R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   HELP FIND THREAD ABOUT NEW HEAT CYCLE BREAK IN (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/243430-help-find-thread-about-new-heat-cycle-break.html)

NEMESIS44 09-21-2008 08:25 AM

HELP FIND THREAD ABOUT NEW HEAT CYCLE BREAK IN

I read a thread about this new break in method of getting your temp up to 200 then ride around for 2-3 and repeat this so many times and then going to 3-4 minute intervals until it totals X amount of time and then you are ready to go.

PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS THREAD OR A LINK TO IT??

Davidka 09-21-2008 08:41 AM

You've already got it. Use a heat gun to get the engine up to 160f or so before starting and wrap the head with foil to keep heat in the engine so you can run it rich while maintaining the temps you're looking for(~200f) and run the engine for 4 minutes at a time letting it cool between runs with the piston at BDC. Do that 4-5 times and start running the engine on the track at leaner settings.

NEMESIS44 09-21-2008 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Davidka (Post 4860243)
You've already got it. Use a heat gun to get the engine up to 160f or so before starting and wrap the head with foil to keep heat in the engine so you can run it rich while maintaining the temps you're looking for(~200f) and run the engine for 4 minutes at a time letting it cool between runs with the piston at BDC. Do that 4-5 times and start running the engine on the track at leaner settings.

OK I have already done 4 or five cycles where I ran the car for 2 to 3mins then shut it off and cooled all the way down. I used about 2 tanks total doing it this way.

Is that enough break-in or do I need to do a little more? I am shipping it to powerhousercperformance to be modded and I wanted to make sure it was break in before I send it.

Davidka 09-21-2008 09:06 AM

It's tough to say what enough break in is. An optimally broken in engine has maximum compression with no metal "pinch" at the top of the piston stroke (you can tell by turning the engine with the plug out). This usually doesn't take place until after the engine has been driven on he track a little bit. You are probably ok sending the engine to a modder like it is now though.

What engine? I ask because I'm not a big believer in modding. If it's a good engine it's probably better to leave it alone.

NEMESIS44 09-21-2008 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Davidka (Post 4860318)
It's tough to say what enough break in is. An optimally broken in engine has maximum compression with no metal "pinch" at the top of the piston stroke (you can tell by turning the engine with the plug out). This usually doesn't take place until after the engine has been driven on he track a little bit. You are probably ok sending the engine to a modder like it is now though.

What engine? I ask because I'm not a big believer in modding. If it's a good engine it's probably better to leave it alone.

It's the new GRP MR Tuned 21

wingracer 09-21-2008 10:25 AM

There's nothing new about heat cycle break ins. People been doing it since the dawn of 2 strokes.

nobike 09-21-2008 12:40 PM

http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html

Sam-E 09-21-2008 01:17 PM

I use the heat cycle run in method, but no way is the motor run in after 25mins... it takes a lot more than that to run in a motor, I believe that is just the start of the run in!!

viperbill1963 09-25-2008 02:53 PM

break in

i saw a break in used by the drake in r/c extreme a few months back i tried it and it works great but i would caution any new racer's not to use or try this unless you have some motor tuning skills or at least a friend who understands more than just the basics . if your not sure about which break-in or how much break-in is needed for a mod order just ask your modder how much breakin is needed b4 sending them the motor .