Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8 buggy/truggy RTR spec class >

1/8 buggy/truggy RTR spec class

1/8 buggy/truggy RTR spec class

Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? 1/8 buggy/truggy RTR spec class

I was thinking of this for sometime. With the current explosion in the Traxxas Slash spec racing(which is freaking awesome). I think a spec RTR buggy/truggy class would be a hit. I know of a few rtr kits in both categorys for around 4-600 dollars. Basically add fuel, break-in your engine, and drive.

So why hasn't anyone made a spec class for nitro. Maybe theres a few across the world, maybe not? The logic behind this is lower cost. Nitro is expensive as it is in many different ways. When joe smoe is racing john smoe, and john is faster because of his awesome Engine/Pipe combo. Joe smoe shows up next week with the upgraded engine/pipe combo for a couple hundred more and beats john. Now john takes his motor and gets it modded out for even more performance, and shows up the next week to beat joe. Ive seen this happen before. And before you think about it, there goes 2000 dollars to race club racing which is for fun and nothing.

Basically you would run your rtr with everything from the factor except for maybe tx/rx, springs, wing, body, tires, and maybe diff fluids. So this would keep cost down to below 1000 dollars. I think it would be a hit, if someone was brave enough to try it.

What do you think?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The sportsman/rookie class

-fills the needs of one with a RTR vehicle

-or the people who have expensive vehicles and components, but could use some help with their driving skill.

then you get bumped up to expert if you have skills and that's when you spend more money...
Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

but even then, you can run what ever you want.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Basically you would run your rtr with everything from the factor except for maybe tx/rx, springs, wing, body, tires, and maybe diff fluids. So this would keep cost down to below 1000 dollars. I think it would be a hit, if someone was brave enough to try it.
Might as well add servos to that list... The vast majority of RTR servos will be useless in a racing application.

Some of them come with pretty decent motors, others not so much.

RTRs tend to be overall less durable than their "race" counterparts, there will be MORE fixing and repair going on and it will cost more to race one than it would if you simply bought the race-specific one to start out with.

Don't get me wrong it CAN be done, I even ran a mostly-stock(well with the exception of different servos, tx/rx and engine) Ultra LX-One at a few club races and even did as well as second in the A, but the car was not durable... Especially the diffs. They did not hold up well at all.

I just view it as counterproductive if you want to get into racing at any level.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Suspended

ROFLMAO
Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

i would say RTR bone stock except tires/fluids to your liking/ and you can custom paint your body if you want.

stock servos because then you got john with a nice high tourqe servo and can rip around turns like nothing. then ou got joe with his stock servo because he is racing a budget class so hes on a budget and his servo isnt as high doller as johns so. stock servos if it breaks then put a new one in. i have ran a rtr servo for 2 years when i was in my rtr stage and i did just fine
Old 09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

why would anyone want to subject themselves to the head aches of racing a buggy/truggy with a crappy engine and crappy servos???

this is what the sportsman class is for IMO
Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

seriously, the initial investment of 500 dollars for a half-decent RTR that will soon need upgrading... it's their marketing suck you into this hobby.

as for a strictly stock class, there are too many variances between nitro variables such as engine tuning, plugs, fuel, bla bla bla
it will still end up with who spends more in the RTR biz:
for example XTM RTR vs a Losi RTR

then again, driver skill and car setup. i've seen an XT2 smoke the sportsman class. Sportsman class caters to most without it getting too serious. Dont get sad just because Sportsman Johnny or Mike or Jimbo or Ulysses bought a 500 dollar OS Speed and drives faster than you... into the wall
Old 09-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok hmmm, what about sportsman spec. spec on the engine and pipe. Maybe 1-2 engines to choose from? That would be way cool. Possibly something affordable and easy to tune.