Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Newbie question... >

Newbie question...

Newbie question...

Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Newbie question...

I'm still new to this sport and keep coming across a term that I can't seem to figure out the meaning of. When talking of engines many say it has a great pinch? What does that exactly mean?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it means the piston and sleve are tight........the sleve is slightly tapered so when the enginge gets up to operating temp. the fit is perfect......when the engine is cool if you push the piston to the top of the sleve it gets tight "pinch"
Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

double post, sorry.....
Old 10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

pinch is a good thing.. never leave home without it!! lol
Old 10-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Default first buggy

I am really glad i found this thread. I am looking into getting into nitro buggies i am a newbie to nitro but a quick learner (as far as tuning goes) There are soo many options out there for buggies and even though i want to build a kit eventually for a start i want a RTR i have figured the 4-500 range is high but i can cope and i have been looking at a Jammin x1x cr rtr and a hyper 8 with a 8.5 upgrade kit. I can get the jammin about 50 bucks cheaper then the hyper. You guys have any input or even suggestions i would appreciate the input. The things that are important to me is that its fast durable and i will be able to get parts and also maybe when i get good go to the track a little more and race.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

i think jammin.....but who knows......
Old 10-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tcaputo i think either way you go, you won't be dissapointed... A car is only as good as the person driving it.

A lot of people own the Hypers, A lot of people own the CR. i own a CR pro kit, but parts are cheap and my hobby shop carry's an enormous range of parts for this car.

If you are thinking seriously about racing then spend the money and buy the pro kit, your wallet will thank you later on as you won't be breaking or upgrading all the weak parts. You get a stronger package first up.

Buy the car that has the best support where you live so if something does break the LHS (local hobby shop) should have it in stock there and then.

Alternatively, buy 2nd hand. I think my setup cost AU$1000, but it's a AU$2000 buggy if i had bought all the parts new.

If your not in any hurry to get the car racing take your time (i took 3 months) to find the best deal and go with it. If your in a hurry and want it now buy the RTR, but expect some things to break...

hope this helps