Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
bad things about having no servo-saver >

bad things about having no servo-saver

bad things about having no servo-saver

Reply

Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 AM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
TTR:EB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Whyalla, South Australia
Posts: 1,290
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default bad things about having no servo-saver

i have a caster racing K8T i took the servo saver spring out and put a piece of rubber there, now it turns wicked! but i have no servo saver, could the servo cop a couple of rolls? i dont usally slam into anything. most of the time :P

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by TTR:EB4; 09-23-2008 at 05:27 AM.
TTR:EB4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 AM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
julius_makewar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Port Augusta, South Australia
Posts: 1,146
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Mike, A servo saver is not there just to protect from an accident. It protects from jolts during cornering and from landings. If you dont run a servo saver you will always run the risk of damage.
Cheers
julius_makewar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by julius_makewar View Post
Mike, A servo saver is not there just to protect from an accident. It protects from jolts during cornering and from landings. If you dont run a servo saver you will always run the risk of damage.
Cheers
X1

Pretty simple concept really, they don't call them servoSAVERS for nothing.
cracka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 AM
  #4  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
boostfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Selah WA
Posts: 543
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TTR:EB4 View Post
i have a caster racing K8T i took the servo saver spring out and put a piece of rubber there, now it turns wicked! but i have no servo saver, could the servo cop a couple of rolls? i dont usally slam into anything. most of the time :P

Thanks
Mike

Sounds like the servo saver was loose to begin with.
boostfiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
Akhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alberta,Canada
Posts: 1,327
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Why do most buggy drivers run those metal arms directly on the servo then?

They don't care about blowing them?
Akhor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 AM
  #6  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
CaLaBeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 290
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

LMFAO There still is a spring in the akerman if you use a Aluminum servo arm.... They use these so there is less chance of loss of steering due to a plastic arm stripping and aluminum does not strip unless you install it improper... Also your spring is not tight enough if you cannot turn good tighten it up and you will be good to go..
CaLaBeR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

The std Caster servo saver spring is a bit soft but just tension it up and it will be good.
razzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 AM
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 221
Default

Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
Why do most buggy drivers run those metal arms directly on the servo then?

They don't care about blowing them?
To an extent yes, they also run servos that are way beyond the needs of the buggy (torque) or its steering capability. At the same time the designs have extra linkages built into the steering that absorb a lot of the shock that if they had less they'd probably require a servosaver.
RCabcs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
Akhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alberta,Canada
Posts: 1,327
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCabcs View Post
To an extent yes, they also run servos that are way beyond the needs of the buggy (torque) or its steering capability. At the same time the designs have extra linkages built into the steering that absorb a lot of the shock that if they had less they'd probably require a servosaver.
Oh this makes since (Sorry for the dumb question I'm a noob).

So what types of vehicles should run a servo saver then? And should it only be on the steering linkage?
Akhor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM
  #10  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
boostfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Selah WA
Posts: 543
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
Oh this makes since (Sorry for the dumb question I'm a noob).

So what types of vehicles should run a servo saver then? And should it only be on the steering linkage?
All of them! hehe. Good servos (which everyone should run) are not cheap. The throttle servo doesn't require a servo saver.

If you don't know, all a servo saver does is provide a 'weak link' in the system that will give before the servo gears, splines, or links. A good servo saver will react to a harsh impact and reset itself.

Too loose of servo saver and it'll react under light conditions, like ruts, bumps and jumps. When it does react, it will change the toe angle of the tire. You certainly want to keep the toe adjustment consistant.

Too tight of a servo saver and you risk damage to the gears (or motor) of the servo. They can only take so much before they strip or burn. Not to mention, if the servo takes a hard hit and there is no give, it puts a heck of a strain on the battery and receiver.
boostfiend is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service