R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Need Tires (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/242331-need-tires.html)

TC3ElectricGuy 09-14-2008 12:03 AM

Need Tires

Ok. finished my race meeting today and car ran great for most part. but i think i'm lacking in grip. (car is in sig)

the surface of the track is hard but dusty. i was running Proline bowties on the rear and crimefighters on the front.

I would like to know what people could better recommend to get A) more forward bite and B) better steering (though steering wasn't too bad). i would like more grip and something that isn't going to flip my car over sideways because of a nasty sidewall on the tire.

the brands i have available to me at my LHS are Proline, VP Pro, Panther and GRP.

thanks in advance.

cm27456 09-14-2008 12:21 AM

that is pretty much the best setup for forward bite and steering, but if you use the M2 compound it should be alot better.

Brian Bosley 09-14-2008 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by TC3ElectricGuy (Post 4836404)
Ok. finished my race meeting today and car ran great for most part. but i think i'm lacking in grip. (car is in sig)

the surface of the track is hard but dusty. i was running Proline bowties on the rear and crimefighters on the front.

I would like to know what people could better recommend to get A) more forward bite and B) better steering (though steering wasn't too bad). i would like more grip and something that isn't going to flip my car over sideways because of a nasty sidewall on the tire.

the brands i have available to me at my LHS are Proline, VP Pro, Panther and GRP.

thanks in advance.

Out of those brands, the Panther Gater in soft or medium soft would work well using the harder tire the drier the track is. You already have the best option from Proline, GRP Jolly's have always been one of my favorites especially now with the softer compound (again unless your track is super bone dry) Tebo has been using this same set of tires for YEARS to win races.

I would also recommend that you check out the Twister/ATS Adherence, most everyone likes the super soft AA compound which is not quite similar to Pro-line's M3's but not the M2's either. They come pre-mounted for $20/pair with firm molded foams and do not exhibit the traction roll characteristics that some of the softer tires do because of the thicker/stronger sidewall.

http://www.twistertiresusa.com

http://www.twistertiresusa.com/image...rence-tire.jpg

TC3ElectricGuy 09-14-2008 04:14 PM

i bought my wheels tires 2nd hand, but in new conditions so i really don't have any idea on the compound of the foam/tire. they do feel firm though

i'll buy some soft compound tyres and see how that goes for me.

RX313BT 09-15-2008 03:04 AM

I race on a loose hardpack track, on my X1 i have used crimefighters M2s, bowties, its what most use at my local track but i realy dont like them, feels like there is no traction, but my favs are Panther komodo 2s in soft or medium compound, but i think it may come down to personal preference and driving style.

TC3ElectricGuy 09-15-2008 03:39 AM

has anyone tried Proline Step-Ups. they say they are for Loamy tracks and from what i've read that is what our track is.

porkchop 09-15-2008 04:35 AM

aka city block med compound
all day you wont be lacking grip

AutoXMan 09-15-2008 07:49 AM

Did you ask what other people are running at your track? That's the best way, we have no idea of your conditions other than what your wrote.

TC3ElectricGuy 09-15-2008 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by AutoXMan (Post 4840678)
Did you ask what other people are running at your track? That's the best way, we have no idea of your conditions other than what your wrote.

wow. a response from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

what i gave were details of the track and what i'm running now. the helpful experienced people on this site (and i thank them) have given me other options that i was unaware of, hense starting this thread.

autoxman, next time leave those comments to yourself and don't reply, your just wasting my time.

nitro0619 09-16-2008 02:43 PM

try a set of the new panther raptors

K_B 09-16-2008 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by TC3ElectricGuy (Post 4842084)
wow. a response from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

what i gave were details of the track and what i'm running now. the helpful experienced people on this site (and i thank them) have given me other options that i was unaware of, hense starting this thread.

autoxman, next time leave those comments to yourself and don't reply, your just wasting my time.

AutoX isn't trying to be a jerk. He's right. The best way to determine tires is to ask the fast guys running on YOUR track. Your asking complete strangers, who you don't even know, who are thousands of miles away and have very little idea of what you're running even though you gave a good description.

Jamie22 09-16-2008 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by K_B (Post 4845905)
AutoX isn't trying to be a jerk. He's right. The best way to determine tires is to ask the fast guys running on YOUR track. Your asking complete strangers, who you don't even know, who are thousands of miles away and have very little idea of what you're running even though you gave a good description.

^^ well said ! On the crimefighters you were running did your try trimming the outer edge off ?

stump27 09-16-2008 06:22 PM

don't be afraid to try stuff either.... sometimes what feels good may in fact be slower. look at lap times.