R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Exhaust Gas Coolers - do they work? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/247587-exhaust-gas-coolers-do-they-work.html)

Machine's R/C H 10-14-2008 04:10 PM

Exhaust Gas Coolers - do they work?

New part from Machine's Racing Products:
CNC Nitro Exhaust Gas Heatsink Cooler

Machined from solid aluminum with ultra thin cooling fins and extra long for maximum efficiency. 90' nipples to prevent exhaust line pinching. Adds 30-120 seconds of fuel mileage. Other colors available by request.
http://www.machinesrchobbies.com

http://i13.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/14/26/a237_1.JPG

What is your experience with them? Are they worth the money? I saw many guys at the IFMAR Worlds using them. They are hard to find and expensive, but this new one is the cheapest I have found - $25 shipped.

ezveedub 10-14-2008 04:35 PM

Not sure as the onroad guys used them. I would ask in the Novarossi engine forum in the onroad section since they should be using them now.

jamminnay 10-14-2008 05:40 PM

i guess i did not know there was such a thing

vladconnery 10-14-2008 05:51 PM

Never heard of it. Good post thats why I come hear for the never heard that one before stuff.

butch man 10-14-2008 08:25 PM

I've heard 3rd hand stories about them & saw something on neo but never seen one for sale or in real life before. I thought it would be interesting to try but where on a buggy would you put it? Show a picture of it installed in a couple places on a buggy & I'll buy one for that price.

schmelme 10-14-2008 09:18 PM

I think the theory is that it lowers the fuel temp in the tank. Cooling the exhaust line to the tank should keep the fuel cooler in theory. Cooler fuel is more dense and allows a leaner mixture.(cooler fuel more in tank too)
Now does it work? I cant see it on an 1/8 offroad but in 1/8 onroad where they stuggle to make 5 min maybe. Besides the chassis plate on an 1/8 scale is a big heatsink anyway.

COBRARACING 10-15-2008 02:20 AM

Yes they do work the ones with a spiral effect on the heat sink work better the straight cuts dont work as good .the spiral allows the gases to move in a spiral effect trapping the the heat and releasing it from the heatsink were the straight cut ones dont work like that they are straight in straight out not a good effect.think about it as a radiator or a turbo intercooler for a car its not in and straight out right?

spiral removes about 7-10 degrees c from the tank were the stright cut about 3-5 degress c from the tank .

run time all depends on driving style ,fuel used,on road or off road there are many variations but about 30-60 seconds more on off road than on road as you are on and off the thottle for off road .Also if your tunnel when manufacture line is large you also lose back pressure losing power so it has to be just right . Angles on the ends are no good as you affect the airflow must all be straight down the line like a mandrel bend .

Anyone that tells you more run time they need to have a good look in the mirror as its fiction and not fact .we have our own cooler not only exhaust gas coller but also fuel cooler and we have done the testing

Cobra cooler is price at Map $15 Us and is available in blue

just what i know .

Machine's R/C H 11-20-2008 11:32 AM

I have my new fuel cooler mounted on the top of the splash shield in view of the air flow from the hole in the body where you refuel the car.

I have my exhaust gas cooler mounted on the front bulkhead top plate, to also get the most air flow from just behind the front tires.

I have used these 2 coolers at the last 3 races and the results are very noticeable. I got 10:45 seconds on a tank at the Worlds, where I usually can only get 8 minutes at the Farm. At the RC Pro FL Finals at Avon Park, I was getting 8+ minutes, when I have never been able to even get 7 min before. And at the RC Pro Int Finals, I was not stopping for fuel in qualifying and still had a half a tank after the 5 min qual. That was 2 min of warmup, 5 min qualifying, plus the 1st lap before the clock, and the final lap after the clock ends. That would put me at 13+ minutes a tank. And I pitted every 9 minutes in the 45 min A-main (only 4 pit stops in 45 minutes).

http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/1d/e6/29d0_1.JPG

$25.00 shipped each

j_blaze14 11-20-2008 01:10 PM

so it can cool the fuel and the gas, cool.

mike williams 11-20-2008 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Machine's R/C H (Post 5073756)
I have my new fuel cooler mounted on the top of the splash shield in view of the air flow from the hole in the body where you refuel the car.

I have my exhaust gas cooler mounted on the front bulkhead top plate, to also get the most air flow from just behind the front tires.

I have used these 2 coolers at the last 3 races and the results are very noticeable. I got 10:45 seconds on a tank at the Worlds, where I usually can only get 8 minutes at the Farm. At the RC Pro FL Finals at Avon Park, I was getting 8+ minutes, when I have never been able to even get 7 min before. And at the RC Pro Int Finals, I was not stopping for fuel in qualifying and still had a half a tank after the 5 min qual. That was 2 min of warmup, 5 min qualifying, plus the 1st lap before the clock, and the final lap after the clock ends. That would put me at 13+ minutes a tank. And I pitted every 9 minutes in the 45 min A-main (only 4 pit stops in 45 minutes).

http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/1d/e6/29d0_1.JPG

$25.00 shipped each

that sounds cool....fuel economy improvements, just what i need!!

TTREB4 11-21-2008 11:20 AM

Could you post a pic of how they are mounted on the car?

Cvdiver 11-21-2008 02:22 PM

I am sorry, but I gotta call B/S on this. The exhaust gas doesn't really 'flow' so much through this. My understanding of the purpose of having the exhaust to gas tank line is to provide pressure to help force fuel into the carb. I could see if there was a constant flow through the line, it may (and I stress MAY) help a tiny bit. Not enough to affect the temperature of the fuel any appreciable amount. If you really want to affect the temperature of your fuel, store it in an ice chest until you are ready to use it. Another option if you are worried about exhaust temp on your fuel is to shield your fuel tank from the pipe. Mcmaster-Carr has all kinds of heat shield type materials for next to nothing.
I could be way off base on my evaluation of that piece, but I would bet that physics would prove me right.

Zerodefect 11-21-2008 04:15 PM

I ran my car for 5 minutes then put my finger in the tank. The fuel wasn't hot. I don'y think cooling the fuel 1 degree is worth the extra once of dead weight flopping around on my chassis. I'll pass, thanks.

jamminnay 11-21-2008 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodefect (Post 5078397)
I ran my car for 5 minutes then put my finger in the tank. The fuel wasn't hot. I don'y think cooling the fuel 1 degree is worth the extra once of dead weight flopping around on my chassis. I'll pass, thanks.

yeah i think that i would have to agree with you on this one