Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
rebuilding shocks. >

rebuilding shocks.

rebuilding shocks.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default rebuilding shocks.

im going to pull ny shocks off today and put new oils and aluminum heads on them but i was wondering what kind of oil and how much i should run just as a starter? i mean im new to oil weight and how much so what is an average to start at and then i can add some or put thinner or thicker oil basiclly can somone explain how the shock fluid works
Old 09-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

I would see what the guys are using at the track. What car?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

This will help whit how to re-build your shocks.... As for oil weights, i would see what people at your track are running!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

can i buy a shock rebuild kit?.. and do i have to rebuild them all the time? or what? today i took the cap off pourd the oil out and put new 30wt oil in how do i know when to rebuild?...?

also the guy i got my car from cut a hold in the bladder and did the hole in the cap to bleed them he said i wasnt sure what it was all about but can somone explain that trick?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

You don't need to rebuild every time you change the oil. I only rebuild mine when they start leaking from the shaft seals, Otherwise if i'm just changing oil, just drain and refill. As for how often the oil needs replacing, it depends how much and how serious you race? Maybe every gallon or so?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Tech Adept

any info on the bleeding technique mentioned?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

I bleed mine a little different to the vid... Once i've filled the shocks with oil and got all the air bubbles out from behind the piston, i install 2 bottom spring retainers on the end of the shock shaft and push the shaft in till it bottoms on the second retainer. Then i top up the oil to just bellow level with the top of the shock body and install the shock cap with bladder installed by winding it on 2 turns. Then hold the shock at an angle with the bleed hole at the top and slowly turn the shock body into the cap. As you tighten the shock body into the cap, you will have a small amount of oil and some air bubbles coming out of the bleed hole. Once the cap is tight, remove the spring retainers and pust the shock shaft in till the ball end bottoms on the shock body. When you let go of the shaft, it should self extend about 10-15mm (1/2 inch). This will give you a rebound of about 30%.

There are many different ways people bleed their shocks. This is how i find to be the most consistant for me. The aim is to get your shock rebounds balanced left to right.

Hope this helps!......