R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Piston/ sleeve renewing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/243886-piston-sleeve-renewing.html)

Raddman 09-23-2008 05:03 PM

Piston/ sleeve renewing

Has anybody used this service for their engines??

http://www.osrocketracing.com/pistonsleeve.php

They came highly recommended by a local racer.

t0adman 09-23-2008 05:15 PM

I've yet to have a sleeve pinched but I've heard OS Rocket and RayARacing are both good options. I've read that OS Rocket has "over pinched" some people's sleeves. I'm guessing they would fix it if that were the case. It seems like a good way to get more life out of sleeve though.

RobbieS 09-23-2008 05:38 PM

I've used their services on several engines over the years. It's a great way to extend motor life. Just make sure you heed the instructions and richen it up to break it in again as described.

K_B 09-23-2008 05:42 PM

How much life can ya get from a re-pinch? I imagine results are all across the board...

22Racer 09-23-2008 05:44 PM

If you keep the sleeve round when you pinch it you don't need to pinch it as tight as it came new. My break in on the sleeves I pinch is run it run 2 tanks 2hours richer on the track and let her eat. Some have gotten 8 gallons on a pinch.

Rex

bellinger 09-23-2008 05:58 PM

try rayaracing.com . ray does resizing for top racers around the world . great customer service and sets are generally back in 10 days at the latest.

Allumina 09-23-2008 08:38 PM

good thread, thanks for poisting it, i've always wanted to know exactly how pinching works, now I know. Thanks to everyone who replied too.

JGray 09-24-2008 09:50 AM

Get hold of Rick Brake at RBMODS.net. He does great work with quick turn times. He has done mine for the past three years with no problems at all.

Mo Denton 09-24-2008 10:03 AM

osrocket hands down is awesome.
I am not bashing the other companies I jsut ahve not used them due to the fact that I didnt need to.
I send a piston and sleeve to osrocket and they have it back by the weekend.
one thing I do is order a new rod and after break in replace the old one and it is litterally a brand new motor (if not a little better) total ends up costing about 65 bucks after the rod but its literally a brand new motor for that.
I really havent met anyone that didnt approve of his work.
hope this helps
thanks
MO

meno222 09-24-2008 06:46 PM

how many times can you resize a piston and sleeve.

22Racer 09-24-2008 07:00 PM

Atleast 3 times, depending on how much it is pinched each time.

Rex

RobbieS 09-24-2008 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by meno222 (Post 4874051)
how many times can you resize a piston and sleeve.

This will vary based on the sleeve wall thickness and sleeve material.

The more it is done 2 things happen. The metal gets more pliable and because the diameter is now a little smaller the sleeve will fit in the block just a tad looser. With each pinch it also gets just a tad looser each time. Since the sleeve is now looser it gives the piston the opportunity to "spread" the sleeve back out. This could cause your pinched sleeve to loose compression early if the sleeve material is week. That being said I'd think any decent engine could get pinched 2-3 times with no issues at all.

RayA 03-29-2009 09:37 PM

RayAracing reconditioning-resizing service

Originally Posted by bellinger (Post 4869684)
try rayaracing.com . ray does resizing for top racers around the world . great customer service and sets are generally back in 10 days at the latest.

Thanks for the kind words Brian,

I keep an eye on all forums resizing threads, just as you know I keep a keen eye on my work performance on the track.

See you at the new Gleenwood offroad track location in May.

RayA

houston 03-29-2009 10:23 PM

if you resize you need to use ray , he invented it and perfected it :nod:

markt311 03-29-2009 11:41 PM

I just got a used Vspec that was pinched, I broke it in with a heat cycle method for 6 heat cycles. Now it feels like it doesn't have much compression when it's hot but when you turn it over by hand you can feel almost like a "notch" feeling when the piston goes to TDC so I know the pinch is still tight. I haven't been able to run it much because of the weather but it does seem to want to run a little hot, around 240-250. Does anyone have any ideas on whats going on? I might have it just a bit lean on the top end. First race next weekend so I guess I'll see how she does.