Community
Wiki Posts
Search

your WTF moments in RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Looks like I'm hyjacking this thread.

This is another heli one. A flying buddy of mine back when I was living in SC came up with this. You walk out to the flight line and get ready for a normal flight. Well you get a spotter out with you, (he's in on it). You start flying around as normal, but then you start putting the radio between your legs, then behind your back. Start dancing around, spinning, then have your spotter cover your eyes, just get get crazy looking like an idiot. But the whole time your doing perfect 3D flight. Trust me it gets alot of attention.. The thing is that the whole time Henry was sitting in a chair in the pits with "his" radio, doing the accual flying. The radio that I was holding was never on..

I miss flying with HC, he was always up to something crazy. If any of you know him, you know what I mean.

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 09-26-2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: never mind, this is a car forum, you won't know him.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Tech Adept

heli's are crazy...everytime you fly something breaks...
Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I put my hand down on my starter box once. It burned two perfect lines in my hand from the edges of the wheel. I was in pain the entire day at the track.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

4 or 5 years back we used to gather on a frozen lake during winter, make a track from some curbs and race and once a battery died on a friends buggy resulting in a run away on the frozen lake, and the buggy went to the farthest shore...The driver put on skis and traced the buggy tracks for 2-3 miles...

Another one was when my air filter come off during the final run (RB WS7 on a truggy) and i was in the lead...decided that i want to win badly and ran till the end, finished first, but the engine died as soon as i let off the throttle after going past the finish line.

And the last one was during a race a few months back, i was pitting for a friend and it rained during the lower finals badly. Then the first pits started, i called in my friend for fuel and before i got to hold it 2 other mechanics took the car, tilted it, looked at it, noticed that it was the wrong car and let it go The cars were so muddy that i was a common mistake for the mechanics to pick the wrong car...
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ohhhh... pranks huh?

Last year at the Texas Nitro Invitational in Austin, Ron TQ'd... he went off to do something, so we hid his car. When he started looking for it, we told him that it was impounded for tech because he was TQ and sent him to Paul. (the track owner/race director/Nitro Invitaional series organizer) Paul sent him to Mike Battaile's trailer... Mike sent him to another place at the other end of the track... we had him running around for about 30 minutes.

At a different race the rest of our crew was all done, waiting for Ron's main. We dug about 8 or 10 beer cans out of the trash can from the night before and put them around our pit area, stuck a couple in coozies so he'd think we were getting trashed when we had to pit him. His reaction was priceless!
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
I put my hand down on my starter box once. It burned two perfect lines in my hand from the edges of the wheel. I was in pain the entire day at the track.
Did this one, only I picked up the startbox, pinky and the finger next to it wrapped backwards around the handle... and my middle finger and pointy finger on top of the box, my pit man [DADDY :P] left the switch on and the pressure from my fingers on top of the box, and lifting it up was just enough to trigger the toggle and the starter wheel sucked my index finger down into the box. It looked and felt way worse than it really was, ended up with a haggard rubber burn on one side and pulled alot of skin from the edge of the metal on the other
Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Thoes finger and hand on starter box ones make me kringe. Kinda like finger nails on a chalk board.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

guys this is a great thread! one of the best i have read and all the stories are really entertaining. here are some of mine, probably not as good but when i look back they are pretty funny.

1. Was messing with my HPI RS3 in front of my house (was my first nitro car), just zipping it up and down the street really. Now my street forms a T and I was standing on the curb in the middle so I could see a good ways up and down it. As I drove it to the end of the street and prepared to bring it back a police car turned onto my street so I pulled my car to the side of the road so it wouldnt get run over. The police car though pulls behind my car and just sits there for. wtf? So i drive it along the gutter to bring it back closer to myself when the cop turns on lights and sirens and follows behind the car!

Eventually I get the car back to where I am standing and shut it off and the officer turns off the sirens (leaves the lights on though) and asks how fast I was going.
Me:"i don't know. 30ish?"
cop: "a bit faster than that, i got you at 45.
me: "uhhhh"
cop: "neat car, going that fast you could really hurt someone I bet so watch out for dogs and small kids."
me: "no problem!"
Old 09-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkiiina
guys this is a great thread! one of the best i have read and all the stories are really entertaining. here are some of mine, probably not as good but when i look back they are pretty funny.

1. Was messing with my HPI RS3 in front of my house (was my first nitro car), just zipping it up and down the street really. Now my street forms a T and I was standing on the curb in the middle so I could see a good ways up and down it. As I drove it to the end of the street and prepared to bring it back a police car turned onto my street so I pulled my car to the side of the road so it wouldnt get run over. The police car though pulls behind my car and just sits there for. wtf? So i drive it along the gutter to bring it back closer to myself when the cop turns on lights and sirens and follows behind the car!

Eventually I get the car back to where I am standing and shut it off and the officer turns off the sirens (leaves the lights on though) and asks how fast I was going.
cop: "neat car, going that fast you could really hurt someone I bet so watch out for dogs and small kids."

Haha nice! I guess thats one way to figure out how fast your car is
Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina

What? He didn't ask for license, registration, and insurance? And no ticket?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Let's see...

Drove 90 minutes to a race and left my Tx at home.
Had a front wheel pop off on the last lap of a qualifier.
Countless times started my engine with my Tx off and the throttle mashed!
Spent several frustrated minutes trying to start an engine before finally noticing I was out of gas.
Tripped over some extra flexible pipe running to marshal a car, did an air step and slammed into the ground surrounded by 40 people all quite impressed.
Left a body at home and was so pissed I just ran topless all day.
That's all I can think of now but I expect many more as I continue to enjoy this hobby.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

kind of a "doh" moment on my part.the pit lane was right after a sweeping corner,and there was a small jump about even with the entrance to pit lane,if you really nailed it you could clear all the crap in the middle... .one of my co-workers was standing next to pit lane when i came out of the corner pretty hot, but with a push too...fotrunatley it was the bottom of my 1/8 buggy that hit him squarely on the noggin!he staggered abit then cussed a little longer,but eventually got over it.damn i felt kind of bad.

other wtf's when the guy that causes a crash yells the loudest.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=dethklok151;4880675]kind of a "doh" moment on my part.the pit lane was right after a sweeping corner,and there was a small jump about even with the entrance to pit lane,if you really nailed it you could clear all the crap in the middle... .one of my co-workers was standing next to pit lane when i came out of the corner pretty hot, but with a push too...fotrunatley it was the bottom of my 1/8 buggy that hit him squarely on the noggin!he staggered abit then cussed a little longer,but eventually got over it.damn i felt kind of bad.

other wtf's when the guy that causes a crash yells the loudest.[/QUOTE]

QUOTED FOR TRUTH
Old 09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Its not really a good story, but definitely a WTF!?!?! How about when you marshall, and the driver will not let up on the throttle, even when they realize you wont pick up the car till they do!! People don't get it!?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Pulled a WTF a year or so back when pitting for my son. I am starting his truck on pit lane getting ready for the next heat. His is the chrome top and I had the pegs set to hold the chassis very snug. When I picked up his car the starter box came up also then fell. I didn't want it to hit the ground so I used my leg to catch it between me and the pit lane wall. Well, I caught it all right, the starter box engaged because I was pressing on the top plate with my leg. The starter wheel immediately burnt a hole in my pants and continued to cut through the skin and flesh on my inner thigh. I couldn't get my leg away fast enough.

Learned my lesson the hard way. Any starter box falling will not be caught by me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.