Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Regulator use it or ditch it??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I run 2S LiPo Rx packs without a regulator as well and have not had any issues. My buddy has been running them unregulated for two years in three different classes and never an issue. The servos are stupid fast and strong in 2S LiPo.

Personally I use the Hitec 5955 servos as they are rated for 7.4 volts. My buddy uses the JR 9000 servos. I know a few guys that ran the KO servos (not sure of model #), the Ace servos and Airtronics 358/359 servos on direct LiPo. I use the Nomadio React and the transceiver will handle up to 9.6 volts. The Spektrum Rx is good to 9.6 volts as well. The AMB Personal Transponder works fine too. I recently read a post on s-grid from a guy that runs a Futaba Rx on direct LiPo too but I don't believe Futaba's website says it is rated for more than 6.0 volts. But you also have to remember that a 5-cell NiMh hump pack puts out a lot more than 6.0 volts too!

I don't trust regulators/BECs. They are just another electronic component that could fail when subjected to heat/high amp draws (both of which our cars see a lot).

Best regards,
Old 10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

I have run both with & without reg with hitec & JR servos & niether showed any immediate sign of damage.I do use a reg in cars that I run lipo in simply for the higher mah rating the battery acts like it has with it.I have had 2 brands of regs take a dump on me but it could just be one in a million or the beating everything in an RC car takes I cant say for sure as I have the same regs in other cars & have no problems with ones that are a year or 2 older.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i think most of the reasons the regulators die is because they get hot and arent vented right and overheat and get damaged
Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A friend posted this link on our club forum, so after reading this post, I yanked the regulator out of my RC8T, using Nomadio Rx, Hitec 5955 and Airtronics 94359 and this kicks a$$. My battery reads 7.6 volts with no issues at all, and the servos are just nuts....lightning-fast and scary-strong.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

is the losi regulator any good?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Not sure if you guys are aware of it but A lot of receivers incorporate a circuit that regulates voltage to the servos. Some manufacturers market them as bec receivers, some non-bec, some don't specify either way. Of course it's not just brand specific. For example the JR RS300 does regulate voltage to about 5.5v. It's little brother the RS310 does not. So get out the multi-meter and do a quick check. If nothing else you'll have learned something about your equipment.

I'm betting quite a few people are using regulators for no reason.

That'll be 2¢ please.

Last edited by helibrian; 11-11-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

If you choose not to get a regulator with a low voltage cutoff, one thing to remember, someone may have already mentioned this, is be sure to keep your lipos charged. Some regulators limit the high voltage but will not keep the lipos from falling below a certain voltage. Thus, if you run too long before charging and your voltage falls below 6 volts your lipo pack could be done. I have seen two instances when this happened. By the time the servos get sluggish there is a chance it is too late. So, if you choose to run lipos and a reg., keep the batteries charged.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

most ppl cant handle a servo unregulated it just to fast.
i dont run one my self just another thing to cost me a race.
i like the speed it give me and the power
Old 11-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I ran my servos without any regulator simply because there was no room in the rx box for it, and never had any issues. I only ran a couple races like that so I can't comment on the long term effects, but I dont think there would be any problems regardless.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

My React radio displays my Rx battery voltage, and I set the failsafe for the Rx battery to go on at 6.4 volts to be on the safe side. My losi lipo pack is a 2000 mah pack, it reads 7.6 volts on my radio. Once it drops to 6.4, my radio will kick the brakes in, and I know it's time to quit. I LOVE THIS MOD! The extra speed and power is fantastic!

The Losi regulator is ok in some scenarios. I had it in my LST2racer but when I changed my steering servos to two Hitec 7955, I wasn't getting enough power to my electronics, and my failsafe was kicking in within minutes of being on the track-VERY annoying. My race partner runs one with his Airtronics servos, and has no problem, but he's taking it out after seeing my current setup.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

the regulator also keeps the servo's consistent! I think this is the best thing, near the end of the hour your servo does the same thing it did at min 1
Old 11-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

That's not a huge concern for me with LiPo. I ran my truck for 4 hours straight the last time I was at the track...it would run out of fuel, I'd run over and fill it, start it and run it...for 4 hours straight,maybe stopping twice for 15 minutes and I never noticed any drop in performance the whole time. At a race, I would never get that much track time, so I'm not worried about that.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

I have been running lipo receiver packs for a while now, i tried going back to nimh, and its not the same lol Plus my batteries lasted 2 years....they were 28 dollars each! I use a regulator though...as it will allow your batteries to last longer, without a regulator, all your volts dump right in...i would get around 35 minutes of runtime without a regulator on my 1000 cell, regulated, i got nearly an hour and a half! but you can run it either way depending on your servo, as Tony stated, i use Hitec servos with zero issues. Servos are awesome.

I remember i had to replace my receiver batteries every 2 months or so, depends how often i had to use them...LIPO saves cash in the long run for sure! just have to properly care for them, and they will last a long time..

forgot to add, but i usually wrap the LIPO battery with some heat shrink as added protection right when i get the battery, and i pad it with some good foam...and charging has never been so easy...its simply great.

I got my starter box and my KO radio strapped with LIPO...best thing ever.