Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Rw modding and engine rebuilding >

Rw modding and engine rebuilding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

Rw modding and engine rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Rw modding and engine rebuilding

I have rebuilt quite a few motors for guys on the board here. I have slowly been modding motors too, mostly for myself and experimenting. I am confident now that I am ready to do it more for other racers.

As far as rebuilding a motor I take the motor apart and check it over, especially the rod and crank pin wear. I pull out the front bearing and pull the carb off and clean the block in a high pressure washer. If the front bearing is still good I clean and regrease or oil. On most motors I see they need a pinch, I have found a very effective method that works very well and keeps it very round. I have not found a size yet I couldn't pinch. I have even made plugs to fix a sleeve someone has tried to pinch themselves.
I use Tko bearings and I have had very good luck with using Go parts in Novarossi based engines. Especially the Go rod, it is very strong and is only $18.69.

If you have any questions you can post it on here or Pm me.

Rex
Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Did you mod any of the motors Kendall is currently running?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Modding motors isn't as simple as taking a dremel tool to the internals....

What issues for a particular motor are you trying to fix? How do you know the "fixes" you are making are actually improving the performance? How much R&D did you do on a particular engine?

With regard to "pinching".... Do you maintain the sleeves taper?

When I started my Nitro Engine Modding and Service, I took a V-Spec to work where we "modeled" it on a super computer, worked with Fluid Dynamic Engineers to see how and where to make changes if necessary. After that I mod'ed the motor and gave it to a sponsored driver to test. We continued to make changes. I must have gone through half a dozen motors, till we got it where we wanted it...

And with sleeve equipment, we went with IMO is the best DIY pinch equipment from Rayaracing.com. Sure there was an initial cost in buying the equipment, but we've had excellent success with it...

I'm not dissing you, maybe just giving you something to compare your services to. I do wish you the best of luck!

Originally Posted by 22Racer
I have rebuilt quite a few motors for guys on the board here. I have slowly been modding motors too, mostly for myself and experimenting. I am confident now that I am ready to do it more for other racers.

As far as rebuilding a motor I take the motor apart and check it over, especially the rod and crank pin wear. I pull out the front bearing and pull the carb off and clean the block in a high pressure washer. If the front bearing is still good I clean and regrease or oil. On most motors I see they need a pinch, I have found a very effective method that works very well and keeps it very round. I have not found a size yet I couldn't pinch. I have even made plugs to fix a sleeve someone has tried to pinch themselves.
I use Tko bearings and I have had very good luck with using Go parts in Novarossi based engines. Especially the Go rod, it is very strong and is only $18.69.

If you have any questions you can post it on here or Pm me.

Rex
Old 09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Code name: Starfish

LOL!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gubbs3
Did you mod any of the motors Kendall is currently running?
I don't do too much to Kendalls motors. He ran them stock a couple race weekends then I just did some blending and polishing to the crank.

Rex
Old 09-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Bushyar15, I have rebuilt several different modders motors and was not impressed with 1/2 of them. Like Maximo has said, not very many modders change timing. I personally just do more blending and cleanup and don't mess with timing much, you can make a engine hard to tune. I also think a crank like someone pictured above maybe could make more power, but at the expense of making it hard to tune. Being a machinist I have put bypass ports in motors that don't come with them. I really like how some modded motors have many hours in them and the modder didn't even think to touch the block.
The machine I use to pinch is over $10,000 new, but pinching is not what it was made for. I have had several customers say they like mine better than others they have used. I don't pinch my motors very tight, I keep them so round they only need a coule tanks through them to go racing again. I had a customer get over 8 gallons on a motor after I pinched it.

As for what I'm trying to fix, each motor is different. The v-spec is a good example, Os changed the sleeve on the speed slightly, I've had customers update there regular v-spec to a speed crank and rod. I update the sleeve if they want me too, it really smooths out the motor, maybe not just the peak power.

Rex
Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks to all the people that have sent me sleeves to pinch. I have had a few questions.
Yes, you need to send the piston and sleeve.
Turn around is usually one day, more for a whole motor.
I do offer discounts for multiple motors or sleeves.
Cost is $15.00 for a pinch if you send me the piston and sleeve, $35.00 to go through the whole motor, includes bearing replacement, pinch cleaning etc. This includes shipping back.

You can just send the motor or sleeves to my address, I will only need payment before sending it back.

Rex Welch
2136 Mingo View Dr.
Wanamingo, Mn 55983

Thanks!

Rex

Last edited by 22Racer; 12-09-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: price change
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 PM
AE

James, who's crank is that? OMG!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wow, great prices!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

David, I met you down at Extreme at the pro series in June, Kendall Welch is my son.

Rex
Old 12-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Just a reminder, padded envelopes work best when sending a piston and sleeve. Usually a box for motors. shipping is included back but let me know if you want insurance, I'll have to charge extra for that.

Thanks!

Rex
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Rex,

Unbelievable price man! You so have an S5 coming your way! Paypal? or how do you prefer?

Matt
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

I only require $ before I send it back. paypal is preferred, address is [email protected]
I just realized I have since changed the price of rebuilding a motor. I increased it to $35.00 since shipping is usually more than $5.00 now. A p/s pinch is still $15.00

Rex
Old 12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

No problem. Still a deal. I'd even pay a little more if feel you like working a little magic on it. I'll be sending it off Friday when I get back home.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

hey i have a go 3pr motor im think about have u to pinch the sleeve could u tell me about how many gal of feul is the pinch good is a pinch sleeve good for.
Thank You

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.