Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Servo Grommets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default Why Servo Grommets?

Do you use the rubber o-ring servo grommets supplied with your servo? OR do you just mount the servo right on with screws?

I've heard both... people sware you need to use the grommets to protect the servo from being stripped... other people say if you use the grommets there is too much slop...

what do you do and why?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I use em. It's always been my belief that they are used to help prevent vibration from messing with the servo.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Use them for sure. It is a cushion for the servo and helps to prevent cracking the ears off the cases. I used to occasionally crack on of the corners off of my servos until a friend told me to start using the supplied grommets. Ever since no more broken ears.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use DACE servo clamps, nothing better IMO

http://www.rccompound.com/SearchResults.asp?mfg=Dace

Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

With all the vibrations occurring in cars it's a wonder that the electronics work at all. Certain things just don't go well with electronics.... water, heat, and vibration.

I'm all for using the rubber grommets, but only in conjunction with the brass eyelets that are placed inside of them. If you can eliminate the vibration to the electronics in the servos, you may find they last longer and protect the gears better. When using the eyelets in the center of the grommet, the servos don't have much room to move around if everything is secure.

Using only the rubber grommets, your servos will definitely have some slop.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Use them on throttle servos, but like the other guy said use the little eyelets too.

You usually can't use them on steering servos due to mounting and geometry issues but if the car is designed for them then it should be ok.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by technazi
With all the vibrations occurring in cars it's a wonder that the electronics work at all. Certain things just don't go well with electronics.... water, heat, and vibration.

I'm all for using the rubber grommets, but only in conjunction with the brass eyelets that are placed inside of them. If you can eliminate the vibration to the electronics in the servos, you may find they last longer and protect the gears better. When using the eyelets in the center of the grommet, the servos don't have much room to move around if everything is secure.

Using only the rubber grommets, your servos will definitely have some slop.
I've been using the gromments, but without the eyelets... Didn't actually know that they were supposed to go in there.. Guess what I'll be doing this evening?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

my eyelets are never big enough to fit the screws that I use for mounting the servos
Old 09-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

ive also never run grommets in the many years ive been racing and have never broken an ear or a servo....that is until I started running a losi lol
Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Since I started using servo clamps, I've not broken any ears. I've never had a servo go bad either with or without the clamps. I looked at the grommets and eyelets and they were not compatible with the screws I use so I don't use them.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Since I started using servo clamps, I've not broken any ears. I've never had a servo go bad either with or without the clamps. I looked at the grommets and eyelets and they were not compatible with the screws I use so I don't use them.
Anyone else make these servo clamps besides Dace? I cann't find any on A-Main.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the feedback.

I use to race 1/10 scale electric and I never use grommets and I never stripped or broke servos.

I ask because I now race a Losi 8ight and had a nice JR 9100s servo mounted. The servo gears blew up. I was curious if the grommets would have prevented that. I am very confident I had the servo adjusted properly. The odd part is that putting grommets on the 8ight it seems to throw off the geometry and make the servo sloppy not being mounted firmly.

Thankfully JR fixed my servo as a courtesy.

-Don
Old 09-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Don Duct
Thanks for all the feedback.

I use to race 1/10 scale electric and I never use grommets and I never stripped or broke servos.

I ask because I now race a Losi 8ight and had a nice JR 9100s servo mounted. The servo gears blew up. I was curious if the grommets would have prevented that. I am very confident I had the servo adjusted properly. The odd part is that putting grommets on the 8ight it seems to throw off the geometry and make the servo sloppy not being mounted firmly.

Thankfully JR fixed my servo as a courtesy.

-Don
Ya, JR's 3 year warranty is hard to beat!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

One other reason for using the rubber grommets is to help reduce glitching. I know on modern radios it is not as necessary but it is cheap protection.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RickBac
One other reason for using the rubber grommets is to help reduce glitching. I know on modern radios it is not as necessary but it is cheap protection.
ROFLOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.