R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   GRP BREAK IN HELP NEEDED!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/250930-grp-break-help-needed.html)

robbdny 10-31-2008 10:55 AM

GRP BREAK IN HELP NEEDED!!

Guys
I just picked up a GRP Silver Top for my Losi 8. I read through the manual and GRP recommends the idle method. I have been reading on line that this method is old skool.

I would really appresheate some feedback from you guys that have been running the GRPs' and know the best way to break them in.

I am presently just ideling through my 1st tank now but hope to hear from someone when I am doing my 1st cool down

Thanks
Robb

PS I am a newbee and want to make sure I do it right.

cjm1126 10-31-2008 11:00 AM

adam drake had his method for break in on the adam drake talks about losi 8ight 2.0 thread, he does 4 tanks idling on the box, i did mine that way and it is holding up real well, i am at 5 gallons on the tuned version

Bigedmond 10-31-2008 11:03 AM

Ideal Method....

I am on gallon 6 on my grp .21, lots of pinch, lots of power. Stick with what works

robbdny 10-31-2008 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bigedmond (Post 5000285)
Ideal Method....

I am on gallon 6 on my grp .21, lots of pinch, lots of power. Stick with what works

Sounds good if I idle through all of the tanks is racing a bad idea tonight?

cjm1126 10-31-2008 11:31 AM

keep it a little fat on the high end and you will be allright

Bigedmond 10-31-2008 12:43 PM

I cant say 100% for sure with the non-tuned GRP. But with the tuned GRP, if i go over 190 degrees, it doesnt make as much power. This is after the first gallon. During the first gallon, it was normally 210ish

if you idle 3 or 4 tanks, then for the next 2 tanks just run it rich, doing circles and figure 8's keeping it around 200 you could probably race it. Once you have ran a few tanks on the ground, go out on the track, and pick up the pace. Dont just PUNCH it, and you should be able to get to full throttle.

After the first gallon, the temp will drop like crazy. mince went for 210, to 160. i took an hour off the top and 1 off the bottom and i run 179 after 25 minutes. Still had plenty of power.

r1harper 10-31-2008 01:24 PM

i agree if it works keep doin it.

robbdny 11-01-2008 11:29 AM

Its a tight pinch

I was wondering the technique that everyone uses to spin the fly wheel past TDC or the tight pinch. I have been prying the flywheel against the chassis with a screwdriver, but there seems there must be a better way, is there?

Thanks
Robb

Originally Posted by Bigedmond (Post 5000579)
I cant say 100% for sure with the non-tuned GRP. But with the tuned GRP, if i go over 190 degrees, it doesnt make as much power. This is after the first gallon. During the first gallon, it was normally 210ish

if you idle 3 or 4 tanks, then for the next 2 tanks just run it rich, doing circles and figure 8's keeping it around 200 you could probably race it. Once you have ran a few tanks on the ground, go out on the track, and pick up the pace. Dont just PUNCH it, and you should be able to get to full throttle.

After the first gallon, the temp will drop like crazy. mince went for 210, to 160. i took an hour off the top and 1 off the bottom and i run 179 after 25 minutes. Still had plenty of power.

jamminnay 11-01-2008 11:47 AM

the screwdriver is the only way i know how to do it..

tony montana 11-01-2008 03:52 PM

I got a used orange head grp. Not sure how much fuel is threw it but today I ran it and it made decent power. But after a fuel stop it flames out. Mine I think was running 210, 215 I think It is a little low on compression maybe that is the problem. I would love to know what the factory settings are. Anyone?