it blam i just got that chassis and chassis braces so i figured im good..got all kinds of extra rpm parts stock part ect. im all excited thinking imma have a bb beast to show off tomorrow but no engine mounts...and what spur gear should i run..or what spur/clutch.....ok i babble and this is my first post ha!
help
Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Only big block motor mounts for a Tmaxx or Tmaxx conversion are sold by New Era Models. Some have not had real good service from them so be aware - seems they don't like to take stuff back.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Do yourself a favor do not install the big block conversion unless you have some upgraded diffs the old 2.5 tmaxx diffs were the weakest I've ever seen. I put the Dynamite conversion with the mach 26 on my old maxx a few years ago. I destroyed stock diffs with nearly every touch of the throttle. I finally sold it for nearly nothing because every time I started it I broke something.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drebies_one
so i just scored a xtm .21 chassis conversion for the tmaxx,for 20$ i couldnt go wrong...anyway im having trouble finding a motor mount,i plan on dropping in my .26 from my ofna dm one and the motor mounts definitly dont match up with the chassis.....if anyone knows what i should do please help me...heh pathetic i know,but this is the only thing holding me back from the big build.
i scored the center cv by mistake...i bought these dynamite center cv..and i went to put em on my tmaxx 3.3 and wooops they dont fit...so i read the pakage and it says for the.21 conversion and wouldnt you know it blam i just got that chassis and chassis braces so i figured im good..got all kinds of extra rpm parts stock part ect. im all excited thinking imma have a bb beast to show off tomorrow but no engine mounts...and what spur gear should i run..or what spur/clutch.....ok i babble and this is my first post ha!
help
Well I have the same conversion and have yet to destroy my diffs and transmission like some may say. If you read the traxxas forums the bb conversion is not recommended due to the cost involved. The mounts look like those for a .21 engine from XTM. Some people run the old 2.5 transmission. I'm running the Tmaxx 3.3 transmission with the forward only conversion. I'm also using the stock brakes and plastic drive shafts. The spurs I'm using are for the Revo. Then can use most 1/8th scale clutchbells. If you are using the old 2.5 transmission then you can use the Monster MGT spurs. Loosen up the slipper a little bit and take her out for a spin. I started out with an old .15 tmaxx which I converted over. Its been done through a process of a few years. I also run a .21 engine vs a .28. I wouldn't dare installing my picco .28 in the Tmaxx. I've seen Tmaxx and Revo trucks destroyed when using the bigger motors. Hopefully I will be shipping the Tmaxx over to my friend Stiffler in Texas so that she can see some track time. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Maybe the 21 would be much more tame but I just had a terrible time with mine. I would even break the pin in the gears inside the tranny (2.5 tranny) I even tried robinson racing gears with aluminum cups and cases. It cost me 20 dollars everytime I cranked it. It was very fast though. I warned the guy I sold it to and he called me and told me it was the worst decision he had made. I think the new 3.3 diffs are the same as the revo if so they would probably hold up alot better. I have broke them but not like I did the old 2.5 ones. I broke a few 2.5 tmaxx diffs with the stock 2.5 engine.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by x195svt
Maybe the 21 would be much more tame but I just had a terrible time with mine. I would even break the pin in the gears inside the tranny (2.5 tranny) I even tried robinson racing gears with aluminum cups and cases. It cost me 20 dollars everytime I cranked it. It was very fast though. I warned the guy I sold it to and he called me and told me it was the worst decision he had made. I think the new 3.3 diffs are the same as the revo if so they would probably hold up alot better. I have broke them but not like I did the old 2.5 ones. I broke a few 2.5 tmaxx diffs with the stock 2.5 engine.
I've heard of some people having lots of trouble with the big block conversion but I've also had people tell me that it is awesome. My friend currently runs a big block Picco .27 on his Tmaxx. He has the original 2.5 diffs and is using the 2.5 transmission with all Robinson metal gears. He is a basher and loves to beat the heck out of that truck and it holds up well. My 3.3 transmission has the plastic gears and I use the tmaxx 3.3 diffs. I remember one time I tried shimming the diffs on this truck. So I took it to Pegasus hobbies in Montclair. I asked the guy who repairs the cars and he said: "why do you want to shim the tmaxx diffs? you dont need to do that to any of those trucks." So from experience. The big block conversion will cost some bucks. Unless you pick up the diffs, transmission, outdrives, CVD's and all that good stuff from Ebay.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the Dynomite Conversion for the maxx. I have had absolutly no problems with mine. I got the New era arm, shock towers and a bunch of other stuff. The tranny is stock with a forward only in it and the diffs are stock as well. Now the power plant is a whole nother story. I have a Picco P-3 .28 that i sent off to Powerhouse Performance and had him do his most outragous porting job ever. there is a turboed crank and an insanely ported sleeve and crank as well. So for i havent had any troubles at all with keeping it running. it will spin the tires all day on any surface. thats my biggest problem is putting most of the power to the ground. but im working on it and i have a couple solutions in mind.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Apparantly not all people have problems with the big block conversion like I thought. Everyone I know that has done the big block conversion around here has had the same problems that I did. I know two of them put the unlimited engineering 1/8th scale diff conversion in them.

I know the 3.3 stuff is much better than the older stuff so maybe you'll have better luck than I had. I know the truck was a blast when it ran. Good luck with your conversion.