Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Setup questions. Hard packed, dusty, bumpy. >

Setup questions. Hard packed, dusty, bumpy.

Setup questions. Hard packed, dusty, bumpy.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

Default Setup questions. Hard packed, dusty, bumpy.

Hey guys... What kind of things can I try to make my car go through rough bits better?

What about setups on hard packed (think similar to concrete) and VERY dusty tracks?

Please try to mention, droop, shocks (spring hardness, oils, shock positioning and piston size), diff oils.

It seemed my buggy was bouncy at the rear causing poor handling at speed over bumps. Infield, slow smooth stuff was pretty good.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mini696
Hey guys... What kind of things can I try to make my car go through rough bits better?

What about setups on hard packed (think similar to concrete) and VERY dusty tracks?

Please try to mention, droop, shocks (spring hardness, oils, shock positioning and piston size), diff oils.

It seemed my buggy was bouncy at the rear causing poor handling at speed over bumps. Infield, slow smooth stuff was pretty good.
If you tell us what kind of buggy you have, someone that drives that particular car can probably help. Generally however:

Softer is better for rough stuff... but only up to the point where the car isn't bottoming out. The issue you described could be too stiff (not allowing the suspension to work to keep the tires in contact) or too soft (bottoming out, and also allowing the shocks to rebound too fast. Could be that the shocks are too stiff for the springs you are using... or could be that the shocks are too soft for the springs you are using. (they have to match somewhat to work properly.)

Tell us what buggy, what shocks (piston size, fluid weight) what springs, etc. and we can probably make suggestions.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks.

The car I run is a Hot Bodies D8, its setup is completely stock at the moment.
I think you might be right that it is bottoming out. The rear end has always seemed soft to me.

Springs are Grey rear (74gf), White front (81gf).
Shock oil is #400 (approx 32.5wt) both front and rear.
28mm rear ride height, 29mm front.
Diffs 5/4/1
Pistons are 6 holes/1.3mm
Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I like to build in a little rebound into my shocks for blownout tracks. It lets me keep a lighter setup but helps a bit with bottoming out. I only run 27.5 in the back of my 808.