Wiki Posts
Search

lipo rx pack versus nimh rx pack

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default lipo rx pack versus nimh rx pack

Sorry to say i jacked a thread to discuss this debate ....so what do you think ...would you rather run a lipo or a nimh in your nitro rx box ....

I will cast the first vote for lipo all the way ...pros much outway the cons ....

1.lipos can be charged the week before a race and will maintain there voltage

2. lipos will run a constant consistant current of 6.5 volts for the life of the charge

3. lipos will easliy outlast nimh if taken care of ....they will last a lifetime ....nimh wont ...

4.about the same price as the high zoot nimh were before lipos came along

5.breaks throttle and steering holding power is more consistant over the course of heat races and mains .....

cons

1.they catch on fire if your stupid and dont know how to read instructions

2. you have to buy a 30 dollar regulator ....for now until all servos are rated to handle them ....which wont be very long .....

3. you have one more connection in the chain

4. you may have to have a lipo specific charger if you still live in the stone age and dont allready have one
Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zixxer
Sorry to say i jacked a thread to discuss this debate ....so what do you think ...would you rather run a lipo or a nimh in your nitro rx box ....

I will cast the first vote for lipo all the way ...pros much outway the cons ....

1.lipos can be charged the week before a race and will maintain there voltage

2. lipos will run a constant consistant current of 6.5 volts for the life of the charge

3. lipos will easliy outlast nimh if taken care of ....they will last a lifetime ....nimh wont ...

4.about the same price as the high zoot nimh were before lipos came along

5.breaks throttle and steering holding power is more consistant over the course of heat races and mains .....

cons

1.they catch on fire if your stupid and dont know how to read instructions

2. you have to buy a 30 dollar regulator ....for now until all servos are rated to handle them ....which wont be very long .....

3. you have one more connection in the chain

4. you may have to have a lipo specific charger if you still live in the stone age and dont allready have one
I prefer nimh because when something works for you I say just stick with it. Lipo has a bit to go before the masses trust them.

I'll make a few points to your pro and cons:

1.)Why is it such a "pro" to be able to charge a week before your race? I also top all my packs up days before my race as part of my routine. I'll usually then just practice a few times. It's nothing to hook a charger to a pack at your race and sit back.

2.)This point may be a valid pne in electric racing. But in our rx pack I have never noticed a "drop" in performance in 30, 45 or hour long mains with a good 1600 pack. The nimh do in fact drop off but I have never noticed it with my rx packs.

3.)A lipo battery is a bit more fragile to heat, beating and banging, etc than a nimh. Even so I would never use a battery season after season. Think about what could happen.

4)Lipo's are generally twice the cost of a similiar nimh. At this time you have to add regs, a charger which will charge a lipo. Some racers during these times simply can not afford these cost.

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=6095

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=5793

5.) again, I have never noticed this with my racing.

__________________________________________________ _____________

For now nimh just work without issue for me. I see no reason to switch. It is simple and straight forward to use them. At some larger races your are required to use a lipo charge bag because they can explode instead of venting. I have had this happen next to me before. yes people can read instructions but not all do. I just would rather stick to what works and is simple for me.

I am not against lipo at all though. I personally will just wait.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

thanks for the input AB ...its good input from some one who has actually been there done that and got a hat to prove it ....i mean you have raced and suceeded in the highest level in 8th scale there is ......the worlds 8th scale chapionship

how often do you you charge you packs at the race track during a day that would include 3 heats and a long 30-45 minute main .....im usually finding my self charing after the second heat race and then before the main ...im running a 1600mah 2s lipo .....let us know your routine ....thanks again buddy
Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used lipo some mouths back, and my regulator went bad an there went the battery. With the way technology is moving today, we will be forced to run lipo, look at the new hitec servos 7.4v. And not to be out done everyone will be sure to follow, I just hope in the process they get it right an not just throw something out there.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

heres what im looking forward to when they come down a bit in price ....this is what its all about right here ....ko propo also makes one ......

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Tec...D=JRPSZ9100HVT
Old 11-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i am sticking with nimh.. they have never failed me so there is no need to change
Old 11-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Well...I know where Zixxer comes in on the subject.

I'm still running NiMh packs for now. They work, I charge them the night or two before the race on a peak charger and have no runtime issues. On race day I can practice and run a full main without fear.

However, the LiPo does have its place considering their ability to be charged innumerable times. NiMh DO have a fairly short lifespan, even compared to Nicads; though Nicads suffer from lack of Mah. I've had some 600mah Nicads that lasted 6 (yes, SIX) years with proper cycling back when running 1/10th truck and they did NOT suffer any performance loss until right at the end of their life.

I think a lot of issues surrounding the Lipo's boil down to them requiring CARE and MAINTENANCE...two things that many hobbyist (and even "racers") often overlook the importance of. They can't be left plugged in, banged around, or left on the charger for excessive time periods. Basically they're not idiot proof, so in today's world that means businesses/sellers of them try to educate the buyer and print manuals/tips/instructions that many won't read and some wacko customer will likely try and blame the mfg. for an inferior or dangerous product....but I digress.

I do think that the use of Lipo's will grow stronger considering they are smaller, lighter and more consistent performers than the NiMh they may replace. Racing inherently wants parts/pieces that are stronger/lighter/better performing and that can be packaged in a smaller space, I see this as a distinct advantage for the Lipo's.