your WTF moments in RC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

your WTF moments in RC

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

One more WTF moment I just remembered gappined a few months back.

I race in Europe and came about 600 miles to Chech Republic for race. The track was really nice, but surrounded only by small villages. Guess what, we didn't find where to sleep for the weekend in like 10 nearby villages - all hotels where booked by the rc-racers...

Luckily enough a fellow racer, which I met during past races had a free bed in his hotel room and let me stay
Old 10-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

i had an oddd problem i chased for w hile.i started running a mbx5t for a while.all was fine for a while,but then it was getting harder to turn,and i was starting to give up on it.my buddy,who was trying to convince me to get an m11 drove it and said the controller felt funny.i blew his comment off for a while,til I felt that the controller was weird.the potentiometer for the trigger came loose on the board,which let it just flop around in there.i felt pretty dumb.i chased that problem for about a month!lesson learned.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Return Spring

My one and only WTF moment, yeah right...

I had just fixed my buddies Revo. Had it started and he was driving it around. I needed to swap the throttle servo on mine so we could run togther. A five minute swap right? Only if you forget to hook up the return spring. Unfortunatley, the thing started right up, stood up on the rear tires dragging the wing on the ground and racing across the yard. How I did not break anything is beyond me. Dang that is funny...
Old 10-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Foams, stock electric sedan....

For weeks i've been chasing a setup problem, braking into any flowing corner the back end breaks loose. hairpin corners the car is fine, steers on a dime...

Checked the rear hinge pins, not bent. Turned down the expo thinking the car was rotating too quickly. Tyres pretty worn down to the rim so I was thinking I need some new foams.....

So, friday night an old friend turns up at the track and I ask him to check the car over. It turns out that I had 10mm front and rear ride height, front diff loose and the shocks were angled too high

So in effect, the car swapped ends just looking at it on those sweepers because the inside rear tyre was lifting off the ground. Also, because the front diff was too loose I was not getting enough power coming out of the corners.

The stupidest thing is that i've raced for 14 years..... I can drive anything with wheels, but can't set up a car to save my life

10mm! I could go off roading with my sedan with that ground clearance

I forgot to mention the most wtf part of it...

on a rubbish setup I made it into the A main?! 5th....

climbed to 3rd....

20 laps in with the setup so great, I brainfarted, clipped an apex and it took off the camber and steering link, got it back to the rostrum, I clipped them back on, feeling a little smug that I hadn't totally wrecked, out, also thinking I might be able to salvage a few places, only to realise the car still wasnt handling and going wide...

one of the front shocks had popped off the bottom too and I hadn't seen it....

ah well, 10/10 for effort I guess

Last edited by tc3team; 10-14-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I must share my Retarted Moment w/ my fellow Hobby Enthusiasts.

This past weekend, I put it in the A at the SIC in Alabama. I was very pleased w/ all my equiptment. Everything was going great till the horn went off. I started 10th in a 15 car Buggy AMain. So I knew I may be involved in a "Hobby Pileup" on the first turn. Sure enough it was like "Days of Thunder". Major Cluster $%&* pile up. Well, the worst part of it is, after the smoke cleared, I drove someone elses Pink, White, and Blue buggy for an entire lap. Well He finally wrecked, and I realized "DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR" well I Looked for the marshall who was running around chassing my car at the first turn and realized, I am oficially to old to still be in this sport/hobby.

Oh well, I'm a Dummy but I was able to entertain my Pit Man....................
Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan Reino

This past weekend, I put it in the A at the SIC in Alabama. I was very pleased w/ all my equiptment. Everything was going great till the horn went off. I started 10th in a 15 car Buggy AMain. So I knew I may be involved in a "Hobby Pileup" on the first turn. Sure enough it was like "Days of Thunder". Major Cluster $%&* pile up. Well, the worst part of it is, after the smoke cleared, I drove someone elses Pink, White, and Blue buggy for an entire lap. Well He finally wrecked, and I realized "DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR" well I Looked for the marshall who was running around chassing my car at the first turn and realized, I am oficially to old to still be in this sport/hobby.

haha, thats a great story!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

That is why i paint my Lids as loud, and florescent as possible! My buggy can never be confused with anything else on the track!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Initiate

all i can say is don't put traction compound on your junk!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Don't feel bad. A guy at the 1/8th buggy worlds did the same thing. He had already bumped up twice and probably would've again, but he followed someone else's car. haha
Old 10-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

i had the wrong pitman pick up my truggy and try to fuel it up.i have to give him credit,cuz i had that thing pinned wtfo,turning the tires right and left ,but he was still tryin!never even looked for why his driver was being a total tard???!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dethklok151
i had the wrong pitman pick up my truggy and try to fuel it up.i have to give him credit,cuz i had that thing pinned wtfo,turning the tires right and left ,but he was still tryin!never even looked for why his driver was being a total tard???!!!!
classic....
Old 10-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

Something I found on another forum....

"I had a battery pack in my pocket with 1 coin. The coin shorted two cells. I smelt burning. Took my jacket off and the battery and the coin fell out. The battery had melted through the jacket and vented on the floor, the coin had melted itself into the carpet. I couldn't pick it up because it was stuck."

what a dumb*ss
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Different hobby, but when I was six years old, my friend told me that if I were to put a coin on the slot car track, so it touched both metal contacts, it would cause "problems."

He left the room for a second, curiosity got the better of me and I put a quarter on the track, touching both lines.

It caused problems, alright.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm in Southern California and wildfires were less than a mile away from my place. They're still burning right now in the adjacent city over the mountains. This morning, police stated on their speaker systems that a 'mandatory evacuation' was necessary for my neighborhood.

My car was stuffed with only RC things. Everyone else around me was packing important documents, photos, their pets, etc...
Old 10-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

I let a buddy of mine fly my 2 week old JR Vigor helicopter and he was doing a 400ft tail slide into fast backwards inverted flight. When he pulled, the blades drove onto the boom and the heli did a "yard sale" in the air. Turns out the Model Sport blades folded up. (was a problem with them on 60 size helis back then). Not even the motor mount made it. I told him that he didn't have to pay for it, because it wasn't his fault. He is now a Synergy factory pilot so I should collect.

BTW: That was the last pair of Model Sport blades I ever flown. Buuuuutt, I do still have a night flying pair.

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 10-14-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.