Wiki Posts
Search

car is idoling at full speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default car is idoling at full speed

set my end point adjustment like the instructions said (but i think the carb was all the way open when i did it). i opened the idol screw about 1mm (which was a couple turns around). Closed the main needle all the way and opened it one and one eighth turn. When i crank it up it idols at full speed! Help please. What am i doing wrong???

i can't see how it would matter about my end point adjustment, since the needle is what controls the gas flow.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
set my end point adjustment like the instructions said (but i think the carb was all the way open when i did it). i opened the idol screw about 1mm (which was a couple turns around). Closed the main needle all the way and opened it one and one eighth turn. When i crank it up it idols at full speed! Help please. What am i doing wrong???

i can't see how it would matter about my end point adjustment, since the needle is what controls the gas flow.
with eng. off turn on your radio then the receiver, pull the filter so you can see in the carb and see how far the carb is open. if the servo horn is set right loosen the round pull nut and push the carb linkage so that carb only opens to 1mm at idle.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the main needle at one and one eighth turn??

where did you read this?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

yes main needle at one and one eigth turn. How much should i screw the idol needle out??? and i guess what the other guy was saying was set the carb at idol ant the servo on neutral and put the horn back on???
Old 04-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
yes main needle at one and one eigth turn. How much should i screw the idol needle out??? and i guess what the other guy was saying was set the carb at idol ant the servo on neutral and put the horn back on???
what I'm saying is to check to see if the carb is being pulled open when the radio/receiver is on
Old 04-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluer322
what I'm saying is to check to see if the carb is being pulled open when the radio/receiver is on
+1, you need to set the throtle linkage with the electronics on . once you get that squared away you can start on the needle settings.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

What engine/car/radio ?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

mbx6, m11 radio and ofna .26 engine (getting a ninja in a couple weeks) linkage is fine i am looking at it. with the servo in neutral the brakes are in perfect position and the carb is only open very very slighty less then a eight of a inch. Still it is running at FULL SPEED!!!! damn engine was smoking last time i tryied to tune it down

something is seriously wrong.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

If you were 1/8th of a turn out from closed on the high speed (main) needle then your motor is done.
I had an Ofna motor and did the same thing.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

i don't understand. that is the air intake right?? I don't know what you mean by one eight a turn?? i had the carb open (with the throtle closed) about less then a one eigth gap. So i burned it up???? man screw this. I am selling and getting electric
Old 04-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

main needle = high speed needle
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

HOLD UP, before you sell and go electric. you can't adjust the amount of air the engine takes in with the carb needles. you adjust the fuel ratio with the needles. if the engine got realy hot you were to lean( not enough fuel). Try this before you call it quits. turn the main needle( the big one that sticks up) all the way in gently, then back it out 2-1/2 turns. see how the engine reacts when you do this. And if your engine still has good pinch, Its not smoked. pm me if you haven't given up and make + progress.