Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

AKA tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jpalessi
OMG I can't wait! They are going to be awesome!

Ryan are the wheels any different from a standard LPR size wheel? Just asking cause I don't want to stock up on the JC Half ups I normally run if they won't work..
They are basically the same as the other standard LPR size wheels yes. I haven't tried to mount them on a set yet of course but I am sure they will fit. We don't want to make a product that can't work with other items already available to the public.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

Default Keep this in Mind

Here is some information that is helpful for those going to AKA tires and foams from other brands.

If when you run the AKA tires they feel a little bit loose there are a few things to try. Sense the foam is much stiffer it supports the sidewall much better thus the tire isn't collapsing in the corners thus enabling more cornerspeed. This requires a slight driving style change but it is easy to do and will yield quicker times due to quicker corner speed.

Other things you can do is go down in swaybar thickness 1 incrament. Possibly go down in shock oil 50wt and at the extreme even go down in spring rates one incrament. All this is possible due to the sidewall being supported by this revolutionary foam!
So if you find yourself feeling a little loose try a couple of the suggestions above and I guarantee you you'll like these Kicks!!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Thanks man! Can't wait to get my hands on a set.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ryan -

On my truggy I usually run bowfighters...which would be most similar?

Crossbrace front and I beam rear - or - Cityblock front and I beam rear?

Crimes and Bowties both work at my track..it's hard packed with a lot of loam...Others run Nubz, Boa's and sometimes if it isn't too dusty Switch 2.0 will work. What would you reccomend for the best all around truggy tire?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! It's great getting tips from a pro!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HiVoltg12
Ryan -

On my truggy I usually run bowfighters...which would be most similar?

Crossbrace front and I beam rear - or - Cityblock front and I beam rear?

Crimes and Bowties both work at my track..it's hard packed with a lot of loam...Others run Nubz, Boa's and sometimes if it isn't too dusty Switch 2.0 will work. What would you reccomend for the best all around truggy tire?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! It's great getting tips from a pro!
Yes you are correct. Either combination will be similar to the 'bowfighter' set-up.
I find the Cityblocks to be just a little more side bite agressive than the Crossbrace. Crossbrace will have a little more forward pull to them. I would try them both. Different tracks will give different feel but either one should yield the results your looking for from the AKA line. (Note* - we may not be making Crossbraces in the Truggy tire. At the moment we don't see the need for 3 different 'tall' treadpattern truggy tires, time will tell. First available will be Cityblocks and Ibeams)

For the Best all around truggy tire I would get the Cityblocks when they become available. They seem to work Everywhere and they absolutely look AMAZING!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Most of the guys at my local track, that were running crimeties or bowfighters whatever you wanna call them.. are now running citybeams...City Blocks up front IBeams in the back..
Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Ohh...have I mentioned yet that I have at least 7 hours of runtime on my first set of truggy foams!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KRCRacer22
Ohh...have I mentioned yet that I have at least 7 hours of runtime on my first set of truggy foams!!!
I don't think those foams do go bad..
I know you don't wanna hear this but the AKA truggy foams in a set of LPR Holeshots would be off the hook.. lol
Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I know you don't wanna hear this but the AKA truggy foams in a set of LPR Holeshots would be off the hook.. lol
They'd work better in a set of Grid Irons! HA.

I ran at RJD raceway two weeks ago, city blocks were hooked up on the blue groove surface! I believe 6 out of 10 in the Expert buggy main had AKA tires on!

Brad
Old 10-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

AKA truggy foams in a set of LPR Gridirons would be UNBEATABLE!! :-D
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B4.Brad
They'd work better in a set of Grid Irons! HA.

I ran at RJD raceway two weeks ago, city blocks were hooked up on the blue groove surface! I believe 6 out of 10 in the Expert buggy main had AKA tires on!

Brad
I have not had the chance to see the grid irons in person yet... how are the pins compared to a holeshot?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I generally run two holes in the tire. Just a standard holepunch size. They don't need to be big and you really only need one hole. They are closed cell foams and thus don't really need to 'breath' like Open cell.
thanks for all your advice Ryan!!! since the foams dont' need to 'breathe', are holes in the rims necessary? i just want to clarify so i can get away with the least amount of holes necessary, i should have asked earlier. i run the outdoor tracks here in sunny ca, no indoor.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

They are similar in height and a similar concept. However as we know this is the AKA thread that were in we also know that the Gridirons are just that little bit better! ;-) haha
Old 10-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by stipres
thanks for all your advice Ryan!!! since the foams dont' need to 'breathe', are holes in the rims necessary? i just want to clarify so i can get away with the least amount of holes necessary, i should have asked earlier. i run the outdoor tracks here in sunny ca, no indoor.
You do need one hole for any air that is in the foam or in the tire when you mount it. I would just put one hole in the tire though if your running the outdoor tracks.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

They are similar in height and a similar concept. However as we know this is the AKA thread that were in we also know that the Gridirons are just that little bit better! ;-) haha
easy guy.. im sure you ran your share of holeshots in your day. lol I was just asking how they compare, as im sure the aka gridirons are great comparison for that style tire..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.