Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

AKA tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

how long it everyone getting out of a general set of AKA pre mounts?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Tire life depends on alot of factors. Compound, Surface Type, Driver, Throttle In-put etc. Some tracks I can burn up a brand new set of Soft city blocks in 30 mins, other track I can run super softs and get 3 race days out of them.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Default Anyone having issues lately with glue ?

I just got 2 new sets of buggy tires and New rims... Glue them up like I normally do..

Once dried, I check them and the GLue came right off...

It can't be the glue because I glue up 1/10th scale tires every WEEK with them.

I just glued up another pair of Rebars and they are fine.

I usually never clean the rim or tires before gluing... Is there something going on with this latest batch of AKA buggy tires?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheTrackRacer
I just got 2 new sets of buggy tires and New rims... Glue them up like I normally do..

Once dried, I check them and the GLue came right off...

It can't be the glue because I glue up 1/10th scale tires every WEEK with them.

I just glued up another pair of Rebars and they are fine.

I usually never clean the rim or tires before gluing... Is there something going on with this latest batch of AKA buggy tires?
You need to clean the bead before gluing . There is mold release on the tired and it will not hold, the mold release is doing its job . Clean the bead with motor spray and then glue
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by losi_racer
You need to clean the bead before gluing . There is mold release on the tired and it will not hold, the mold release is doing its job . Clean the bead with motor spray and then glue
Thanks.

Can I use Simple green and water to clean them all?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thanks.

I've never used it so I can comment on that sorry .
Old 03-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default Simple Green

Thanks.

Yes, after I prep my tires with bead sanding and hole punching I use simple green 50/50 and a brush to clean tires. The issue is that you have to let them dry over night because if you wipe them dry you will get lint on the tire and bead. If you are in a hurry use rubbing alcohol on the bead or use motor spray. Make sure you use good CA glue (like AKA) and make sure it is fresh or refrigerated.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I'm sure the accolades concerning AKA customer service have been brought up many times in this thread, but I have to add my 2 cents.

About 2 days before PNB, my AKA order had not shown up. I wrote Greg to find out where it was and not only did he find out the cause but he had two solutions to guarantee I'd have tires for the big race.

Now, I'm just a sportsman driver that goes out to have fun. But Greg and Co treat everyone like pros. That's awesome...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm glad I selected the right brand tires to trust! Well done AKA!

I've experience a brand who put more effort towards those well known racers and totally ignore does weekend racers especially if you are not located in US itself.

Originally Posted by 305M3
I'm sure the accolades concerning AKA customer service have been brought up many times in this thread, but I have to add my 2 cents.

About 2 days before PNB, my AKA order had not shown up. I wrote Greg to find out where it was and not only did he find out the cause but he had two solutions to guarantee I'd have tires for the big race.

Now, I'm just a sportsman driver that goes out to have fun. But Greg and Co treat everyone like pros. That's awesome...
Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Just wondering which AKA tire is closest to a Proline revoler 2.0? I'd think something like an Enduro or Impact?

Whats the difference between Impacts and Enduro's?

This is for 1/8e Buggy btw.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by brainiac
Hey guys,

Just wondering which AKA tire is closest to a Proline revoler 2.0? I'd think something like an Enduro or Impact?

Whats the difference between Impacts and Enduro's?

This is for 1/8e Buggy btw.
impact for me is a direct replacement to the revolver better in some instances to be fair
Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Burney
impact for me is a direct replacement to the revolver better in some instances to be fair
Ok thats what I pretty much figured.

Where would enduros have an advantage over Impacts? According to the AKA chart they are basically the same...
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Ok thats what I pretty much figured.

Where would enduros have an advantage over Impacts? According to the AKA chart they are basically the same...
If the track is hardpacked with some loose top layer, I almost alway go with gridirons. Gridirons are fast (both on the track and at wearing out). When conditions are right, gridirons keep your car planted with just enough give for cornering.

I go to enduros if the track gets bumpier and more blown out. Also if you have a long main (they will last several long mains, and this is why I like the enduors).

I like impacts if the track is smoother and faster. Not so much if the track is really bumpy and blown out.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SEF
If the track is hardpacked with some loose top layer, I almost alway go with gridirons. Gridirons are fast (both on the track and at wearing out). When conditions are right, gridirons keep your car planted with just enough give for cornering.

I go to enduros if the track gets bumpier and more blown out. Also if you have a long main (they will last several long mains, and this is why I like the enduors).

I like impacts if the track is smoother and faster. Not so much if the track is really bumpy and blown out.
So enduro's last longer than Gridiors. how much traction would you lose from going for Enduros over Girdiors just so they would last longer? (on a hard packed slightly dusty track)
Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 PM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

So enduro's last longer than Gridiors. how much traction would you lose from going for Enduros over Girdiors just so they would last longer? (on a hard packed slightly dusty track)
Enduros last significantly longer. Soft Gridirons are usually done after a full day of racing (2 5 min quals and a 25 min main). After that they are a practice tire or a club racing tire.

I can get several long races with a set of enduros. I know some guys that will choose the enduros for the long 45 minute mains because they lose too much traction towards the end of the main as Gridirons wear out during the race.

I drive the two tires slightly different. Gridirons I like to stay planted and not break traction. I tend to be faster and more consistent this way as opposed to trying to drift around every corner.

I tend to drift a little more with enduros, but I do this intentionally and not because they don't provide enough traction. When Enduros break traction in corners, it is predictable and controllable and I like that.

As of late, to save on the cost of tires, I run Enduros, and my laptimes haven't really suffered. So win-win for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.