R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   NEW WIDE 1/8 TIRES? WHAT ARE THEY? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/244687-new-wide-1-8-tires-what-they.html)

NEMESIS44 09-28-2008 12:10 PM

NEW WIDE 1/8 TIRES? WHAT ARE THEY?

I am totally in the dark on this one. Haven't been on here very much lately.

1. How much wider are they?
2. Will they require wider wheels?
3. What company/companies are making them?
4. Where can I find information about them?

Sorry to be militant....just trying to get straight answers not-they will be wider fer more grip.

Thanks

jamminnay 09-28-2008 12:49 PM

there was some info on neo buggy about them..you will have to go back a few pages to get to it!

NEMESIS44 09-30-2008 10:01 PM

Couldn't find jack on neo?

spartan805 09-30-2008 10:23 PM

This is what I found....
http://www.vp-racing.com/products_tires-buggy_en.htm

Inside_Line 10-01-2008 12:23 PM

From what I've seen a few companies made these for the worlds race, but I'm not sure they are in production. I know the Proline wheels are 5mm wider, and yes V3 wheels and foams are also 5mm wider. These are not ROAR legal, but since 90% of all racing is at the club level who cares. The downside would be once you get used to running these, the ROAR legal tire will feel like your driving on ice. It is still up in the air if these will go full production at Proline, or hit the shops anytime soon, but I think they will.

Would you guys run these at club races if your buddies are smoking you with them? I think I would have too....

MikeFriery 10-01-2008 12:59 PM

ban them now for that very reason.

I know that most clubs arent affiliated with roar, but most use their rules as a guideline.

They arent roar legal, shouldn't be club race legal.

RBMike 10-01-2008 01:12 PM

Please, Please keep ROAR out of my club racing.

butch man 10-01-2008 01:45 PM

+1 .roar is a waste of money,incompetent,biased,& inefectual if you pay your $30 a year like me to watch roar botch every attempt at every race they try & stick their fingers in you would feel the same as me.Lets run the parts & ban rOAR.

For you that think what the pros list they run is actually what they run go to a big race & watch the pits.

For those that think something should be banned because rOAR does not allow it see the first sentence of this post.

MikeFriery 10-01-2008 01:56 PM

first, let me start off by saying i dont like roar. i dont attend roar events on a regular basis, only when there is a "really good" race that is in my home state *ie truck nats @ nitropit*

Rules are needed for club racing. Roar has a good "basic set of rules" that all tracks can use as general guidelines for adopting their own rules.

I've never raced at a track where "anything goes, run what you brung" and i never will.

desertbird 10-01-2008 02:35 PM

You know Mike you bring up a very good point regarding rule books, it keeps racing on a level playing field and is necessary, but let me tell you when I started running club races at the Nitro pit in April I asked about what the rules where being new to it. Everyone shrugged their shoulders. I even emailed Kenny for what rules I needed to follow before I started racing with no response. I figured there were none. The only time rules are good is if the rule book is readily available, everyone knows where to reference it, its followed religiously, and everyone gets inspected equally. Until that happens, its run what ya brung. How many guys have that plastic thing removed from their losi tanks at the track? Without tech inspections who cares about the rule book? All it becomes is someone crying that billy bob is running fatter tires that's why he is winning.

I'd be curious to see the "rule book" at the track, maybe its there I just did not ask Kenny specifically on race day or someone else that may be able to .

MikeFriery 10-01-2008 02:41 PM

my tank is still roar legal even with the plastic insert removed.

there will never be tech inspections at a club race... and there will always be cheating, but that doesn't mean that the people who dont cheat cant follow a basic guideline.

desertbird 10-01-2008 02:52 PM

true true, but you can't call someone a cheater that has never been given the rules. Or is educated on what rules the track follows.

CarCrazy 10-01-2008 05:29 PM

I also want to bring the buggy tire longevity issue into this.

It seems truggy tires last a bit longer than buggy tires because they are wider and have more surface contact reducing wear of the tire. Would running wide buggy tires reduce wear and at the same time reduce our racing cost?

Also with technological and material advancements these buggies are going faster, and faster, making things more exciting. Could this just be an another advancement? Should ROAR lower the legal weight of buggies, and increase the tire width to allow faster racing? If they did, the new standard would be wider and lighter.... = faster. In other forms of auto racing, sanctioning bodies have changed legal specs over time allowing new advancements, why not in RC?

Just a thought.

RBMike 10-01-2008 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by CarCrazy (Post 4896321)
Also with technological and material advancements these buggies are going faster, and faster, making things more exciting. Could this just be an another advancement? Should ROAR lower the legal weight of buggies, and increase the tire width to allow faster racing? If they did, the new standard would be wider and lighter.... = faster. In other forms of auto racing, sanctioning bodies have changed legal specs over time allowing new advancements, why not in RC?

Just a thought.

And a good one at that but that's not how ROAR works unfortunately.

Jason Ruona 10-01-2008 06:22 PM

Here are a couple of my personal thoughts about 1/8th buggy wheels and tires.

1. Wider or taller doesn't necessarily mean technology. I would consider it an option not new technology.

2. I think it is detrimental to a class to keep introducing new size combinations on a continued basis. Considering that not all 1/8th buggies will accept a wider front wheel and tire without rubbing the suspension this is especially damaging. This would mean some drivers would have front and rear specific tire combinations which was previously a +1 for 1/8th buggy having matching fronts and rears.

3. The wider versions were seen being used at the World Championships sparingly and only on a practice basis. When racing came down to the Semi-Final and Final (A-mains) everyone was using standard width wheels and tires. At the world championships drivers choose to run the very best at their disposal.

4. Tire wear is directly related to the track surface being run on. If the track is abrasive tires will wear quickly regardless of tread and compound. If the track condition is not abrasive or slightly wet tire wear will not be a huge factor. The wider tires are not going to make a difference in wear specifically because the surface is the largest factor in wear rate.

5. ROAR has its pluses and minus but they do provide a very detailed rule book which I believe holds the most hope for the survival of any class. The ROAR rules for 1/8th buggy wheels and tires is completely in spec with what is being raced today at the highest level. I see no reason to change them simply because the change does nothing to further the class or entice more people to get involved in 1/8th buggy.

6. The wider tires and wheels will also be more expensive. Based on my research, nobody wants more expensive R/C equipment.