R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   ACE DS1313 w/ 3s lipo (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/248164-ace-ds1313-w-3s-lipo.html)

teeforb 10-17-2008 04:28 PM

ACE DS1313 w/ 3s lipo

Hi,

have anyone ever used an ACE DS1313 directly with lipo without a regulator? If you have, how is the performance?

Thx!!!

K_B 10-17-2008 05:00 PM

What's the reason for using a 3S lipo? That's 11.1V. I assume you mean a 2S? Even the fancy new JR high voltage servos aren't rated for that.

On the box for mine, it only gives specs for 4.8 and 6.0V. I can only assume that they're maximum voltage is 6.0V. I've run other 6V-rated servos at around 6.5V in my crawlers to eek out a bit more torque, but I wouldn't recommend it. The servos generate more heat and therefore, the electronics will not live as long. At a full 11.1V, I would think the servo would probably last about as long as it takes to flip the switch :)

Something else I just thought of. Many receivers are only rated to anywhere around 6V-8.4V (2S). The Spektrum receivers I know can handle a 2S but certainly not a 3S lipo.

Darth Smoke 10-17-2008 05:30 PM

Ive used the 1313 servo with just a NiMH and it blew out(after just 2hrs).....so since there rated at 6v Id say with a LiPO they wont last much longer. I went with ACE try something that might be good, only to pull the 1313 and the 1015(which still works) out and go with HiTech...so far with the same amount of time...I'm far more impressed with them than I was with ACE.....sad but Id suggest not going with them IMO. Go with anything else...futuba, Airtronics, HiTech...anything. Ive also heard that ACE has the worst customer service....so be aware of this problems first hand.

teeforb 10-17-2008 06:02 PM

sorry, 2s!!! my bad

dzstr 10-17-2008 06:20 PM

I've had excellent customer service from Ace. Working on the same set of 1313's in my 1/8 for almost 1.5 years. Just bought two more for my MBX6!

I'm running them with a regulator for LiPo. It's cheap insurance to keep the majic smoke inside the servos and receiver :nod:

jabroni racing 10-18-2008 03:42 AM

I thought the ds 1313 was associated ?? Does ace have the same exact servo #?? If ace and associated are the same company, then i cant see there being any customer service issue, as AE serivece rocks..I did a lot of research before getting a new servo, and all the feedback i got on the ds1313 was terrific.

dethklok151 10-18-2008 07:54 AM

as much as i was hoping to like ace servos,my feelings are mixed.my 1313 blew because of a sticking carb,poor little servo killed itself trying too hard.my 1015 just died from a real hard daytone rub on a brick wall,servo saver must be sticking or too tight...whatever,its dead.it was a hard hit so im not really surprised.both servos performance was great however.i also have heard great things about them,but heard also lousy customer service.

as for the voltage,from what i understand is that lipos tend to have voltage spikes for whatever reason.imo a servo MAY have fair life 7.2 volts from nimh,but the spikes from a lipo might be too much for the electronics inside?dunno.just another angle to look at it from.

air8 10-18-2008 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jabroni racing (Post 4951890)
I thought the ds 1313 was associated ?? Does ace have the same exact servo #??

I've been running the ACE servos for a year and a half. Associated put their stickers and case on them when the RC8 was being released. So yes, they are the same servo. It would be interesting to find out if AE would service the ACE servos. I mean, they are all under the Thunder Tiger name right? So why not?