Looking for a new buggy, which one???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a new buggy, which one???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for a new buggy, which one???

I am going to get a new buggy soon, I like the ready to runs because I can just open the box and race, but my questions are which one should I go with being which is the most upgradeable, most durable and has the best motor and parts? Any help would be great, I do want one that I can eventually change parts on and competiviley race with it. Thank you all for your help.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Wait till the 8ight 2.0 comes out with a rtr
Old 11-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If you want it right now, The Hyper 7 TQ Black is the best RTR out there now IMO. They all need a better steering servo though but the Hyper will be race ready, comes with great engine, shocks, and tires, all for Under $300, it is fully upgradeable to Race version, but you wont need to do it for awhile until you get good racing. It is low profile, handles, and jumps great, Parts are cheep, plentiful, and easy to swap out. Can't go wrong with this Buggy in any way
Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Get a D8.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Initiate

i agree. go with the d8. its one of the easiest kits to put together, plus it is the best buggy on the track right now!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by thormx15
i agree. go with the d8. its one of the easiest kits to put together, plus it is the best buggy on the track right now!
Your right. I just finished my first season of club racing and I am going fly out to Cali and Challenge Drake with that buggy!
Old 11-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Lord

He did say RTR guys
Old 11-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Initiate

if he will sooner or later tear it down and make it into a contender, then its easier and cheaper to go kit
Old 11-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Lord

I would never recommend a Kit to someone new to Nitro, or new to the Hobby.
Here are my reasons why, and you can all disagree with me if you'd like, but I am speaking from experience, because 7 years ago when I was new to nitro, I remember all the things that went wrong.

First a RTR is less than half the price of a kit, once you add in all the stuff you need to buy.

If you cant tune an engine, you will most likely destroy it within 2-4 gallons so you are better off with the cheep crappy engines that come with RTR's.

If you have no clue about set up, (shocks, diffs, ride height, etc) your kit will probably not run any better than the cheepest RTR out there.

Newbies crash alot! It is better to replace the $5 piece of plastic, than the $20 piece of alloy, or the $30 piece of graphite

Until you learn how to drive it, and set-it up, you can race a dirtbox with wheels, and you will crash, and finish last anyway.

People need to see fist hand how much work and money this hobby takes before they decide if they even like it. This hobby is 50% wrenching, 30% money, and 20% fun, and some people might not realize that until they buy a car and see what it needs to upkeep.

Lastly, Once you get hooked, you can turn any RTR into the same racing Kit, and keep the parts you swapped out for spares, and a good practice engine, for about $200 more than if you bought the kit to begin with, plus you will have spare servo's and a spare radio just in case of emergency

I destroyed 3 RTR's before I had a clue what I was doing, as I got no help at all from my LHS, and didn't know about RC forums, Once I learned what I was doing, and ONLY once I started racing did I invest the $1500 into a high end buggy, and that was not until I learned a whole lot more.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

RTR I have to say the Picco buggy, it speakes for itself and is 10 times better than the Hyper 7. And it has SSB shocks , a Picco mill and its he same price as the hyper in my eyes its a no brainer. But My next season reacer will be the D8 no questions asked as I prefer kits.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i would make a visit to the track that you plan to race at and take a look around.. it would be a good idea to get a buggy that they carry parts for... also take a look around and see what the fast guys are running.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malik
RTR I have to say the Picco buggy, it speakes for itself and is 10 times better than the Hyper 7. And it has SSB shocks , a Picco mill and its he same price as the hyper in my eyes its a no brainer. But My next season reacer will be the D8 no questions asked as I prefer kits.
dude!!! the only good thing about the picco buggy "aka The COW" is the BB shocks and the engine... besides that the hyper7 buggy is a better platform all the way, and if you get the Hyper7 TQ Pro ARR is even better, as it comes with a good engine, all carbon fiber plates, top of the line shock towers..
Hyper7 on Special: $269.99

this Hyper7 is already setup to race...
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Picco Low Price: $309.99

it comes with junk electronics, junk shock towers and plates
Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I saw one of the Hyper 7 RTR kits at my local track and, for an RTR, it was getting around quite well. As Jaz240 stated, it is probably the best overall package for someone just starting out for all the reasons he mentioned. I don't see much of an upgrade path but by the time you get good you will most likely be looking at one of the top level kits anyway. If you never get to that stage or decide this isn't for you, you will have spent a pittance and what could otherwise be a very expensive (but fun) lesson.

Revo61 recommended the D8 and I will too once you get to the point where a pro kit is what you want (but that is a different conversation entirely).
Old 11-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Take a look at the Caster Racing ZX1-R RTR. I think its a better buggy than the other 2. Thicker CNC shock towers and servo tray, Servos are decent for a RTR and all the adjustablity of the KIT version. Also it is built of a CURRENT racing platform, not a older design hanging on. You can find one for about $365 for a limited time right now.

Last edited by vnmsgt; 11-02-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Here are some pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.