Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Werks .21 B3 running clod but making power? >

Werks .21 B3 running clod but making power?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Werks .21 B3 running clod but making power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Werks .21 B3 running clod but making power?

I took my buggy out to take another stab at tuning the B3, I changed the plug from MC-8 to ODO100 its the only plug I have here to try till order comes. Fuel is ODO 30%, JP-4 pipe, 14t bell, DYN maxlife clutch shoes, 1.0 springs weather is in the 80-90deg dry not humid. Started super rich, got it to run, tuned to make power, ran a couple tanks and came in at around 185 evry time. No bogging, I let it idle for a while and punch it, no bog like its loaded up, bottom to top runs great. I tried to lean it to get hotter and it does not seem to like it, so been running it as it, this moarning ran again, did not have to tune, at times it came in at 175, anyone know why it is running like this?
I have a nova carb and TKO front bearing comeing.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Might be your temp gun reading low? They can range widely. Also, how's the mileage? If it's running well, who cares what the temperaure is?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

Are you putting the temp gun right on top of the cooling head?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have 3 different temp guns and they all read a different temperature. If you have smoke coming out all the way through the throttle range you should be safe. Good power with good smoke is your best indicator of a good tune. For the low range, you can make a few high speed passes to clear out the engine and, after bringing it to a stop, pinch the fuel line about an inch away from the carb. You should get around 4 to 5 seconds until the engine wants to die. If it takes longer, the low end is too rich. If it takes less, the low end is too lean.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Tech Rookie

the mileage is great, I have had tempguns read very different from eachother, my old one seemed to be way off so I used my new one. I will do the pinch test today, also I did notice when trying to lean it out it the rpm would spike in the air comeing off a jump and made it hard to control and also when letting off the gas after a long straight it would not idle down corectly. When going a little richer, where I currently have it this would stop happening.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Tech Rookie

I have some nova med plugs comeing so I will try different plugs to see what happenes. It will be hitting the rain season soon over here and will get humid, do I run a hotter plug for humid weather and where is there a good plug chart to follow. all this feedback has helped alot thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lst2inIraq
the mileage is great, I have had tempguns read very different from eachother, my old one seemed to be way off so I used my new one. I will do the pinch test today, also I did notice when trying to lean it out it the rpm would spike in the air comeing off a jump and made it hard to control and also when letting off the gas after a long straight it would not idle down corectly. When going a little richer, where I currently have it this would stop happening.
The rpm spike sounds like your bottom end is too rich.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

+1 on the rpm spike. As for a glow plug charts, these are pretty good:

http://www.outlawrc.com/glowplugs.htm
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...-plugchart.asp